1 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 117
  • Thirty-fourth Street Improvements - Washington DC
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved a segment of Thirty-fourth Street from Alabama Avenue to U Street. The WPA improved this road with recycled material and the “laying of a thin blanket of bituminous material.” It involved “approximately 4,500 square yards.”  
  • Montello Avenue Improvements - Washington DC
    In 1936-37, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved the District of Columbia property yard at Montello Avenue and Mount Olivet Road. The work consisted of road paving.  
  • Van Ness Street NW Improvements - Washington DC
    In 1936-37, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved a segment of Van Ness Street NW., from Forty-second to Forty-sixth Streets. The WPA improved this road with recycled material and the “laying of a thin blanket of bituminous material.” It was described as “a major project involving approximately 10,000 square yards.”
  • Wildwood Elementary School Additions - Piedmont CA
    Wildwood Elementary School in Piedmont CA was expanded under the New Deal, with the addition of new classroom buildings and an auditorium. Prior to that, about one-third of Piedmont students were being taught in temporary buildings (derisively called 'shacks' by the locals). There had been three previous efforts in the 1920s to replace temporary school buildings in Piedmont but the bond issues lost (Tribune 1942).   After the school board sought and gained a promise of $83,000 in funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1933, a new bond issue for $233,000 passed in December of that year.  Of the...
  • Michigan Avenue NE Improvements - Washington DC
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements to Michigan Avenue NE., low-level roadway south of viaduct from Seventh Street to Baltimore & Ohio R. R. tracks, thence north under viaduct to University Station. The WPA improved this road with recycled material and the “laying of a thin blanket of bituminous material.”  
  • Kendall Avenue NE Improvements - Washington DC
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements to Kendall Avenue NE., from New York Avenue to Oakie Street, serving as a bypass to West Virginia Avenue. The WPA improved this road with recycled material and the “laying of a thin blanket of bituminous material.”  
  • Brookland Avenue NE Improvements - Washington DC
    In 1936-37, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved a segment of Brookland Avenue NE between Michigan Avenue to Bates Road. WPA improved this road with recycled material and the “laying of a thin blanket of bituminous material.” Also, “this project required a fill of about 10 feet at the Michigan Avenue end, due to the necessity for raising the grade at this location in connection with the construction of the Michigan Avenue viaduct.”
  • Babcock State Park: Glade Creek Dam - Clifftop WV
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Glade Creek Dam in Babcock State Park in Clifftop WV. Babcock State Park contains 46 New Deal/CCC era resources on 4,127 acres near Clifftop, Fayette County, West Virginia. The land was purchased from the Babcock Coal & Coke Company to create a state park. CCC Company 1522 established Camp Beaver on 14 May 1934 lasting until 14 August 1937. Camp Lee was occupied by CCC Company 532 on 10 July 1935, and remained active until late 1941 or early 1942.  
  • Babcock State Park: Car Bridge - Clifftop WV
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a car bridge in Babcock State Park in Clifftop WV. Babcock State Park contains 46 New Deal/CCC era resources on 4,127 acres near Clifftop, Fayette County, West Virginia. The land was purchased from the Babcock Coal & Coke Company to create a state park. CCC Company 1522 established Camp Beaver on 14 May 1934 lasting until 14 August 1937. Camp Lee was occupied by CCC Company 532 on 10 July 1935, and remained active until late 1941 or early 1942.
  • Los Angeles Department of Water and Power: Mojave District Headquarters - Mojave CA
    The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Office and Warehouse for Los Angeles Department of Water and Power's Mojave District Headquarters. The DWP's Mojave District was responsible for operations and maintenance of the Los Angeles Aqueduct in the Mojave desert area, between Los Angeles and the Owens Valley. The building is a fine example of the "PWA Moderne" style.
1 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 117