1 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 116
  • Bergfeld Park Improvements - Tyler TX
    In 1913 the City of Tyler purchased the land for Bergfeld Park. Starting in 1936, the Works Progress Administration made improvements to the park including a stone amphitheater, rock culverts, and a rock lined creek, restrooms, and tennis courts. The city renovated the amphitheater in 2017 with a new stage and seating arrangement.
  • School - Mossville MS
    Mossville classroom building was constructed 1937 with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds as project W1072. A loan for $14,000 was combined with a grant for $11,454, approved 11/14/1935. The contract was awarded 2/10/1936, constructed begun May 7, and completed January 29, 1937. Architect was Edgar Lucian Malvaney. The building was destroyed 1943.
  • Madison Park Improvements - Seattle WA
    Madison Park, located at the eastern end of Madison Streeet, next to Lake Washington, was the site of several small Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects. The first of these projects involved the replacement of the park's clay tennis courts near the intersection of East Blaine Street and 42nd Avenue East. Installed in 1936, the new tennis courts were built with reinforced concrete, which the Park Department preferred due to lower maintenance costs and their potential use for other recreational activities, such as roller skating. Then, in the spring of 1937, WPA workers began remodeling the park's bathhouse, a wood-frame structure originally...
  • Sidewalks on South Washington Street - Prescott AZ
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built sidewalks all around Prescott AZ, including on the 300 block of South Washington Street, between 1936 and 1938. The WPA sidewalks on S. Washington are in good condition after eight decades. The contributors notes: "These WPA-marked sidewalks located in a "historical" district, and we would like to keep them. The city wants to rip them up."
  • Georgetown Playground Improvements - Seattle WA
    With the help of Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor, the Seattle Park Department made improvements to the Georgetown Playground at South Homer Street and Corson Avenue. In 1936, WPA workers built a reinforced concrete wading pool along the eastern edge of the playground. According to Park Department records, “This pool was made so that the water can be maintained at two different depths; one at 18 inches for wading and the other at 30 inches so the children can learn to swim.” The Park Department provided $1,384 worth of materials for the pool and the WPA provided the paid labor....
  • Gym and Auditorium - Throckmorton TX
    The gym and auditorium in Throckmorton, Texas is a two-story rock building built by the Works Progress Administration.
  • High School - Haskell TX
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the High School in Haskell, Texas. A story published in the Abilene Reporter-News in 1936 provides details about the project: "Prepare to Build Haskell’s School HASKELL, Sept. 19. - Razing of ruins of the old Haskell high school building, burned March 20, will begin early next week and construction on the new $47,000 building replacing it will be started as soon as possible, Superintendent 0. B. were announced Saturday. The new structure, a one-story brick building, is being constructed through a loan and grant from the PWA. The building will contain eleven classrooms, a library,...
  • Putnam Disposal Plant - Putnam CT
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a disposal plant in Putnam CT, circa 1936-1937. The WPA-built facilities included the control house and plant filter beds.
  • Seagle Building - Gainesville FL
    A Gainesville FL landmark building that began construction in 1926 but was unfinished until New Deal agency (PWA and WPA) funding made completion possible. It was used by University of Florida following completion in 1937 and later was converted into residential units above office.
  • State Highway 29 Bridge at the Colorado River - Burnet TX
    The construction of the Colorado River bridge was part of a larger THD undertaking to reroute SH 29 around Buchanan Dam, which was under construction beginning in 1931. The original roadway and the bridge across the Colorado at Bluffton were inundated by Lake Buchanan after completion of the dam in 1937. The bridge site was fixed 1 mile below the Buchanan Dam, at a location where a granite outcropping formed a ledge at the east bank of the river. This ledge was considered an ideal location for the eastern approach to the bridge. In a preliminary inspection report dated July 17,...
1 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 116