1 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 117
  • School Improvements - Farmhaven MS
    Unspecified school improvements were approved by WPA for the Farmhaven community school in 1936.
  • School and Vocational Teacher House - Coxburg MS
    Project W1204 was approved July 21, 1936 in the amount of a $20,000 loan and a $17,590 grant. Construction began October 12, and was completed December 29, 1937 for a total cost of $41,043. Robert William Naef was architect. Both buildings replaced the school and vocational teacher house destroyed by fire in 1935,
  • Municipal Building (former) - Haverstraw NY
    The old Haverstraw Municipal Building, which now serves as a Fire Department facility, 25 Fairmount Ave., was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $39,000 loan and $31,909 grant for the project, whose total cost was $81,681. Construction occurred between Dec. 1936 and Aug. 1937. PWA Docket No. NY 1313
  • Letchworth Village (abandoned) Development - Thiells NY
    The former, and since-abandoned, Letchworth Village institution was expanded with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $204,592 grant for the project, whose total cost was $460,431. Construction occurred between Mar. 1936 and Jul. 1937. One document summarizes the project as "HOSP ADD," Location: Pomona. PWA Docket No. NY 1250
  • Ramsey High School - Ramsey NJ
    The monumental Ramsey High School was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $270,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $600,106. Construction occurred between Jan. 1936 and Apr. 1937. PWA Docket No. NJ 1047-R. RamseyHistory.org: “The first high school class (2 students) graduated in 1909 from the school that is now Ramsey’s Borough Hall (There were schools before that in Ramsey, but this was the first full four year High School course approved by State authorities). After that, starting in 1912, the Dater School building (recently torn down) was the high...
  • Andes Central School - Andes NY
    Andes Central School in Andes, New York was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $90,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $209,677. Construction occurred between Nov. 1936 and Oct. 1937. PWA Docket No. NY 8577-D
  • Clinton Street Bridge - Binghamton NY
    A graceful Art Deco bridge carries Clinton Street over Chenango River in downtown Binghamton, New York. The project was enabled by funding from the federal Public Works Administration (Docket No. NY 1321-R). The PWA provided a $162,297 grant for the project, whose total cost was $562,763. Dedication plaques can be found at both the bridges northeast and southwest corners. Construction occurred between Mar. 1936 and Jun. 1937. Nearby, a parallel underpass construction project, which carried rail traffic over Clinton Street, was also enabled by the PWA.
  • Vocational Building - Minter City MS
    PWA project W1101 erected a two-story brick veneer vocational building and home economics building in 1935. Architect R. J. Moor designed the building and it was built by A. M. Allen of Moorhead at a cost of $8,230. A grant of $4,450 and loan of $5,500 were awarded Sep. 25, 1935. School bonds were issued following an election November 1935. Construction began Feb. 5, 1936 and was completed Oct. 15, 1936.
  • Waterworks and Sewerage - Duck Hill MS
    PWA project W1164 for $34,545 was approved for Duck Hill January 17, 1936. A $19,000 loan was approved, with a grant of $15,545. Bids were advertised May 1936 for an "8 inch by 200 foot deep well and pump, 50,000 gallon elevated water storage tank, chlorinator, booster pump, water distribution system, septic tank and manholes and sewerage collection system" (Winona Times, May 29, 1936, p. 6). Construction began August 10, 1936 and was completed August 5, 1937.
  • Roadside Park - Gonzales TX
    The National Youth Administration (NYA) in cooperation with the Texas Highway Department created roadside picnic areas in Texas. The Gonzales park, constructed adjacent to U. S. Highway 183 near the south bank of the Guadalupe River was part of the development of roadside parks begun in 1935 in anticipation of tourists and visitors to Texas for the 1936 Texas Centennial celebration. The typically shaded areas of these roadside parks offered drivers and their passengers respite on hot summer days as cars of this era had no air conditioning. The Gonzales park is one of the few of the 674 parks...
1 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 117