1 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 117
  • CCC State Forester's Camp (former) - Salem OR
    Currently the administrative center for the Oregon Department of Forestry, this site was first developed in 1936 as the maintenance camp for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), which coordinated its activities with the State Forester's Office. From the first Civilian Conservation Corps camps in 1933 to their closure at the beginning of World War II, Oregon was second only to California in the number of camps west of the Mississippi.  Various state agencies supervised CCC work based on camp location and work program. The State Forester held jurisdiction over camps located in state forests or on private land. The state agency’s newsletter...
  • Waterworks - Inverness MS
    PWA W1061 supported the construction of an artesian well, water main, and waterworks distribution system. A loan of $4,000 and a grant of $3,501 was approved 9/25/1935. Contracts were awarded 11/18/1935. Construction began 1/20/1936 and was completed 4/4/1936. Even though there was a rush for overtime in September to complete applications by the deadline, Mississippi halted work for an hour "out of respect to Mrs. Harold L. Ickes, wife of the national administrator, killed in an automobile accident in Texas Saturday night" (Workers pause, 1935, p. 10).
  • Naval Research Laboratory Improvements - Washington DC
    The Naval Research Laboratory has been a major research facility for the US Navy and military since it was founded at the instigation of Thomas Edison in 1923. It is located along the Potomac River at the southern tip of the District of Columbia. In 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) carried out repairs and made additions to the US Naval Research Laboratory.  Principle among these was a large addition to the field house.  The WPA teams also added roads, sewers and storm drains, and landscaping. Navy Bulletin No. 38 provides more specifics: “At the Naval Research Laboratory, Bellevue, D. C., the major...
  • Glendale School - Glen MS
    Public Works Administration project 1083 funded the construction of the Glendale School in Alcorn County Mississippi. A loan of $8,500 and grant of $6,954 was approved 9/25/1935. Construction started 2/10/1936 and was completed 1/18/1937 for a total of $15,581. The newspaper accounts identify approval for a school building and annex.
  • Rollinsford Grade School - Rollinsford NH
    The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Rollinsford Grade School. The structure was built in 1936, and consists of a large T-shaped two story gabled roof building in the Colonial Revival style. The town-wide school was grades 1-8. At present it is grades K-6.  
  • Forest History Center - Salem OR
    This small, rustic structure was built by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers as the administrative building for Oregon’s CCC headquarters. Today it serves as the Forest History Center of the Oregon State Department of Forestry. Oregon had as many as fourteen CCC camps under the jurisdiction of the State’s Forester during the corps’ operation between 1933 and 1942. When plans for construction of a State Forest Department headquarters began in 1935, a 4.5 acre site had already been acquired to the east of Salem to accommodate the state's CCC headquarters.  Located on the eastern banks of Mill Creek, the CCC headquarters...
  • Oregon Department of Forestry Complex - Salem OR
    Historically identified as the Oregon State Forester’s Office Complex, the Oregon Department of Forestry Complex was developed by workers from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The Historic American Buildings Survey described this complex as a significant example of New Deal-era planning and development. It includes 4.5 acres originally utilized as the state headquarters for the Civilian Conservation Corps and 7.25 acres purchased for the Oregon State Forester’s Office and forest service supplies. Although new construction exists, the lay-out, buildings and landscaping are a legacy of WPA and CCC work and the collaborative contributions of the...
  • Bureau of Engraving and Printing Annex - Washington DC
    A new annex was constructed for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in 1936-38. The building was authorized by Congress in 1935 for $6.3 million, but the funds flowed through the Public Works Administration (PWA).   The Treasury Department's Procurement Division handled the design through its architecture office, put out the contract and supervised construction, which was carried out by the John McShain Co. (Evening Star, 1936). In its 1936 fiscal year report, the U.S. Treasury noted: “On August 12, 1935, Congress authorized the construction of a new annex to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to be located on a site...
  • National Zoo: Bird House Addition - Washington DC
    The south wing of the Bird House at National Zoo – which had been left off the original building in 1927-28 – was constructed in 1936 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). It completed the the imposing, Romanesque style Bird House, adding space for more cages/exhibits and housing the Bird Resource Center. The PWA contributed around $1 million to several zoo improvement projects in the 1930s, including new elephant house, a small mammal house and an addition to the bird house.  The separate cost of the Bird House addition is undetermined.  The original building had been design by Albert Harris and the...
  • Government Publishing Office: Warehouse, Building #4 - Washington DC
    The U.S. Government Publishing Office (USGPO) is a four building complex, which was called the Government Printing Office until the name was changed to the Government Publishing Office in 2014.  The USGPO warehouse, also known as Building #4 of the complex, was constructed in 1936-38 by the Charles H. Tomkins Co. under a $1,042,930 contract with the Procurement Division of the U.S. Treasury.   The Treasury had long been responsible for all government (non-military) buildings and a new Procurement Division was created in 1933 by the incoming Franklin Roosevelt Administration to coordinate all such activities.  The design of the building was done under...
1 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 117