1 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 105
  • Goose Island State Park - Rockport TX
    Goose Island State Park is on Aransas Bay near Rockport, Texas. The 321.4-acre park was acquired in 1931-1935 by deeds from private owners and a legislative act setting aside the state-owned Goose Island as a state park. The park is currently administered by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1801 performed initial development work on Goose Island State Park during two six-month periods in 1934 and 1935. The CCC worked in clearing undergrowth, planting trees, and caring for "Big Tree," a 1000 year old coastal live oak thought to be one of the largest in the...
  • Gooseberry Falls State Park - Silver Creek MN
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a variety of structures at Gooseberry State Park: “the refectory, concourse, caretaker’s cabin, and entrance portals.” These sites show excellent stonework in red, brown, and black granite. The work was overseen by “John Berini and Joe Cattaneo (also spelled Catanio), Italian American stonemasons from Duluth, and Axel Anderson, a Swede.”
  • Gordon Park Improvements - Milwaukee WI
    "Repairing and painting of buildings, including band shells, bathhouses, pavilions, bridges, residences, service buildings and playground buildings in the following parks...Gordon Park."
  • Gorman Playground - East Elmhurst NY
    Gorman playground at 84th St. and 25th Ave. in the East Elmhurst neighborhood of Queens was one of five “model playgrounds” designed as templates for further playground development by Robert Moses and his team after Moses assumed control of the New York City Parks Department in 1934. According to a Department press release announcing the opening, when Gorman Playground, then named "Jackson Heights Model Playground," opened in 1934 it contained a: "Recreation building containing a large play room, lavatories, mothers room, directors' room and storage space. The rear wall of the recreation building will be used for 4 handball courts. The...
  • Grace Playground - Brooklyn NY
    On July 28, 1937, the Department of Parks announced the opening of "five playgrounds, constructed by the Department of Parks with relief labor and funds," noting that "These playgrounds are five of the twenty-four sites in neglected areas selected by the Commissioner of Parks and acquired by condemnation after authorization by the Board of Estimate and Apportionment on July 15, 1936." One of these five playgrounds was Grace Playground. The playground has since been expanded, most recently in 1994. Although the 1937 press release does not mention which New Deal agencies were involved, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that almost all...
  • Graeser Park - Robbinsdale MN
    Eighty years ago a park was developed by Minnesota Department of Transportation that would become of historic significance some years later. That park is Graeser Park, named after Carl Graeser, designer of State Highway 100, aka Beltline and Lilac Parkway. Through time, change and neglect many of those roadside rest stops have been lost. Robbinsdale is fortunate to have one of the only two remaining in the country, with a Beehive fireplace. Graeser Park has shared many years of enjoyment, in addition to its share of neglect. Many groups and individuals have helped to dig out the limestone benches, paths and ponds...
  • Gramma Lake: Dam and Lake - Comanche County OK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Gramma Lake by constructing this dam—one of many the CCC created in Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge—in 1936-7. The dam was a "rock and earthen project." CCC camp No. B-F-1 was responsible for this dam's construction, which was underway in 1936 and completed in 1937 or 1939 (depending on source; the lake is also sometimes spelled "Grama").
  • Grand Army Plaza Improvements - Brooklyn NY
    A Department of Parks press release from March 17, 1935 describes the extensive improvements made to Brooklyn's Grand Army Plaza with New Deal support: "The Grand Army Plaza, constituting the main entrance to Prospect Park, Brooklyn, is to be completely rebuilt by the Department of Parks. The general design will remain unchanged but the promenade around the Bailey Memorial Fountain has been redesigned and the north entrances have been relocated away from the existing subway grating which is to be completely shielded by ground covering. The path around the oval is to be relocated somewhat nearer to the street to increase the...
  • Grand Canyon Village Improvements - Grand Canyon Village AZ
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was extremely active in Grand Canyon National Park throughout the New Deal. The CCC enrollees worked under the direction of the National Park Service (NPS) and some of the projects were funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA).  The first CCC camp was established on the South Rim, where Company 819 started working on improvements to the facilities around Grand Canyon Village, the main visitor center for the park, c. 1933-1937. The CCC enrollees built a stone wall along the Rim Trail, the Kolb Studio stairs, the Community Building, rock pillars on Navajo Street, and various paths, culverts,...
  • Grand Forks County Fairgrounds - Grand Forks ND
    "Grand Forks County Fairgrounds WPA Structures is a collection of five structures within the Grand Forks County Fairgrounds in Grand Forks, North Dakota, that were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. The structures are the fairgrounds entrance gate, ticket kiosk, administration building, and cairns, all built from stone, as well as the fairgrounds grandstand. They are located on the grounds of the Grand Forks State Fair Grounds and are associated with the River Cities Speedway. "The five remaining structures have been recognized as historically significant, examples of the importance of county and state fairs to local culture...
  • Grand Portage National Monument Improvements - Grand Portage MN
    “Of all the Minnesota CCC-ID projects perhaps the most well known is the reconstruction of the North West Company Fur Post, a historic fur trade site at Grand Portage on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Grand Portage (‘the great carrying place’) was part of an age-old route connecting Lake Superior with inland waterways used first by Indians and later also by fur traders. Between 1778 and 1802, a large fur trading organization, the North West Company, built a summer rendezvouz and supply center there, on the shores of Lake Superior. In 1933, CCC-ID enrollees started work by clearing nine...
  • Grand Teton National Park - WY
    "Camps were set up at several locations in the valley, at Leigh Lake, Lizard Point, and "Hot Springs" near Colter Bay. In 1934, Camp NP-4, the most prominent camp, was built at the south end of Jenny Lake. CCC crews manned this camp through 1942. Civilian Conservation Corps laborers worked on a variety of projects. The Superintendent's Report for August 1936 listed the following: landscaping headquarters; improvement and development of a campground at Jenny Lake; construction of fireplaces; construction of barriers at Jenny Lake campground; construction of table and bench combinations at Jenny Lake; construction of permanent employees' dwellings headquarters; extension...
  • Grandad Bluff Shelter - La Crosse WI
    "Along the Upper Mississippi, WPA employees built ... the stone shelter atop Grandad Bluff in La Crosse, Wisconsin ..."
  • Grandview Lookout Tower - Kaibab National Forest AZ
    "Grandview Lookout Tower stands over 80 feet in height. The tower was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1936 in order to locate forest fires in their early stages of development. The tower is part of a series of fire watch structures including Kendrick Mountain and Bill Williams Mountain lookouts that survey the northern portion of the Kaibab National Forest. The tower is still staffed today during fire months in the summer and is open to visitors during that time. The view from the top includes a large portion of the Grand Canyon and nearby San Francisco Peaks and...
  • Grandview Park Bandshell - Sioux City IA
    Constructed as a New Deal project (attributed on one page to the Civil Works Administration, but more likely, based on the date, a Federal Emergency Relief Administration construction), Sioux City's historic Grandview Park Bandshell "is 102 feet wide, 51 feet high and cost around $51,000 to build in 1935." The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Granite Hot Springs Swimming Pool – Bridger-Teton National Forest WY
    In 1933, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers stationed in the Bridger-Teton National Forest constructed the Granite Hot Springs Swimming Pool recreational site by building a deck, changing room, and campground around the natural springs. Today, the Granite Hot Springs Swimming Pool is used by tourists and Wyoming residents alike. Water temperatures range from 93° in the summer to 112° in the winter. A historical marker placed near the site describes the CCC’s work on the swimming pool. No doubt, the deck has been renovated over the years.
  • Grant Park - Phoenix AZ
    "A major park that African Americans on the west side frequented was Grant Park, located at 3rd Avenue and Grant Street. Grant Park existed as an empty lot with grass and trees until the city Parks and Recreation Department renovated it in 1934 through Civil Works Administration funding. In 1937 Works Progress Administration funding provided for the construction at Eastlake Park of a bathhouse, showers, and dressing rooms for the pool. Two years later, the city added lights, swings, sandboxes, sports facilities, and equipment. The park added a bandstand, tennis courts, and a recreation hall where teens in the 1950s...
  • Grant Park Bathhouse - Milwaukee WI
    "The temporary Grant Park bathhouse at the foot of Lake Michigan was replaced by the WPA with a permanent building of Colonial design, complete with open-air dressing yards that sat on a raised stone terrace overlooking the beach and lake. The furniture on the terrace was also designed and built by skilled craftsman who worked under federal programs. "
  • Grant Park Improvements - Atlanta GA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to improve Atlanta's Grant Park ca. 1936.
  • Granville Park - Winston-Salem NC
    "West Salem's own Granville Park has the WPA's mark in its majestic gazebo and its artful bridges."
  • Granville State Forest - Granville MA
    Prior to colonial settlement, the area of Granville State Forest was inhabited by the Tunxis Native American tribe. In the mid-1700s, English pioneer Samuel Hubbard purchased the land for farming and pasturage, and the river that runs through the forest is now named the Hubbard River. The property was bought and owned by Tiffany and Pickett Lumber Company near the turn of the 20th century. In the 1920s, the Commonwealth obtained the land from the lumber company but little improvements were made before the CCC Camp was established. The Civilian Conservation Corps began work on Granville State Forest in 1933. CCC...
  • Grapevine Springs Preserve - Coppell TX
    Today, Grapevine Springs Preserve is completely surrounded by the City of Coppell, but, in 1843, it was a wilderness where Sam Houston, then President of the Republic of Texas, and others camped while successfully negotiating a peace treaty with local Native American tribes. Dallas County accepted the donation of the land for a park in 1936. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) turned the area into a public park and built the rock-lined channel, walls, flumes, bridge abutments, grills, and paths that still exist. During World War II, the land reverted to prior owners. The Baptist Foundation of Texas acquired the property, and...
  • Gravesend Park Playground - Brooklyn NY
    On May 25, 1942 the Parks Department announced the completion of a major reconstruction of the Gravesend Park Playground in Brooklyn. After removing much outdated equipment, the WPA constructed significant new facilities: "The new development permits greater utilization of space by segregation of smaller compact use areas equipped with increased facilities. A central tree shaded bench lined mall extends from the main park gate to the existing comfort station which has been given a new setting of block paving, trees and a flagpole. On both sides of the mall two main fence enclosed sections, approximately 1 acre each, are subdivided into various...
  • Graydon Pool Expansion - Ridgewood NJ
    "Graydon Park is at the heart of the Village of Ridgewood – its seven acres of open space provide an oasis of green parkland for the residents of this densely developed suburb. Celebrating its 100th anniversary this year, this historic park is home to a threatened unique resource – Graydon Pool. This 2.68 acre natural, sandy-bottomed spring-fed swimming pond, was constructed in 1926 as part of a larger national movement to create municipal parks and pools to promote community interaction. The pool (or pool/lake, called a "plake") was enlarged to its current size as part of a Works Progress Administration...
  • Great Smoky Mountains National Park Development - Gatlinburg TN
    Great Smoky Mountains National Park occupies large areas of western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee. The park’s creation was a decades-long process, including advocacy in the late 19th century; legislation signed by President Calvin Coolidge in 1926; and donations and land acquisitions from small donors, the governments of North Carolina and Tennessee, and charitable organizations, such as the Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial Fund. Once the park’s existence was firmly established, funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) and labor from the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made it both accessible and accommodating to the public. President Franklin Roosevelt dedicated the park on...
  • Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Chimneys Picnic Area - Gatlinburg TN
    The CCC built comfort stations out of rustic stone at the Chimneys Picnic Area.
  • Great Stone Face Park Improvements - Berkeley CA
    The WPA re-landscaped and repaired park walks.
  • Greek Amphitheater - Magnolia AR
    The amphitheater, located on the campus of Southern Arkansas University, was constructed by the NYA in 1936-38.
  • Green Brook Park - Plainfield NJ
    Multiple New Deal agencies worked to develop Green Brook Park in Plainfield, New Jersey beginning in 1933. The project involved the construction of a 1.55-acre artificial lake (which could be converted into an ice skating rink during the winter); the stocking of said lake with fish; the building of a footbridge across the brook; grass seeding; small dams to create modest waterfalls along the brook; paths around the lake and through the park; construction of a baseball diamond; and the planting of more than 2,000 trees, shrubs, and other plants.
  • Green City Park - Green KS
    The Works Progress administration built the City Park in Green, KS in 1938. Project no. 7392. The exact location of this park is unknown to the Living New Deal.
  • Green Fall Pond Bath House - Voluntown CT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed a bath house at Green Fall Pond / in Voluntown, Connecticut. The exact location and status of the facility are presently unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Green Lakes State Park - Fayetteville NY
    "During the Great Depression (1929-1939), the New York State Department of Conservation (under the administration of then-governor Franklin Delano Roosevelt) and later the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the park's roads, buildings, cabins, golf course and trails. CCC camps for project SP-12 were created on the property of the park. CCC company 1203, and subsequently 2211 (a company of veterans of the 1898 Spanish–American War), were assigned to the project. These men hauled loads of sand from Sylvan Beach (on nearby Oneida Lake) to create a sandy beach; they dug the basements of the park buildings by hand. The CCC...
  • Green Lakes State Park Golf Course - Fayetteville NY
    "Green Lakes State Park has an 18-hole public golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones in 1935. The course was one of Trent Jones' earliest; ultimately, he was credited with designing about 500 courses. In lieu of payment for its design, he was given a ten-year lease for $1.00/year. Jones opened the course on May 6, 1936."
  • Green Mountain National Forest - VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Green Mountain National Forest in Vermont during the 1930s. "The Depression-era legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps (established in 1933 as part of Roosevelt’s “New Deal”) is reflected on the Forest. At one time during the 1930's there were 5 active CCC camps on the Forest (Mt Tabor, Weston, Peru, West River and Rochester).  The men at these camps built roads, trails and campgrounds, fought fires, planted trees and generally established much of the infrastructure of the early National Forest. Today a few of the buildings and many of the features, travel ways and landscapes...
  • Green Ridge State Forest - Flintstone MD
    At 47,560 acres, Green Ridge State Forest is the second largest state forest in Maryland and the “largest contiguous block of public land in Maryland.” It offers opportunities for target shooting, hunting, fishing, primitive camping, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, a driving tour, “geocaching” (see https://www.geocaching.com/), and paddling. According to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, “The first forest management activities at Green Ridge were performed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930’s. Their main focus was fire control. Other work consisted of building roads, trails, recreation enhancements, and the management of existing forest for its future timber and...
  • Green River Swimming Area Facilities - Greenfield MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers developed recreation improvements at Greenfield's Green River Swimming and Recreation Area and Murphy Park, during the 1930s. WPA Bulletin: Children of Greenfield have benefited by the WPA construction of a new bath house and other improvements at the Greenfield Swimming Pool. Tennis courts and a soft ball diamond were built in the adjoining public park property.
  • Green Valley Campground - Cuyamaca Rancho State Park - Descanso CA
    Green Valley was the main of two CCC camps in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.
  • Greenbelt Golf Course Improvements - Columbus IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed improvements at the municipal Greenbelt Golf Course in Columbus, IN. The Evening Republican, (1/12/1939) states that the funds allocated amounted to "$28,399 for improvements at city golf course." The article describes the approval of the WPA project including improvements to the golf course, flood control work—straightening the creek bed and widening the channel at the Tenth Street bridge—on the creek through the property, and construction of picnic grounds (now removed). An article in The Evening Republican (5/4/1939) describes the rescue of a swimmer near the "dam at the golf course" and notes that WPA workers from...
  • Greenfield Park Swimming Pool - West Allis WI
    "A large outdoor swimming pool was constructed at Greenfield Park by the WPA to serve the western part of the community. The water supply was obtained from a deep well, pumped into small lagoons, or warming basins, where it was tempered by the atmosphere and then chemically treated before entering the pool."
  • Greenhaven Golf Course - Anoka MN
    WPA crews constructed the Greenhaven Golf Course, originally a nine-hole course, in 1937. It is now part of Greenhaven Country Club.
1 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 105