“Glacier National Park is located in the U.S. state of Montana, bordering the Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia. The park encompasses over 1,000,000 acres (4,000 km2) and includes parts of two mountain ranges (sub-ranges of the Rocky Mountains), over… read more
“The Headquarters Historic District of Glacier National Park comprises the administrative and housing buildings near West Glacier, Montana on the west side of the park. The area contains a mixture of styles, ranging from National Park Service Rustic to more… read more
“Pre-dating 1910, the station is one of the oldest U.S. Forest Service administrative sites in Colorado. Extensively remodeled by the Civilian Conservation Corps during 1935-36, the station was part of the campaign of natural resources enhancement undertaken during the New… read more
“Originally known as University Stadium, [University of Toledo’s Glass Bowl football stadium] was built in 1936 at a cost of only $335,000 as a Works Progress Administration project. Originally the natural seating bowl held 8,000 in two sideline grandstands. There… read more
(10.42 Acres) Chenery and Elk Streets. Constructed playground, clubhouse and recreation center. Built new entrance, widened 2 tennis courts to regulation size, graded large portion of field, 3 volleyball courts. Clubhouse contains gymnasium, director's office, community theatre and special[t]y accomodations… read more
Mount Rainier was the nation’s fifth National Park, established 1899. During the Great Depression the New Deal’s Civilian Conservation Corps greatly aided the park’s development. The CCC constructed numerous fire lookout towers, including that at Gobbler’s Knob in 1933. Elevation:… read more
WPA crews built fireplaces and reproduction Narragansett Indian villages for Warwick’s 300th anniversary in 1936. Crews also built a field house in the park, but it does not appear to be extant. The precise location of fireplaces is unclear in… read more
The CCC expanded the Gold Creek Ranger Station of Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest NV in northern Nevada. “The root cellar was expanded in the 1930s by CCC labor, using faced stone from the nearby Hammond Mine.”
The Seattle Park Department utilized funds and labor from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to complete a series of improvement projects at Golden Gardens Park. Much of the work aimed at stabilizing the steep hillsides in the eastern section of… read more
The Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club contacted the WPA for help building their new facilities: "The Stow Lake clubhouse was only a modified shed and Stow Lake itself could only accommodate a few casters at a time. The GGACC… read more
Constructed 6 stations at: 14th Avenue and Fulton Street, 19th Avenue and South Drive, Ashbury and Oak Streets ([all 3] Golden Gate Park), Gundlach and Vistacion Streets (McLaren Park), Laguna and Clay Streets (Lafayette Square), Judson Avenue (Balboa Park). These… read more
This station is located just to the northwest of the De Young Museum. It is probably the station referred to in Healy as being at 14th and Fulton. "Constructed 6 stations at: 14th Avenue and Fulton Street, 19th Avenue and… read more
Two bas-relief concrete sculptures by Jesse S. "Vet" Anderson (1875-1966), overlooking the WPA funded Golden Gate Park Horseshoe Pits.
These WPA built stables are just to the east of the Golden Gate Park Police Stables.
This Texas state park was established to preserve a Spanish mission and commemorate historic events in Texas history. A marker at the site explains the CCC’s involvement in the park’s development: “Mississippi native and Goliad County Judge James Arthur White… read more