1 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 103
  • Inwood Hill Park Improvements - New York NY
    During the Great Depression, the WPA radically transformed this large park at the Northwest tip of Manhattan, making accessible what is now the only largely non-landscaped park in all of Manhattan. WPA workers built roads, trails and overlooks throughout the hilly park. A Department of Parks press release from January 26, 1939 summed up the ongoing work: "The fine native woodland will be made thoroughly accessible by means of a network of footpaths with many benches for strollers... The Authority provided a further sponsors' contribution to the WPA for toilet facilities, benches, drinking fountains and overlooks along the high...
  • Inwood Hill Park: Boat Basin and Seaman Ave. Fields - New York NY
    A January 26, 1939 press release by the Department of Parks announced that, "The WPA is at present constructing a boat basin in the Harlem Ship Canal which utilizes the old channel bordering Inwood Hill and Isham Parks  no longer used since the cutoff through the old Johnson Iron Works was completed by Army engineers early this year. This basin will house small boats of every description from canoes and outboards to cabin cruisers. It is scheduled to be completed in April 1939 and before that time work will have been started on the reconstruction of 10 acres of existing...
  • Inwood Hill Park: Dyckman Fields - New York NY
    Before the 1930s, the large area of Inwood Hill Park north of Dyckman Street, between the New York Central Railroad tracks and the Hudson River was a literally a dump. Through the efforts of the Henry Hudson Parkway Authority, the Department of Parks and the Works Progress Administration, this area was transformed into an extensive landscaped area full of baseball and soccer fields, archery ranges and more. A January 1939 Parks press release explained that the Henry Hudson Parkway Authority contributed to this not only through landscaping the new Henry Hudson Parkway and providing foot-bridges between the waterfront area and...
  • Inwood Hill Park: Payson Playground - New York NY
    Payson Playground, in the Southeast corner of Inwood Hill Park, is one of three playgrounds in the park. The current Department of Parks website says the playground was built by Robert Moses in 1939, but Parks Department press releases from the New Deal period show that the park was originally built in 1934 and completed in 1941. A 1934 press release announced the opening of the playground in August of that year. The release describes the new playground as containing a "Field house, comfort station, play area, basketball courts and the usual playground equipment for children." The labor and materials...
  • Iowa State Fairgrounds - Des Moines IA
    The WPA undertook extensive construction and improvements at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in the mid 1930s. The Iowa State Fair information page describes the history of the site and the extent of the work carried out by the WPA: "Extensive improvements – from reroofing the Cattle Barn to building a storm sewer on Dean Avenue – heralded the 1934 Fair. A five-day program of harness and running horse races offered more than $12,500 in premiums. Forty additional acres were added to the Campgrounds, increasing the total to 160 acres and making it the largest of its kind in the U.S Lighting on...
  • Iron Springs Dam and Shelters - Jessieville AR
    "The Iron Springs Dam was constructed circa 1933 by members of the 3767th Company of the Arkansas CCC District stationed at the Hollis and Jessieville Camps, both of which were also located on State Highway 7, to the north and south of the Iron Springs Roadside Park, respectively.  It was constructed as part of a small, public recreational complex within the Ouachita National Forest (ONF) as a result of the CCC's emphasis upon recreational construction.  The extant historic structures within this complex include only this dam and two shelters (nominated separately), all of which allowed the area to function purely...
  • Irving Junior High School Stands - Pocatello ID
    The athletic field stands at Irving Junior High School in Pocatello, Idaho were constructed by the Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.).
  • Isaac Walton League Lodge - Casper WY
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration built a community building in Casper, Wyoming, which Living New Deal believes to be the Isaac Walton League Lodge at Isaak Walton Park (also confirmed to be an FERA project completed in 1934). The facility was constructed "at an outlay of $11,267." Additional work was conducted at Isaak Walton Park in 1934 by relief labor.
  • Isla de Mona Reforestation - PR
    Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration forestry division efforts included reforestation work on Isla de Mona during the 1930s. Dept. of the Interior report: Mona Island—lying in the Mona passage separating Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic—some 25 square miles in extent, formerly rich in tropical timber, and virtually a deserted island, with two cave-dwelling families and three lighthouse keepers as its sole inhabitants, is now being reforested.
  • Island Campground - Umpqua National Forest OR
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) had a camp at Steamboat Creek from 1933 to 1941.  The enrollees made many improvements around area in Umpqua National Forest, working under the US Forest Service, including campgrounds, trails and bridges. One of the campgrounds developed by the CCC was Island Campground along the North Umpqua River and Highway 138.  It is a small, plain campground without special features.
  • Island Park Development - Green River WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) worked to improve the conditions at Island Park in Green River, Wyoming. Cassity: "In Green River, Island Park was leveled with traditional cut and fill methods to raise the low spots so that flood water from Green River would no longer stand, and this was followed by installing lawn, roads, and paths."
  • Island Park Swimming Pool - Fargo ND
    Fargo, North Dakota's Island Park swimming pool complex was originally constructed by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939. On Decoration Day in 1941, a new swimming pool in Fargo, North Dakota opened its doors to residents for the first time. Built by the WPA, the pool – 165 feet long by 100 feet wide – was designed by the architectural firm of Braseth and Houkom. The complex included spectator bleachers and a filter system able to process 600,000 gallons of pool water every six hours. The pool offered a beautiful outdoor setting for a spring or summer dip. During the...
  • Island Trail - Walnut Canyon National Monument AZ
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees from the Mt. Elden Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp near Flagstaff worked at Walnut Canyon National Monument from 1938 to 1942.  The most important contribution made by the CCC men was construction of the Island Trail, which descends the cliff behind the visitors center and encircles a promontory ("island") in the canyon to allow visitors to view the ruins up close.  The trail is about one mile long and descends almost 200 feet via 273 steps.  The trail is lined with stone and, in many places, rock support walls were required. The Island Trail was quite elegantly...
  • Isle Royale National Park - MI
    "In August 1935, the the first members of Company 2699 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) arrived on Isle Royale... The CCC, made up of very young men, spent seven summers as the manpower that constructed much of the young park's infrastructure. They built the park headquarters on Mott Island, created boat campgrounds, and improved the few resorts that the park service had selected to retain. They also erected a fire tower and constructed miles of trails."
  • Itasca State Park: Development - Park Rapids MN
    Between 1933 and 1942, relief workers stationed at two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps and one Works Progress Administration (WPA) camp carried out extensive development of Itasca State Park at the headwaters of the Mississippi River.  They constructed 45 buildings in the Rustic Style, and myriad other structures, as well as creating campgrounds, picnic areas and a trail system. Buildings were constructed under the supervision of the Minnesota Central Design Office of the National Park Service and Edward W. Barber and V. C. Martin were the principal architects. According to the Minnesota Historical Society “Log construction was generally used because timber...
  • Itasca State Park: Forest Inn - Park Rapids MN
    "The Forest Inn is one of the largest buildings constructed by the CCC in the state park system, with overall dimensions of 144-foot by 50-foot. The T-shaped combination building features both split stone and log construction and is covered by an intersecting gable roof supported by log rafters and purlins. The principal facade includes a central entrance as well as north and south wings. The entrance projects from the main facade and is flanked by massive 7-foot by 7-foot-6-inch stone pylons. The north wing consists of a split stone wall which rises to the sill level with 13-inch to 14-inch horizontal...
  • Itasca State Park: Old Timer's Cabin - Park Rapids MN
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed Itasca State Park’s Old Timer’s Cabin in 1933-1934.  It was the first structure built at the park by the CCC. This rectangular log cabin with gabled roof ranks is composed of logs so large that “just four of them made an entire wall.”  The logs were hand-shaped from downed trees, but the idea was to remind people of what the northern American forest was like before the age of mass timbering in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
  • Iverson Park - Stevens Point WI
    Jules Iverson Memorial Park in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, named for a local philanthropist, is at 121 acres the city's largest park and its most heavily used. It is located in a basin created by the shallow, meandering Plover River, which provides the park with its swimming hole, and its lovely water landscape. In 1935 the City Council designated the City Manager to apply for Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds to improve the park after about half the land had been donated by Mr. Iverson. Between 1935 and 1940, 395 local men were employed by the WPA to drain swampy areas,...
  • J. Edward Good Park Golf Course Improvements - Akron OH
    WPA crews conducted improvements to this course from 1935 to 1936. From a 1936 story in Golfdom Magazine: "$75,000 is being spent through the WPA for remodeling fairways on the J. Edward Good Park Golf Club at Akron, Ohio."  
  • J. Hood Wright Park - New York NY
    This sizable park on Manhattan's west side includes vistas of the Hudson River and of the George Washington Bridge. It was acquired by the city in 1925, and opened by the Department of Parks in 1935. The press release announcing the opening listed the park's facilities as including "slides, swings, jungle gym, see-saws, horizontal ladders and bars, soft ball diamond, wading pool and two handball courts. The recreation building will include a playroom and two loggias. Floodlights will be installed for night use. Ten playground directors will supervise this three-acre playground." The recreation building referred to was completed in 1937,...
  • J. J. Byrne Playground - Brooklyn NY
    Now known as the J. J. Byrne Playground, this was one of five "model playgrounds" designed as templates for further playground development by Robert Moses and his team after Moses assumed control of the New York City Parks Department in 1934. J. J. Byrne Playground is located within Washington Park in Brooklyn. When it opened in August 1934, the playground contained handball courts, two "bo-uijo courts," and a wading pool and play area for small children. It also contained a unique recreation building now known as the the Old Stone House of Gowanus. The NYC Parks website describes the structure as...
  • J. W. Wells State Park - Cedar River MI
    The CCC conducted substantial development work at J. W. Wells State Park in Michigan's Upper Peninsula: they constructed roads, signs, kiosks, a pump house, a comfort station, a laundry facility, a bath house, Bay Stone Lodge (was staff residence), cabins, and trail shelters.
  • J.D. Phelan Beach - San Francisco CA
    Built subdrainage system to prevent slide endangering beach. This is the first portion of the development. The former Senator donated the land to the city so that the view could never be taken away from the people of his native city.--Healy, p. 64.
  • J.J. Richards Band Shell - Pittsburg KS
    "The J.J. Richards Band Shell was built during 1936 and 1937 by the WPA."
  • Jackie Robinson Memorial Field - Pasadena CA
    “When Franklin D.Roosevelt was elected in 1933, his Works Progress administration (WPA) put Pasadenans to work on park, flood control,and utility projects.They improved Brookside Park for the Chicago White Sox,who set up spring training there.”   (www.pasadena.edu) The stadium mentioned is today known as Jackie Robinson Memorial Field, dedicated to the famous baseball player who grew up in Pasadena and attended Pasadena Junior College, today Pasadena City College (also the site of New Deal projects). One of many features within the Arroyo Seco park system that were built by the New Deal, including trails, public bathrooms, parts of the Rose Bowl, the...
  • Jackie Robinson Park - New York NY
    The spacious Jackie Robinson Park in Harlem, originally called Colonial Park and known for many years as Bradhurst Park, first opened in 1911, but was only fully developed under the New Deal. When the Department of Parks announced the planned reconstruction in August 1935, they gave an unusual level of detail about this important project: "The Department of Parks has determined the location and completed the development plan of a major recreational center in Harlem. For over a year the Department has been searching this section of the city for an area large enough to provide space for the active play...
  • Jackie Robinson Park Playground (W 153rd St.) - New York NY
    The playground inside Jackie Robinson Park (originally Colonial Park), located at Bradhurst Ave. and W 153rd St., was one of 11 Works Progress Administration (WPA) parks that opened April 4, 1936. Excerpt from Frank da Cruz, Kermit Project, Jackie Robinson Park and Pool: "Even though this park was designed, paid for, and built by Federal New Deal agencies of the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration, there is no plaque, cornerstone, or other marker anywhere in or around the park crediting the New Deal in any way for this magnificent community resource. It is not unique in this respect; most New Deal creations in New...
  • Jackie Robinson Pool - New York NY
    Originally known as "Colonial Park Pool" this was the tenth of eleven pools to be constructed by the WPA in New York. 25,000 people attended the opening ceremony on August 7, 1936, which was presided over by Mayor LaGuardia and Robert Mose. The pool is 82 feet x 235 feet and the diving pool is 65 feet x 82 feet. The press release announcing the opening explained: "While only the south half of the two story brick bathhouse building, of medieval architecture with Roman arched windows, buttresses and towers, accommodating 1800 persons, will be ready for the opening, there will be...
  • Jackson High School Football Stadium - Jackson MO
    Completed in 1938, these concrete-based football stadium bleachers were constructed in a former quarry that furnished rock to many local New Deal projects. The stadium is still called "The Pit."
  • Jackson Park Improvements - Chicago IL
    In 1936, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) pursued a variety of improvements at Chicago’s historic Jackson Park.   “The WPA to town in the park,” the Jackson Park Advisory Council opines. WPA work crews built “comfort stations at the golf driving range,” a “children’s playground,” and “a maintenance building and an overpass at 63rd Street.” The WPA “shortened lagoon shoreline and did other rehabilitation work on Wooded Island and at the Japanese Garden. The 1888 ladies comfort station was rehabilitated.” Moreover, golf course “inlet bridges and the Perennial Garden” were installed. “As part of the WPA work, E.V. Buchsman design...
  • Jackson Park Improvements - San Francisco CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) gave Jackson Park a facelift during the 1930s, or what the City Engineer called "General repairs and dressing up" (Healy, p. 58). We have no evidence on what, if any, traces remain of the WPA work. The park's recreation hall and ballfields were created by the SF Parks and Recreation Commission many year earlier and Jackson Park is where Major League baseball star Tony Lazzeri practiced as a kid. The WPA worked on many of the city's parks and playgrounds during the New Deal.
  • Jackson Park Service Building - Milwaukee WI
    "The most visible legacy of WPA projects in Milwaukee County was the parks system, which had more construction and landscaping during the WPA period than any other time in its history. WPA construction included six swimming pools, pavilions at Red Arrow and Brown Deer Parks, service buildings at Jacobus, Jackson and Whitnall Parks, the Botanical Garden administration building and golf club house at Whitnall Park, a bathhouse at Doctor's Park, a recreation center at Smith Park, new roads in nearly every park, and parkways throughout the county."
  • Jackson Pond (former) Improvements - Richmond Hill NY
    "Local children frequented the popular Jackson Pond in all seasons, swimming, fishing, sailing model boats, and ice-skating. Parks replaced the mud bottom with a brownstone pebble gravel bottom in 1931, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved it for the local residents in 1941. By 1966, the pebble bottom became structurally unsound, raising concern about the safety of park-goers, especially during ice-skating season. The pond was filled with cement, and became used for basketball courts." Two basketball courts are located across the street from the still-used Jackson Pond Playground. Thus, the old Jackson Pond was located along the north side of...
  • Jackson Square Park Improvements - New York NY
    This small triangular park at the intersection of 8th Ave., Horatio St. and Greenwich Ave. in Greenwich Village is one of New York City's oldest parks. It dates back to the 19th century. In 1934, it was renovated by the Department of Parks, which announced that the area had "been designed principally for the use of mothers and infants and will be provided very generously with shade trees and benches." The NYC Parks website further explains that during this renovation "seventeen pin oaks were planted on the perimeter, the shower basin was replaced by a new wading pool, and new...
  • Jackson Town Square Development - Jackson WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) developed Jackson Town Square in Jackson, Wyoming. Cassity: "Jackson’s Washington Park, the town square, was significantly improved with excavation to level the ground, replacing the removed soil with loam for seeding grass and shrubbery."
  • Jackson Zoo - Jackson MS
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed buildings at the Jackson Zoological park in Mississippi. Several newer buildings are attributed to the WPA by some sources; however, the only ones documented WPA structures are the zoo's former rhinoceros house, old concession stand, and old restrooms.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Barn & Sawmill - Brownstown IN
    Originally a lumber shed adjacent, and sawmill building nearby. A long concrete foundation remaining may have been one of these. A 1935 photo shows a building where the foundation is. About 750’ N of the barn is a ruin- a concrete basement of seemingly 1930s vintage. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest ECW CCC Camp S55 - Brownstown IN
    Completely overgrown ruins- primarily concrete foundations, some breaks, built-up roadways lived with pines, and a large stone chimney and stone/concrete foundation. Occupied by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 1556, 1933 to 1940.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Museum Building - Brownstown IN
    Concrete foundation, wood shingles. Built in 1935 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) as a museum building, constructed with logs from an old cabin (furnished by Jackson Co Historical Society), the Peter’s house, that had stood in the vicinity of Vallonia.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Oven Shelter #2 - Brownstown IN
    Historic shelter house in process of being completely rebuilt-essentially only the stone fireplaces. Constructed between 1934 and 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co 1556 occupied in the forest.
1 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 103