1 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 105
  • Hammer Park - Branford CT
    The federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) funded labor toward the development of Hammer Park in Branford, CT. The town's Annual Report, 1937 said: "The W. P. A. has assisted in laying out, grading, seeding and planting shrubs and trees on that portion of the Field at the corner of Prospect Street and Church Street so what was a dumping ground that was an eye sore ... has now become a place of beauty ..."
  • Hammonassett Beach Improvements - Madison CT
    "The shoreline parks: Hammonassett Beach, Sherwood Island and Rocky Neck were all completed during this time period as WPA projects."   (waymarking.com) "Though the park was heavily damaged by the hurricane on September 21, 1938, the park reopened the following summer after extensive restoration by the federal government's Works Progress Administration (WPA)."   (https://connecticutexplored.org) Additionally, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Chapman undertook "construction of a new entrance road for Hammonasset Beach State Park."
  • Hammond Pond Parkway Sidewalk - Newton MA
    Description of a project undertaken by the W.P.A. in 1938: "Hammond Pond Parkway, Newton Street traffic circle to Boylston Street, Newton; to construct a 5-foot wide pea stone and stone dust walk and a 10-foot wide planting space, each 4,200 feet in length."
  • Hammond Pond Reservation Improvements - Newton MA
    Description of a project undertaken by the W.P.A. in 1937: "Hammond Pond Parkway; work was begun in November on a project which provides for the improvement of an area between the parkway and Hammond Pond in Newton. The work includes laying 300 linear feet of 24-inch drain pipe, filling a low area with about 12,000 cubic yards of gravel borrow, spreading about 3,000 cubic yards of loam, grading and seeding and thinning and grubbing 20,000 square yards of underbrush. Most of this work will also be done during 1938."
  • Hampton Park Preparation - Piedmont CA
    In the late 1920s, the city of Piedmont was outgrowing its schools and many classes were being held in temporary buildings.  In the 1930s, voters passed a bond issue and the school district undertook a major rebuilding program.  It took the assistance of the New Deal to get the job done, however.   One planned new school, in the St. James neighborhood, was never built.  Instead, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built retaining walls and leveled the site in anticipation of the new school.   The extensive concrete retaining walls, with Art Moderne touches, are still there at the corner of Hampton...
  • Hanes Park - Winston-Salem NC
    "The Works Progress Administration, an agency of the Federal Government, adopted as one of its projects the improvement of Hanes Park, which is a public park and playground owned by the city of Winston-Salem. Within the park is located an elementary school, the high school gymnasium, baseball diamond, a football field, a race track, bridges and walks, and other park improvements. It is used to a large extent as a playground connected with the elementary school and the Richard J. Reynolds High School. The W. P. A. project provided for improvements to the tennis courts and race track, three bridges,...
  • Hanford Municipal Park Improvements - Hanford CA
    Hanford received $5,000 in federal funds the for Municipal Park at the end of Douty Rd, used for community building, bandstand, athletic field, barbecues, 2 baseball diamonds, landscaping, irrigation, paths, etc.
  • Hanging Rock State Park - Danbury NC
    Hanging Rock State Park was developed as a federal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project during the 1930s. "Many facilities in the park were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1935 and 1942. A concrete and earthen dam completed in 1938 impounded a 12-acre lake, and a stone bathhouse, diving tower and sandy beach also were built. Other facilities constructed by the CCC include a park road and parking area, a picnic area and shelter, and hiking trails. In 1991, the bathhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places." The Works Progress Administration (WPA) is also cited in some...
  • Hanna-Nuttman Park - Decatur IN
    National Youth Administration built a picnic shelter and stone community building and did landscaping work in Hanna-Nuttman Park, Decatur, Indiana. The community building does not appear to be in use but retains the NYA plaque. The parks department did not respond to an inquiry through their web site about the status of the building (in 2023).
  • Happy Hollow Playground - Washington DC
    The Civil Works Administration and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) funded improvements at the Happy Hollow Playground in Washington DC. A wading pool was installed. In 1934-1935, FERA, “esurfaced one tennis court; painted house.”
  • Hard Labor Creek State Park - Rutledge GA
    An onsite marker commemorates the extensive work of the CCC at this site, reading in part: "This park was built in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal program sponsored by President Roosevelt. It was administered as a division of the U.S. Army to reclaim unusable farm land, create recreational areas, and teach young men a skill or trade. Enlistees of the CCC were paid about $30 for a six-month enlistment, $25 of which was automatically sent to the enlistee’s family. There were two CCC camps housed at the Park. The first camp, District “B” Company 450 Ga. SP-8,...
  • Harding Park Public Golf Club House - San Francisco CA
    Increased the space and facilities for the public use by building a golf club house with concrete floors, frame construiction with stucco exterior and plastic interior and tile roof, installing plumbing, heating and electric equipment, painting inside and out. Private clubs have no better appointments. This is a very popular golf course and the new facilities ahve added materially to the enjoyment of players--Healy, p. 55.
  • Harlan Country Club - Harlan KY
    Located approximately seven miles south of Harlan, Kentucky by U.S. 421 and Highway 3001, Harlan Country Club was constructed by the federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) and completed in 1941. The course, designed by Sye Simonton, is still in service.
  • Harley Park - Boonville MO
    Harley Park is historically significant as the home of 4 Hopewell Indian mounds.  It has an overlook of the Missouri River, recently having a Lewis and Clark campsite marker placed at the overlook.  Several WPA projects were completed in the 1930’s including rock walls, roads, and the shelter.
  • Harmon Field - Bicknell IN
    Renovations on this field, first built in 1924, were made in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
  • Harmon Field - Greenville OH
    The Works Progress Administration built an athletic stadium and swimming pool in 1937 in Greenville OH. The Athletic field has recently undergone renovations and is still in use by the Greenville High School in Greenville, Ohio. In 2017, the original track and grass playing field were replaced with a new synthetic field turf, while the track was moved to a new track and field complex just to the north of the site. In 2022, a new field house was opened in-between the two playing fields. The original swimming pool was also moved to an adjacent lot north with the original pool...
  • Harmon Field - Okmulgee OK
    "This project consisted of several buildings, walls and structures to provide an athletic field for the local high school. The area consists of 65 acres, five buildings and seven miscellaneous structures. Visitors enter the field from the south, through a 24 ft. wide archway which reads "HARMON FIELD." The arch is supported by two stone-covered posts... Flanking the entry on the east and west of the ticket booths are two stone field houses. Originally, these were dressing rooms, but are now used as rest rooms. These buildings and the ticket booths have buff-colored, rough-cut native stone blocks from the ground to...
  • Harmon Park - Kearney NE
    The oldest portion of the park, the block between 5th and 6th Avenues and 29th and 30th Streets, dates back to August 7, 1876, when it was given to the city by Thomas Perkins and James Harford "for the sole and only purpose of a public park for the use and benefit of the inhabitants of said city," according to the deed. It was later dubbed Third Ward Park, and was so designated for many years. Beautiful trees, grass and flowers, some sidewalks, a couple of drinking fountains and a few benches were all this park could boast in the...
  • Harmon Park - Stamford TX
    The National Youth Administration completed improvements in Harmon Park in Stamford TX. While the Park itself still exists, the only item that I identified as possibly being the work of the NYA is the rock pillar at the park entrance. It is possible that they planted the trees, or even dug the small duck pond. "HARMON PARK - Harmon park, improved during the winter and spring through A NYA project directed by Bernard Buie, is a popular picnic and outing site favored by school and church groups. It is a customary meal site for visitors to Stamford's annual Texas Cowboy Reunion and...
  • Harmon Park - Williston ND
    Williston, North Dakota's Harmon Park was developed as a federal Civil Works Administration (WPA) project ca. 1933-4. Facilities were listed by a WPA publication as including a baseball diamond, football field, cinder track, and swimming pool.
  • Harmon Park Development and Wall - West St. Paul MN
    The WPA in West St. Paul: On the west side of Harmon Park, along Charlton, there’s an old stone wall that’s part of the original WPA work to improve the park and fields. Before the 2015 rebuild of the park, this wall surrounded a parking lot near the ball fields. A portion of the wall was preserved in 2015 and you can still see the “WPA 1941” stamps in a couple places on the wall. There’s also a plaque near the corner of Charlton and Bernard memorializing the “Development of Harmon Play Field” as well as a number of stones and...
  • Harmon Park Expansion - Phoenix AZ
    The New Deal contributed to the development of Harmon Park, a park in Phoenix, Arizona. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funding for improvements at the park. Per Arizona Republic: "Harmon park, in the southwest part of the city, has been trebled in size. The city and PWA have invested about $9,000 in recent improvements." This development took place among a massive $923,000 Phoenix park improvement project sponsored by the PWA; PWA Docket No. 2637.
  • Harn Park Benches - Oklahoma City OK
    "Alice Harn Park is located at 13th and Shartel. The land was donated as a gift to the children of Oklahoma City in 1910. The park is a green belt - a long strip with two circular ends, much like a barbell. At the south end of the park, a native stone wall has been constructed. The wall is approximately four feet high and twelve feet long, with a center section which rises another three feet. The wall and bench area are accessed by wide, two-tiered stone steps. Facing this wall are two large semi-circular stone benches. To the south of...
  • Harney Peak Lookout Tower - Mount Rushmore SD
    "The Harney Peak Lookout Tower was built by Camp F-23, Doran to replace the old wooden structure. Over 7,500 rocks had to be hauled up the mountain on specially built horse-drawn sleds. Everything necessary was sledded up or carried by the men as they climbed to the job site. The U.S. Forest Service recently did repairs at the tower in the hope that the shelter will be respectfully used." (Sanders) "The Harney Peak Fire Tower was constructed at Harney Peak by the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1935 to 1938. Stones gathered from French Creek were used to construct the tower. All of...
  • Harold Parker State Forest - North Andover MA
    The land that makes up Harold Parker State Forest was formed by the action of glaciers thousands of years ago, and the area has undergone numerous man-made changes since then. The Pentacook Indians were the first people to reside on the land and they called this place home for a few thousand years before it was settled by colonial English farmers in the 1650s. By the mid-nineteenth century many people abandoned the land for agricultural purposes, and moved closer to the towns of North Andover, Andover, North Reading, and Middleton, and the forest area reverted to a more wild character....
  • Harold Parker State Forest: Collins Pond Dam - North Andover MA
    Collins Pond Dam is the most important of all the dams constructed by the CCC in Harold Parker State Forest. This dam is connected to a large retaining wall that surrounds the pond and it impounds a large quantity of water. The dam is currently is poor condition and it is not clear who is in charge of monitoring or repairing the dam. Many people were contacted in an effort to get information on the dam (North Andover Directory, North Andover Conservation Management, Massachusetts Office of Dam Safety and Removal, and the Department of Conservation and Recreation). However, it was difficult...
  • Harper Meadow - Philadelphia PA
    "AT THE park's entrance is a 20-acre tract known as HARPER MEADOW, which was filled in and landscaped by WPA under sponsorship of the Friends of the Wissahickon, to serve as a picnic ground and a recreation spot. The plot which is named in honor of William Warner Harper, of Andorra, "a lover of nature in all its forms," was formally dedicated in the spring of 1937."
  • Harriet Island Pavilion - St. Paul MN
    From the Minnesota Historical Society: "The Clarence W. Wigington Pavilion, formerly known as the Harriet Island Pavilion, is significant in St. Paul’s recreational history as a well-preserved example of the work of Clarence Wesley Wigington, the first black architect hired by the city. Harriet Island, originally named for St. Paul’s first schoolteacher, Harriet E. Bishop, became an enclave for healthy living in the bustling city of St. Paul in 1900. Dr. Justus Ohage, St. Paul’s health officer, bought the island and built a new park there, complete with public bathhouse and beach, playgrounds, handball and tennis courts, cafeteria, bandstand, pavilions, zoo, childcare...
  • Harriman State Park Development - Ramapo NY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed roads, trails, and camps in this park. The CCC also built a number of lakes, including Pine Meadow, Wanoksink, Turkey Hill, and Silver Mine.
  • Harris Beach State Recreation Area (Harris Beach State Park) - Brookings OR
    Harris Beach State Park was one of 45 state parks improved through the work of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees during the New Deal era. The CCC improvements took place there in 1934 and 1935. Only a seventeen-acre park at the time, the CCC workers undertook the early development of the grounds, providing picnic stoves and tables as well as services necessary for day use. While aspects of the park required replacement and reconfiguration as the acreage grew, the park became available to the public thanks to the CCC.
  • Harris Community Park - Belton TX
    The National Youth Administration provided labor to beautify the park for African Americans in Belton in 1938. They constructed a native rock speaker stand and four picnic tables with benches. Twenty-three youth, including both White and African American, were employed on the work. The entrance gate was also made of natural rock, and a the park was surround by a low fence. Five natural rock flower beds were constructed. The speakers stand held a plaque indicating construction by the NYA. The park is located between N. Smith and N. Alexander streets north of the Harris Community Center (former school).
  • Harris Field - Bronx NY
    The New York Times reported in Sept. 1941 that "WPA crews are busy on twelve other park and playground projects in other parts of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx ... At Harris Park, Bedford Park Boulevard and 205th Street, the Bronx, a new ten-acre athletic field is being developed. When completed it will contain a brick field house, concrete bleachers, four baseball and two softball diamonds, four football fields with removable goal posts, a flagpole, benches and drinking fountains. The department intends to plant 17,500 honeysuckle vines on the steep slopes around the field."
  • Harris Hill Park - Elmira NY
    "The prominence of soaring in Elmira was established with the first thirteen national soaring contests, held here from 1930 to 1946. This was made possible through an alliance of the Soaring Society of America (SSA), the Harris Hill Soaring Corporation (HHSC), and what became our county's Chamber of Commerce. Harris Hill, home to the Museum and HHSC, has since hosted many other national, regional and international contests and exhibitions. The Works Projects Administration (WPA) built Chemung County's Harris Hill Park in the 1930s. These facilities included the gliderport, hangars, cabins for housing contest pilots and crews, a youth camp, and...
  • Harry Thomas Sr. Recreation Center Improvements - Washington DC
    In 1942, the Washington Post reported the allocation of $21,390 to the Federal Works Agency (FWA) for new construction and/or improvements to what was then the Eckington Recreation Center, now known as the Harry Thomas Sr. Recreation Center, in the Eckington neighborhood of NE Washington. As part of the District's new PlayDC initiative, the site was renovated in 2013. It is unclear what FWA work may still be visible at the site.
  • Hart Memorial Park - Bakersfield CA
    New Deal relief workers were instrumental in developing the old Kern River Park – now called the Hart Memorial Park.  The workers came from the State Emergency Relief Administration  (SERA) before 1935 and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) after that. (SERA was, in turn, funded by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA)) Kern County  bought 338 acres of the old Baker Ranch in 1921 to create Kern River Park. After 1927, John Oliver Hart took charge of improvements to the park.  The most important developments at the park occurred under federal funding in the 1930s.  As Gilbert says: "Park projects that were...
  • Hart Park - Bakersfield CA
    "In 1921, the County provided funds to purchase the Park property and a token sum was provided by the City for construction along with a quantity of locally donated labor and funds until 1931. As the Great Depression began to take effect and jobs became few, construction at the Park got a boost from public works funds...At times, between 1932 and 1938, 50 to 200 WPA workmen were at work in Kern Park building rock work, swimming pool, roads, curbs and the large boat lake."
  • Hart Park - Orange CA
    Hart Park in Orange, California, was created in the 1930s by the City of Orange with the help of the State Emergency Relief Agency (SERA) and the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). Orange City Park was the town’s first park. In 1935, a proposal was submitted for funding to build Orange City Park with $30,963 from the WPA for relief labor and $12,362 in local funds for materials, employing 66 men for 11 months. The proposal was approved in early 1936 and the work probably continued for the next two years, given the extensive improvements made. This was part...
  • Hart Park Adobe Structure - Bakersfield CA
    This adobe structure in Hart Park was built in 1939 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), in concert with Kern County and the California State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA) – using funds provided by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) to hire unemployed workers.  It is also known as the "Peacock House" for all the resident peacocks. Designed by local architect W. Francis Parsons, it is somewhat unusual in that it has a 24" raised foundation and wood floor, likely to get it above a flood plain. The original construction drawings identify it as a "Service Building", although it was designed as...
  • Hart Park Bandshell - Orange CA
    Hart Park in Orange, California, was created in the 1930s by the City of Orange with the help of the State Emergency Relief Agency (SERA) and the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). At the time, the park was known as Orange City Park and was changed to Hart Park in 1964. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) contributed to the construction of the Hart Park Bandshell in 1938. There is a plaque commemorating the WPA's role in the creation of the project.
  • Hart Park Horseshoe Pit - Orange CA
    Hart Park in Orange, California, was created in the 1930s by the City of Orange with the help of the State Emergency Relief Agency (SERA) and the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). At the time, the park was known as Orange City Park and was changed to Hart Park in 1964. SERA and WPA created several facilities at Hart Park, most likely including this area for playing horseshoes. A date stamp carved into the horseshoe pit cement shows a date of October 2, 1935.  An adjacent mission-style building for meetings was most likely built by the WPA, as well.
1 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 105