The WPA graded and surfaced the volleyball courts, graded and spread a new loam surface at the playground, painted bleachers, the Community House and outside fences, and re-landscaped.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built improvements within the picnic area from 1936-1938. The CCC constructed two shelters and a well. The well still remains and is commonly referred to as the “wishing well.”
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed a duck pond between 1934-35. The round lake is approximately 1 acre surrounded by concrete posts. In the center of the lake is a round island with stone lining.
CCC Company 1903, of Camp Prairie Creek, built a new entrance road and a park custodian’s residence. They built a campground near the Smith River with a footbridge over the river, connecting the campground with the ancient redwoods of the… read more
In October 1942, the Washington Post reported the allocation of $19,627 to the Federal Works Agency (FWA) for new construction and improvements at the Jefferson Recreation Center adjacent to Jefferson Middle School in the city’s southwest quadrant. In a previous… read more
Collaborating with the Portland Public Schools, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a 1000 seat stadium for Jefferson High School in the summer of 1941. The $14,000 project (1941 dollars) consists of an uncovered structure with restroom and concession facilities… read more
The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial is a large park along the Mississippi River maintained by the National Park Service. It contains the iconic St. Louis Gateway Arch. The construction of the park lasted for multiple decades. The WPA and the… read more
“In 1934, the Great Depression necessitated the consolidation of the city’s 22 independent park agencies into the Chicago Park District. Using federal relief funds, the newly-created park district soon began work on Jensen Park. Site improvements included a wading pool,… read more
As researcher Frank da Cruz explains, “Jerome Park Reservoir has seven gatehouses: three offsite and four onsite such as the two shown here, the darker brick Gatehouse No.7 at left and the lighter brick Gatehouse No.5 at right. Gatehouses control… read more
The reservoir itself dates to 1906, but, this report at nyc.gov describing the history of the reservoir and its surroundings explains that: ”The WPA funded a significant number of New York City projects relating to the water system, including surveys,… read more
“Originally named Camp Woahink, the park was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and was later renamed in honor of Jessie M. Honeyman (1852–1948) of Portland. As president of the Oregon Roadside Council, Honeyman worked with Samuel Boardman, Oregon’s… read more
Between 1936 and 1939 the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Jim Thorpe Stadium Complex at Shawnee High School in Shawnee, Oklahoma. In 2010 Shawnee voters approved a $3 million bond issue in order to renovate part of the complex…. read more
With establishment of the Emergency Conservation Work (ECW) program in 1933, better know as the Civilian Conservation Corp. (CCC) resources became available to develop facilities for the park. Civilian Conservation Corp. Co. 553 SP-16 arrived at John Bryan in June… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration conducted some fire prevention work at the John F. Kennedy Memorial Wildlife Sanctuary (then a bird sanctuary) and neighboring Tobey Beach in southern Nassau County during the 1930s. WPA Official Project No. 665-21-2-440.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completed reforestation and improvement work at the John Henry Kirby Memorial State Forest. The work included tree planting and timber stand improvement—a forest management method that supports tree growth. The CCC also built a residence, park roads… read more
“In 1930, the Henderson Audubon Society requested $100,000 from the Federal government to help construct an Audubon Museum. The Society had a large and growing collection of Audubon artifacts that needed proper housing. National interest in the works of Audubon… read more
The New York Times reported in Sept. 1941 that the WPA worked on the “reconstruction of John Jay Park along the East River Drive, between Seventy-sixth and Seventy-eighth Streets.” Specific improvements included the installation of a new diving pool with… read more
Today’s NYC Parks site explains: “The swimming complex was opened in stages between 1940 and 1942 as part of a massive Work Projects Administration (WPA) capital construction program. The outdoor swimming pool was opened in 1940 and measured 50 by… read more
John Marshall High School is an iconic building in the Los Feliz district of Los Angeles. Walt Disney and his family lived across the street from the “Collegiate Gothic” structure, and from 1927-1940 operated his Disney Studios and Animation School… read more
Although the majority of the New Deal era work completed on Johnson Creek addressed the stream’s annual flooding problems, the project brought some recreational benefits as well. WPA (Works Progress Administration) workers built a fish ladder in the channel and… read more
Three different federal relief agencies took on the challenge of Johnson Creek’s annual flooding during the New Deal period, beginning with Oregon’s SERA (State Emergency Relief Agency) efforts. Responsibility for the project was transferred to the PWA (Public Works Administration)… read more
Lehman Caves National Monument was established in 1922 and put under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service in 1933. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) arrived in 1934, setting up a camp and going to work on campgrounds, water supply,… read more
All 17 schoolhouses in Framingham, Massachusetts were painted, remodeled, and/or repaired with federally funded labor during the Great Depression. At the former Jonathon Maynard School the Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) graded the land behind the school and built a new… read more