1 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 105
  • Hillcrest Recreation Center Improvements - Washington DC
    In 1942, the Washington Post reported the approval of $40,270 in funding for the Federal Works Administration (FWA) to build and/or make improvements to the Hillcrest Recreation Center. This was the largest sum appropriated for parks work in the Lanham Act. Exactly what was done is unknown to us, but the facility has a recreation hall, tennis courts (at another location), and a putting green.  The present Hillcrest Recreation Center dates from the early 2000s.
  • Hillsborough River State Park - Thonotosassa FL
    "Opened in 1938, Hillsborough River State Park is one of Florida's first state parks; this original CCC Park is divided by the swiftly flowing Hillsborough River with a set of Class II rapids. The river provides opportunities for fishing, canoeing, and kayaking..."   (www.floridastateparks.org) "Land acquisition for Hillsborough River State Park began in 1934, and the park officially became part of the Florida state park system in 1935. The CCC began work at Hillsborough River State Park in 1934, when Company 1418 was transferred from Sebring to the small community of Sulphur Springs, northeast of Tampa. CCC Camp SP-71 served primarily as...
  • Hillside Street-Area Improvements - East Hartford CT
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted a project involving the "clearing and grubbing of land ... between the Hockanum River And the new Hillside Avenue extension. About 30 men will be employed here." Living New Deal believes this to be Hillside Street.
  • Hinchliffe Stadium Improvements - Paterson NJ
    "Hinchliffe Stadium is a historic 10,000-seat municipal stadium in Paterson, built 1931–32 on a dramatic escarpment above Paterson's National Historic Landmark Great Falls ... It is one of only a handful of stadiums surviving nationally that once played host to significant Negro league baseball during America's Jim Crow era. The stadium was designated a National Historic Landmark in March 2013 and a Paterson Historic Landmark in May 2013... Many workers laid off from the mills found work under a New Deal-financed program to provide enhancements to the stadium in 1932–34." (Wikipedia) This huge stadium is in serious disrepair now, but still has...
  • Hines Park - Bronx NY
    A New York City Park's Department press release from December 4, 1939 announces the opening of three new WPA playgrounds, including Hines Park: "Hine's Park at Fulton Avenue and East 167 Street is a triangular-shaped area containing a small children's playground, providing a sandpit, see-saws, slides, kindergarten swings and a jungle gym... The opening of these four areas designed by the Park Department and built by the Work Projects Administration makes a total of 306 new or reconstructed playgrounds completed by the Park Department since 1934." (https://kermitproject.org)
  • History Museum - Lakeport CA
    Thanks to the assistance of the Lakeport History Museum, a former WPA built history museum was located. The WPA constructed the museum in 1936. The history museum was moved into a historic courthouse that had operated from 1871 to 1968 and after a vote, was refurbished and became the town museum in 1976. The former museum is now utilized as a law library. WPA Project No. 65-3-3325, App. Date 12-9-35, $3,299, "Construct building for historical museum."
  • Hither Hills State Park Improvements - Montauk NY
    The Suffolk County News reported that between 1935 and 1936, the WPA "improved recreational facilities in following State Parks : Sunken Meadow, Heckscher, Wildwood, Orient Point and Hither Hills..."
  • Hiwassee Dam - Murphy NC
    "Hiwassee Dam is a hydroelectric dam on the Hiwassee River in Cherokee County, in the U.S. state of North Carolina. It is one of three dams on the river owned and operated by the Tennessee Valley Authority, which built the dam in the late 1930s to bring flood control and electricity to the region. The dam impounds the Hiwassee Lake of 6,000 acres, and its tailwaters are part of Apalachia Lake. At 307 feet, Hiwassee Dam is the third highest dam in the TVA system, behind only Fontana and Watauga." (Wikipedia)
  • Hobart City Park - Hobart OK
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the City Park in Hobart, OK. Contributor note: "This large, well-equipped park is bordered on the north by E. Ash, on the south by E. Iris, on the east by N. Lincoln and on the west by N. Jefferson. The park can be accessed from all directions but the original main entrance is on the south and the coordinates shown are for this entrance with its two brick pillars. This entrance, plus a stone wall along the south side of the park were constructed by the WPA. As you enter on the south, the pool and bathhouse...
  • Hocking Hills State Park: Hiking Trails and Old Man's Cave Unit - Logan OH
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) ran two camps at Hocking Hills State Park in Logan OH. The CCC built Hiking Trails and Old Man's Cave Unit.
  • Hocking Hills State Park: Nature Program Cabin, Old Man's Cave Unit - Logan OH
    Originally the first aid cabin of the Civilian Conservation Corps camp, then a ranger station. Presently (January 2023) a venue for nature programs at the Hocking Hills State Park Visitor Center.
  • Hodag Park Bathhouse - Rhinelander WI
    "The Hodag Park Bath House is a one-story, random rubble, hip-roofed building. It is Rustic, a style that was popular during the late 1930s. The Bath House was built circa 1938 (1939 photo, L. L. Cook Collection, SHSW; Rhinelander City Directories; "Hodag is New Name For Park," New North, May 11, 1939, p. 1). The park was initially designated "Mary Didier Memorial Park," but the name was soon changed. The building was funded by the W. P. A. (Kris Gilbertson, "W. P. A. Leaves Lasting Legacy," Rhinelander Daily News, April 23, 1985)."
  • Hoisington High School Stadium - Hoisington KS
    The Hoisington High School Stadium was built by the Works Progress Administration in 1937 with limestone from the nearby Ney farm. The stadium is still in use and on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Holabird Quartermaster Depot (former) Development - Baltimore MD
    The Work Projects Administration (WPA) conducted numerous and extensive projects to improve and develop the former Holabird Quartermaster Depot in Baltimore, Maryland, now an industrial park. Per a DoD survey, the WPA did the following at "Holabird QM Depot": Description: Construct and improve buildings; Project No. 113-3-25-12; Cost: $200,000.00; Sponsor: War Department Improve facilities, buildings, and grounds; 165-2-25-74; $504,936.00; Commanding Officer, Holabird QM Depot, U.S. Army Improve facilities; 165-2-25-79; $65,047.00; War Department Improve roads, and rehabilitate and renovate buildings; 165-2-25-88; $86,623.00; Commanding Officer, Holabird QM Depot, U.S. Army Improve facilities by constructing warehouse, garages, swimming pool, rec building, and plumbing facilities; 165-3-25-79; $134,830.00; Commanding...
  • Holdenville Fish Hatchery - Holdenville OK
    “WPA projects both directly and indirectly affected fish and wildlife. More than 300 fish hatcheries were built or enlarged nationwide. Creating fish hatcheries was important economically, as well as for sport fisherman….Some of the fish hatcheries established or improved by WPA were located in or near Cherokee, Durant, Lawton, Tishomingo, Krebs, Lake Overholser in Oklahoma City, and Mohawk Park in Tulsa. A fish hatchery is on the city lake at Holdenville in Hughes County, where the WPA built a caretaker cottage and office building. With few details of location given, fish hatcheries have been hard to locate 70 years later. At...
  • Holland Stadium - Auburn NY
    Originally known as East High Stadium, what is now Holland Stadium was constructed as a New Deal project undertaken during the Great Depression. Construction on the facility, which lies behind what is now known as Auburn Junior High School, occurred in 1936; football games have been played there ever since. The federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) supplied a $48,056 grant for the project, whose total cost was $110,336. P.W.A. Docket No. NY 1405
  • Hollenback Park Pool (former) - Wilkes-Barre PA
    "WPA’s legacy is visible today in those and many other ways" in Wilkes-Barre. "Thanks to WPA labor, ... he Miner Park and Hollenback swimming pools were built." Living New Deal believes the pool to be no longer extant.
  • Hollenbeck Park - Los Angeles CA
    The Los Angeles Board of Park Commissioner 1932–33 Annual Report describes federal involvement in the development of Hollenbeck Park: "With Reconstruction Finance corporation and County Welfare labor it was possible to improve this park by resurfacing 4,050 square yards of old walks, as well as renovating and grading four acres of sloping hillsides. The park was further improved with the moving of six large trees, planting 28 new trees, 314 shrubs, and 1600 flowering plants. Fifteen hundred square feet of new lawn was also sown. All of this work greatly improved the appearance of Hollenbeck Park and added to its usability by...
  • Holliday Lake State Park - Appomattox VA
    The area encompassing Holliday Lake State Park and the surrounding state forest was cleared in the 1800s for farmland. In the 1930s, the federal government, through the Resettlement Administration, began buying the farms to return the land to its former productive hardwood forest status. Construction of a dam was begun at Fish Pond Creek; however efforts were relocated to Holliday Creek where a lake could be developed. The park was established in 1939 and acquired in by the state of Virginia 1945. Holliday Lake State Park, formerly Holliday Lake Recreational Area, was renamed by the Department of Conservation and Recreation...
  • Holly River State Park: Administrative Building - Hacker Valley WV
    "Holly River State Park retains its rustic style, WPA-built administrative building, which also houses a restaurant."
  • Holly Springs National Forest - Tupelo MS
    "Before the HSNF was established, much of the land was abandoned farmland with rapidly eroding soils. These rolling hills are now covered with loblolly and shortleaf pines, and upland hardwoods. The Civilian Conservation Corps used loblolly pine because it was easy to plant, was suitable for the depleted soils of the north central hills, and cast a large load of needles to help prevent further erosion."
  • Hollywood Bowl Improvements - Los Angeles CA
    Hollywood Bowl Improvements, WP 997, WP 2687, WP 6097, WP 4953, WP 9590, and WP 11052, sponsored by the County of Los Angeles, are designed to increase the beauty, add to the capacity and provide greater safety, convenience and comfort to the many thousand people attending Hollywood Bowl entertainments. The Hollywood Bowl is situated in a natural amphitheatre in the Hollywood Hills. Its facilities are in constant demand for concerts, operas, ballets, conventions and many other activities requiring a large seating capacity. The 55 ton steel orchestra shell, built to add to the nearly perfect acoustics of the Bowl, proved to be...
  • Holmby Park - Los Angeles CA
    The Annual Report from 1932-33 of the Los Angeles Board of Park Commissioners describes federal involvement in the development of Holmby Park: "Reconstruction Finance Corporation and County Welfare workmen helped install 6100 feet of curbing along the walks as well as completing 100 cubic yards of general grading work and the laying of 50 feet of new water system."
  • Holmes County State Park - Durant MS
    Six rustic style cabins, park landscape, park manager’s residence, lodge, pavilion, and a 525 foot dam forming a 12-acre lake were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps Company 4429 between 1935-1939. Construction utilized cypress timber from the Big Black river swamps. Architect was B. W. Martin. Holmes County park opened in summer of 1939, off highway 51 five miles south of Durant. It comprised 460 acres, although only about 20 acres hold the majority of CCC resources. During January and February 1936, Park Service and the Emergency Conservation Works filmed a motion picture to show the work being done in...
  • Holy City of the Wichitas - Comanche County OK
    The Holy City of the Wichitas represents an utterly unique Works Progress Administration (WPA) project, located on federal land in the Wichita Mountains, Comanche County, northwest of Lawton, Oklahoma. Since 1936 the WPA project has been home to the nation's longest-running Easter pageant, which began in the 1920s. Per the Oklahoma Historical Society: he Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the present Holy City of the Wichitas five miles west of its original location. The installation was situated twenty-two miles northwest of Lawton. A $94,000 grant supported construction. A dedication ceremony in 1935 commemorated the completion of numerous full-sized buildings and structures,...
  • Homecrest Playground - Brooklyn NY
    The New York Times reported that WPA laborers had begun work in late 1941 on a playground consisting of "two and one-third acres ... The facilities will include a brick comfort station, concrete wading pool, irrigated sandpit and mothers' sitting area, swings, slides, handball court, pipe-frame exercising unit, and areas for skating, basketball and softball." The completion of the project was announced in June 1942.
  • Homewood, Street Beautification - Birmingham AL
    The Works Progress Administration carried out landscaping and beautification work on a street in the Homewood, a suburb of Birmingham, circa 1936.
  • Homochitto National Forest - Meadville MS
    "Homochitto National Forest is a U.S. National Forest in southwestern Mississippi comprising 191,839 acres (776.34 km2). In the mid-1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) began reforestation of the area and developing a system of roadways and recreational areas."
  • Honeyman State Park: Bathhouse - Florence OR
    From 1936 to 1941, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Honeyman State Park, just south of Florence, Oregon, under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS).  The parkland had been purchased by the state from 1930 to 1936. Honeyman Park covers over 500 acres along Highway 101 (the Oregon Coast Highway), tucked behind the Oregon Dunes National Seashore.  It includes two freshwater lakes, Cleawox Lake within the dunes and the much larger Woahink Lake east of the highway. There is a day-use area on the north side of Cleawox Lake, a large campground south of that lake and water sports...
  • Honeyman State Park: Cleawox Picnic Area - Florence OR
    From 1936 to 1941, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Honeyman State Park, just south of Florence, Oregon, under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS).  The parkland had been purchased by the state from 1930 to 1936. Honeyman Park covers over 500 acres along Highway 101 (the Oregon Coast Highway), tucked behind the Oregon Dunes National Seashore.  It includes two freshwater lakes, Cleawox Lake within the dunes and the much larger Woahink Lake east of the highway. There is a day-use area on the north side of Cleawox Lake, a large campground south of that lake and water sports...
  • Honeyman State Park: Park Office (former Park Caretaker's House)- Florence OR
    From 1936 to 1941, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Honeyman State Park, just south of Florence, Oregon, under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS).  The parkland had been purchased by the state from 1930 to 1936. Honeyman Park covers over 500 acres along Highway 101 (the Oregon Coast Highway), tucked behind the Oregon Dunes National Seashore.  It includes two freshwater lakes, Cleawox Lake within the dunes and the much larger Woahink Lake east of the highway. There is a day-use area on the north side of Cleawox Lake, a large campground south of that lake and water sports...
  • Hoosier Gym - Knightstown IN
    Originally constructed in 1921, the Hoosier Gym (best known for its role in the 1986 basketball movie Hoosiers) was improved and expanded the gym in 1936. "The project included an exterior facelift with a new front entrance and lobby, and the creation of basement dressing rooms." No longer used regularly as a gym, the building has been turned into a museum and community center.
  • Hoover Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration, the Works Progress Administration, and the Civil Works Administration (WPA) funded improvements at the Hoover Playground in Washington DC. The work consisted of the following improvements: CWA and FERA, “Graded, fenced, 3 gates.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1935) FERA, 1934-1935, “Constructed new shelter 12 by 28 feet with toilet facilities; removed old shelter.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1936) WPA, 1935-1936, “grading 4,000 cubic yards.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1936) WPA, 1936-1937, “Completed grading, fencing 1,400 linear feet; three gates.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1937)
  • Hoquiam Olympic Stadium - Hoquiam WA
    Hoquiam Olympic Stadium is the largest all-wood structure of its kind in the United States, constructed from old growth fir donated by the Polson Logging Company. This stadium houses local football and baseball games, as well as larger events, such as the annual Hoquiam Loggers Playday. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, and is one of two sites for the annual Hoquiam and Aberdeen football game, which has been a long-standing rivalry dating back to 1905.
  • Horn Pond Improvements - Woburn MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) conducted the following work in Woburn, Massachusetts. WPA Bulletin: Reforestation, terracing and landscaping of 100 acres of land, including Horn Pond, Woburn's major water shed, has been completed by the Woburn WPA. More than 100 men were employed.
  • Horse Creek Group Campground - Willamette National Forest OR
    Among the first of their recreation related construction projects, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees from Camp Belknap laid out and built the Horse Creek Campground in 1934. The group campground is located one-and-a-half miles south of McKenzie Bridge on the banks of Horse Creek. The campground can accommodate approximately 100 people and 23 vehicles. An interesting bit of CCC history in the Willamette National Forest (WNF) is associated with Horse Creek Campground. Forest Supervisor Perry Thompson hired landscape architect William Parke as a recreational planner for the WNF, instructing him to prepare site plans for campgrounds, picnic areas and organization camps...
  • Horseshoe Court - San Francisco CA
    Work consisted of excavation and building masonry rubble walls, 3,000 feet of red rock paths, 600 lineal feet of sewer, a standard convenience station and general renovation of an existing court surrounded by walls of natural floral beauty. This improvement is much appreciated by those who have enjoyed the popular spot for many years in Golden Gate Park. It is suitable for tournaments and competing groups.--Healy, p. 53.
  • Horseshoe Park - Shaker Heights OH
    "In the 1930s, workers with the New Deal's Works Progress Administration (WPA) landscaped the area, turning it from "a pile of mud and rocks" into Horseshoe Lake Park."
  • Hot Springs National Park - Hot Springs AR
    The Arkansas State Parks Commission acquired the land for Lake Catherine State Park in 1935, now a park of Hot Springs National Park. Several rustic style stone and wood buildings were constructed, including three cabins, a former concessions building (now known as the Nature Cabin), and a stone bridge. Work was completed by the 3777th Company of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
  • Houghton's Pond Ball Area - Milton MA
    Description of a 1937 W.P.A. project: "Blue Hills Reservation; two baseball diamonds and four tennis courts were built in the sports area south of Hoosicwhisick Pond in Milton." Hoosicwhisick Pond is also known as Houghton's Pond.
1 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 105