1 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 105
  • Jackie Robinson Memorial Field - Pasadena CA
    “When Franklin D.Roosevelt was elected in 1933, his Works Progress administration (WPA) put Pasadenans to work on park, flood control,and utility projects.They improved Brookside Park for the Chicago White Sox,who set up spring training there.”   (www.pasadena.edu) The stadium mentioned is today known as Jackie Robinson Memorial Field, dedicated to the famous baseball player who grew up in Pasadena and attended Pasadena Junior College, today Pasadena City College (also the site of New Deal projects). One of many features within the Arroyo Seco park system that were built by the New Deal, including trails, public bathrooms, parts of the Rose Bowl, the...
  • Jackie Robinson Park - New York NY
    The spacious Jackie Robinson Park in Harlem, originally called Colonial Park and known for many years as Bradhurst Park, first opened in 1911, but was only fully developed under the New Deal. When the Department of Parks announced the planned reconstruction in August 1935, they gave an unusual level of detail about this important project: "The Department of Parks has determined the location and completed the development plan of a major recreational center in Harlem. For over a year the Department has been searching this section of the city for an area large enough to provide space for the active play...
  • Jackie Robinson Park Playground (W 153rd St.) - New York NY
    The playground inside Jackie Robinson Park (originally Colonial Park), located at Bradhurst Ave. and W 153rd St., was one of 11 Works Progress Administration (WPA) parks that opened April 4, 1936. Excerpt from Frank da Cruz, Kermit Project, Jackie Robinson Park and Pool: "Even though this park was designed, paid for, and built by Federal New Deal agencies of the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration, there is no plaque, cornerstone, or other marker anywhere in or around the park crediting the New Deal in any way for this magnificent community resource. It is not unique in this respect; most New Deal creations in New...
  • Jackie Robinson Pool - New York NY
    Originally known as "Colonial Park Pool" this was the tenth of eleven pools to be constructed by the WPA in New York. 25,000 people attended the opening ceremony on August 7, 1936, which was presided over by Mayor LaGuardia and Robert Mose. The pool is 82 feet x 235 feet and the diving pool is 65 feet x 82 feet. The press release announcing the opening explained: "While only the south half of the two story brick bathhouse building, of medieval architecture with Roman arched windows, buttresses and towers, accommodating 1800 persons, will be ready for the opening, there will be...
  • Jackson High School Football Stadium - Jackson MO
    Completed in 1938, these concrete-based football stadium bleachers were constructed in a former quarry that furnished rock to many local New Deal projects. The stadium is still called "The Pit."
  • Jackson Park Improvements - Chicago IL
    In 1936, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) pursued a variety of improvements at Chicago’s historic Jackson Park.   “The WPA to town in the park,” the Jackson Park Advisory Council opines. WPA work crews built “comfort stations at the golf driving range,” a “children’s playground,” and “a maintenance building and an overpass at 63rd Street.” The WPA “shortened lagoon shoreline and did other rehabilitation work on Wooded Island and at the Japanese Garden. The 1888 ladies comfort station was rehabilitated.” Moreover, golf course “inlet bridges and the Perennial Garden” were installed. “As part of the WPA work, E.V. Buchsman design...
  • Jackson Park Improvements - San Francisco CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) gave Jackson Park a facelift during the 1930s, or what the City Engineer called "General repairs and dressing up" (Healy, p. 58). We have no evidence on what, if any, traces remain of the WPA work. The park's recreation hall and ballfields were created by the SF Parks and Recreation Commission many year earlier and Jackson Park is where Major League baseball star Tony Lazzeri practiced as a kid. The WPA worked on many of the city's parks and playgrounds during the New Deal.
  • Jackson Park Service Building - Milwaukee WI
    "The most visible legacy of WPA projects in Milwaukee County was the parks system, which had more construction and landscaping during the WPA period than any other time in its history. WPA construction included six swimming pools, pavilions at Red Arrow and Brown Deer Parks, service buildings at Jacobus, Jackson and Whitnall Parks, the Botanical Garden administration building and golf club house at Whitnall Park, a bathhouse at Doctor's Park, a recreation center at Smith Park, new roads in nearly every park, and parkways throughout the county."
  • Jackson Pond (former) Improvements - Richmond Hill NY
    "Local children frequented the popular Jackson Pond in all seasons, swimming, fishing, sailing model boats, and ice-skating. Parks replaced the mud bottom with a brownstone pebble gravel bottom in 1931, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved it for the local residents in 1941. By 1966, the pebble bottom became structurally unsound, raising concern about the safety of park-goers, especially during ice-skating season. The pond was filled with cement, and became used for basketball courts." Two basketball courts are located across the street from the still-used Jackson Pond Playground. Thus, the old Jackson Pond was located along the north side of...
  • Jackson Square Park Improvements - New York NY
    This small triangular park at the intersection of 8th Ave., Horatio St. and Greenwich Ave. in Greenwich Village is one of New York City's oldest parks. It dates back to the 19th century. In 1934, it was renovated by the Department of Parks, which announced that the area had "been designed principally for the use of mothers and infants and will be provided very generously with shade trees and benches." The NYC Parks website further explains that during this renovation "seventeen pin oaks were planted on the perimeter, the shower basin was replaced by a new wading pool, and new...
  • Jackson Town Square Development - Jackson WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) developed Jackson Town Square in Jackson, Wyoming. Cassity: "Jackson’s Washington Park, the town square, was significantly improved with excavation to level the ground, replacing the removed soil with loam for seeding grass and shrubbery."
  • Jackson Zoo - Jackson MS
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed buildings at the Jackson Zoological park in Mississippi. Several newer buildings are attributed to the WPA by some sources; however, the only ones documented WPA structures are the zoo's former rhinoceros house, old concession stand, and old restrooms.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Barn & Sawmill - Brownstown IN
    Originally a lumber shed adjacent, and sawmill building nearby. A long concrete foundation remaining may have been one of these. A 1935 photo shows a building where the foundation is. About 750’ N of the barn is a ruin- a concrete basement of seemingly 1930s vintage. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest ECW CCC Camp S55 - Brownstown IN
    Completely overgrown ruins- primarily concrete foundations, some breaks, built-up roadways lived with pines, and a large stone chimney and stone/concrete foundation. Occupied by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 1556, 1933 to 1940.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Museum Building - Brownstown IN
    Concrete foundation, wood shingles. Built in 1935 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) as a museum building, constructed with logs from an old cabin (furnished by Jackson Co Historical Society), the Peter’s house, that had stood in the vicinity of Vallonia.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Oven Shelter #2 - Brownstown IN
    Historic shelter house in process of being completely rebuilt-essentially only the stone fireplaces. Constructed between 1934 and 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co 1556 occupied in the forest.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Oven Shelter Picnic Area - Brownstown IN
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Oven Shelter in the Jackson-Washington State Forest in Indiana in 1934. “This oven shelter in Jackson-Washington State Forest, featuring two fireplaces ovens and grills, was a typical New Deal-era structure in picnic groves.  The entire picnic grove is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.” Hipped roof, wood shingles. Oak grove planting is part of site- uniform age. 2 hiking trails start from the site. Unusually intact picnic grove with all usual elements.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Pond (Cypress Pond) - Brownstown IN
    Impounded nearly circle pond of approx. ¾ acre. Overflow outlet at Southeast. Intended to display aquatic plantings cypress trees line the far edge on the north and west. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Sawmill Hollow Lake & Dam - Brownstown IN
    Approx. 7 acre. lake, impounded by earth dam with small concrete overflow outlet. Small hip-roof frame structure. The two structures below the dam comprised a filter plant. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Service Building (Forest Office) - Brownstown IN
    Concrete foundation, gabled roof. Historic photo indicates there was a 6th garage door south of present office entrance. Dormers originally flat-roofed. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.
  • Jackson-Washington State Forest Shelter House #1 - Brownstown IN
    Concrete foundation, wood shingles, gabled. Two stone fireplace chimneys. 1934 scratched in mortar in floor. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
  • Jacksonville Beach Sea Wall - Jacksonville Beach FL
    The Works Progress Administration constructed the Jacksonville Beach sea wall in Jacksonville BeachFL. The wall prevented beach erosion and provided protection against high tide. It was completed circa 1938.
  • Jacob Riis Park - Queens NY
    The New York City Parks Department website provides a brief history of Jacob Riis Park: "260-acre Riis Park, stretching over a mile on the western section of the Rockaway Peninsula, was acquired by the city in 1913. In 1914, the beach was named for Danish-born photo journalist and social reformer Jacob August Riis, once a Queens resident. The original bathing pavilion was built in 1932 and could handle up to 8,000 users. In 1934, Commissioner Moses announced plans to upgrade Riis Park with a $1.7 million investment, including a new bathing pavilion, parking field, pitch-'n-put golf course, and a 40–foot wide...
  • Jacobus Park Service Building - Milwaukee WI
    "The most visible legacy of WPA projects in Milwaukee County was the parks system, which had more construction and landscaping during the WPA period than any other time in its history. WPA construction included six swimming pools, pavilions at Red Arrow and Brown Deer Parks, service buildings at Jacobus, Jackson and Whitnall Parks, the Botanical Garden administration building and golf club house at Whitnall Park, a bathhouse at Doctor's Park, a recreation center at Smith Park, new roads in nearly every park, and parkways throughout the county."
  • Jamaica Playground - Jamaica NY
    In early 1942, the WPA began work on a new park and playground to be operated jointly by the adjacent P.S. 40 (Samuel Huntington School) and the Department of Parks. A press release announcing the start of construction described the work to be accomplished: "Twenty-three one to two and a half story frame buildings are being demolished in preparation for the new development which will provide the following facilities: eight concrete surfaced handball courts, wading pool, brick comfort station, irrigated sand Pit and sitting area, seesaws, slides and swings for pre-school and older children, a pipe frame exercise unit, two large open...
  • James J. Walker Park Improvements - New York NY
    James J. Walker Park was improved and extended circa 1935 with the help of the New Deal. The agency involved in funding and completing the work is unknown to the Living New Deal. During the 1930s Robert Moses used New Deal funding and labor, yet he  rarely credited New Deal agencies. New Deal plaques in New York parks are rare. For a detailed discussion see, Kermit Project, New Deal Assistance in NYC Parks Department Projects, 1934-43. The NYC Parks site describes the origins of the park: "Bordered by Hudson Street, Clarkson Street, St. Luke’s Place, and the Carmine Street Recreation Center,...
  • James Kenney Recreation Center Improvements - Berkeley CA
    The WPA graded and surfaced the volleyball courts, graded and spread a new loam surface at the playground, painted bleachers, the Community House and outside fences, and re-landscaped.
  • James Park - Phoenix AZ
    The New Deal contributed to the development of James Park, a park in Phoenix, Arizona. Per a 1936 article in Arizona Republic about Public Works Administration (PWA) investments was this: "James park, 11 acres in the northeast part of the city, will have a swimming pool and bath house, as well as facilities for tennis, horseshoes and a children's playground. About $50,000 will be spent on this park alone." This development took place among a massive $923,000 Phoenix park improvement project sponsored by the PWA; PWA Docket No. 2637. Living New Deal does not know the exact location of this park. If it...
  • James Rolph Playground - San Francisco CA
    Construction of baseball bleachers, installation of night lighting; painting and excavation--Mooser, p. 87.
  • Jane Addams High School - Bronx NY
    Jane Addams High School, located in the southern Bronx, was constructed during the 1930s with federal Public Works Administration funds. It opened in 1937. The project was PWA Docket No. NY 1178. The school closed in 2012, and the building now houses two smaller charter schools. In 1935, the Department of Parks had also opened a new playground on the site with federal funds, most likely FERA and possibly CWA funds. It is unclear whether that playground became part of the school's recreational facilities, or whether it was demolished in order to build the school.  
  • Janney Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Civil Works Administration and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration funded improvements at the Janney Playground in Washington DC. The work consisted of building one or more new shelters.
  • Jasper-Pulaski Fish & Wildlife Area Picnic Area - Medaryville IN
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built improvements within the picnic area from 1936-1938. The CCC constructed two shelters and a well. The well still remains and is commonly referred to as the "wishing well."
  • Jasper-Pulaski Fish and Wildlife Area Duck Pond - Medaryville IN
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed a duck pond between 1934-35. The round lake is approximately 1 acre surrounded by concrete posts. In the center of the lake is a round island with stone lining.
  • Jasper-Pulaski Fish and Wildlife Area Pheasant Hatchery and Storage Sheds - Medaryville IN
    These structures were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1933 and 1934.
  • Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park: Amphitheater - Crescent City CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) did the initial development of Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in the 1930s.  The major CCC contribution was the Jedediah Smith campground, which is just off state highway 199 west of the village of Hiouchi. The campground includes an amphitheater (called the Campfire Center) for ranger presentations to visitors.  It sits next to the small visitors' center in the campground. The Campfire Center contains a dozen or so banks of seats, carved from whole redwood logs and arranged in a semi-circle. It has a stone campfire pit, a modern chalkboard/screen, and a stone drinking fountain.  Because...
  • Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park: Campground - Crescent City CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) did the initial development of Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in the 1930s.  The major CCC contribution was the Jedediah Smith campground, which is just off state highway 199 west of the village of Hiouchi. Engbeck (2002) notes that, "CCC Company 1903, of Camp Prairie Creek, built a new entrance road and a park custodian's residence. They built a campground near the Smith River with a footbridge over the river, connecting the campground with the ancient redwoods of the Stout Grove. The campground included tables, stoves, cupboards, and restrooms." The large campground is still there and in...
  • Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park: Development - Crescent City CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) did the initial development of Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in the 1930s. The area where the CCC did its work is along state highway 199, just west of the village of Hiouchi and a few miles east of Crescent City, California.  This remains the only significantly developed part of this large park, with its many groves of enormous, first-growth redwoods, such as Stout Grove. Engbeck (2002) notes that, "CCC Company 1903, of Camp Prairie Creek, built a new entrance road and a park custodian's residence. They built a campground near the Smith River with a...
  • Jefferson Barracks Development - St. Louis MO
    The Works Progress Administration / Work Projects Administration (WPA) conducted large-scale construction and development projects at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis, Missouri. Per a DoD report: Description: Rehabilitate buildings and facilities; Project No. 113-3-55-69; Cost: $50,000.00; Sponsor: War Department Repair and improve boathouse; 165-71-2140; $7,072.00; State Military Department Widen and construct stone shoulders and gutters; 265-55-1000; $4,675.00; U.S. Veterans Administration Repair asphalt and widen road; 265-55-1001; $77,239.00; Jefferson Barracks Make miscellaneous repairs and improvements to buildings; 265-55-2000; $61,914.00; Construct fire prevention roads and clear brush and undergrowth; 265-55-6004; $72,658.00; Jefferson Barracks Pave roads, construct curbs, and repair stone wall; 265-55-8005;...
  • Jefferson Field - Washington DC
    In October 1942, the Washington Post reported the allocation of $19,627 to the Federal Works Agency (FWA) for new construction and improvements at the Jefferson Recreation Center adjacent to Jefferson Middle School in the city's southwest quadrant.  In a previous article in July 1942, the paper reported the allocation of five acres for a Southwest Sports Area at the same site, which must have become the Jefferson Recreation Center.  The site is now called simply "Jefferson Field".  Jefferson Field includes a baseball diamond, soccer field and tennis courts, plus what appears to be the original field house (with a modern ramp).  The Jefferson...
  • Jefferson High School Stadium and Athletic Field - Portland OR
    Collaborating with the Portland Public Schools, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a 1000 seat stadium for Jefferson High School in the summer of 1941.  The $14,000 project (1941 dollars) consists of an uncovered structure with restroom and concession facilities built in the rear.  The Oregonian, Portland’s morning newspaper, noted when the stadium structure was dedicated in October 1941 that the adjacent athletic field was also a WPA project, completed over the previous two years. Jefferson High School is notable as the high school of the historic African American community of north Portland.  Also worth noting is the 'mascot' of the...
1 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 105