J. W. Wells State Park – Cedar River MI

The CCC conducted substantial development work at J. W. Wells State Park in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula: they constructed roads, signs, kiosks, a pump house, a comfort station, a laundry facility, a bath house, Bay Stone Lodge (was staff residence), cabins,… read more

Jackie Robinson Park – New York NY

The spacious Jackie Robinson Park in Harlem, originally called Colonial Park and known for many years as Bradhurst Park, first opened in 1911, but was only fully developed under the New Deal. When the Department of Parks announced the planned… read more

Jackson-Washington State Forest Oven Shelter Picnic Area – Brownstown IN

The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Oven Shelter in the Jackson-Washington State Forest in Indiana in 1934. “This oven shelter in Jackson-Washington State Forest, featuring two fireplaces ovens and grills, was a typical New Deal-era structure in picnic groves.  The entire… read more