- Los Angeles, CA
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Lodges, Ranger Stations and Visitor Centers
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
"On Oct. 3, 1933, tragedy struck in the Mineral Wells area of Griffith Park. More than 1,500 public-relief workers in the park came rushing to put out a brush fire. Some climbed down into the steep canyon to fight the blaze, but having no firefighting experience, 29 of the workers were engulfed by fire and died. Two years later the WPA rebuilt the clubhouse that had burned in the fire."
"Following the fire which destroyed the original clubhouse, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Work Progress Administration built the current Clubhouse in 1937. Constructed in the Spanish Revival Architectural Style, the Clubhouse employs many design features which are unique to this classic California architectural style. Vaulted beam ceilings, arched panoramic windows and hand-pegged wood floors are but a few of the distinctive features."
The clubhouse is located in Griffith Park at 4730 Crystal Springs Dr.
At this Location:
- Griffith Park: CCC Camps (former) – Los Angeles CA
- Griffith Park: Astronomers Monument - Los Angeles CA
- Griffith Park: Palo-Kangas Sculpture - Los Angeles CA
- Griffith Park: Wilson and Harding Golf Course Club House - Los Angeles CA
- Griffith Park: Vermont Canyon Tennis Complex - Los Angeles
- Griffith Park: Roosevelt Municipal Golf Course - Los Angeles CA
- Griffith Park: Check Dams - Los Angeles CA
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site