This WPA land reclamation project (a process by which new land is created from sea or riverbeds) appears to have taken place where 28th street runs into the San Diego coastline near East Harbor Drive. Note the ships and masts… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built some of the cabins at the Holiday Lake 4-H Center in Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest. The CCC also constructed the Woolridge Wayside picnic area nearby.
“A. H. Stephens Historic Park contains tent and trailer sites, picnic sites, and fishing ponds, as well as a nature trail and rustic cabins, and was mostly built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, beginning in 1933.” (wikipedia) The park “is… read more
Winchester.us: “During the 1930s the channel upstream of the Aberjona Pond was rechanneled, section by section, as ERA and WPA projects. The projects were based on recommendations by Herbert Kellaway, published in 1928. In the Kellaway plan, three ponds for… read more
“Across the country, natural resources were being lost to poor conservation, heavy use, and severe drought. In Maine, one of the newer national parks was struggling. Even though Acadia National Park had been created 17 years earlier, it was still… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was present in Death Valley National Monument from 1933 to 1942. CCC ‘boys’ built erected a total of 76 buildings in the monument, including administrative, residential, maintenance & visitor facilities. The main CCC camp was… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers built a shelter at Admiralty Cove, part of the Admiralty Island Canoe Route. The structure serves as a boat shelter today and is located on the site of the Admiralty Cove Cabin.
Al Krueger Field, located at the EOT County Fairgrounds in Perham, Minnesota, was originally constructed as a federal Works Progress Administration project during the Great Depression. The original structure was torn down in 2012 and replaced; the site is now… read more
This shore-side park was constructed with CWA and FERA funds. From a Department of Land and Natural Resources calendar: “The moderne style, FERA funded Ala Moana Park East Entry Gateway (1934), designed by Harry Sims Bent, was officially named the… read more
Part of the Ala Moana Park complex, the Sports Pavilion and Banyan Court were designed by architect Harry Sims Bent and built with the help of federal funds and FERA and CWA labor. “The simple concrete exterior walls of the… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a swimming pool for the former State Training School for Girls in Chalkville, Alabama, near Birmingham.
Multiple New Deal agencies were involved with improving the grounds at the Alamo. A timeline mural board on the west side of the Alamo Museum indicates that “depression-era public works projects” built the walls that now encompass the grounds of… read more
In January 1940, the Parks Department announced the completion of a complete renovation of what is now the Alexander Hamilton Playground: “At the Hamilton Place area, the old playground has been entirely reconstructed to provide for wider and more intensive… read more
“The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) provided jobs to people willing to work towards reforestation of cut-over timber land and was the progenitor organization of the Allegheny National Forest. A number of CCC camps and CCC associated property types are located… read more
At Alley Spring, the CCC constructed many trails, rock walls, 11 buildings, campgrounds, roads, restored the mill including replacing the floor, and diverted the slough adjacent to the mill to insure that it did not silt in. The CCC unit… read more
Located in the Snow Mountain Ranger District of the Malheur National Forest (transferred from the Ochoco National Forest in 2003), the Allison Ranger Station can be described as historically significant given its age and continuous use in the administration of… read more