1 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 108
  • Saratoga Spa Complex - Saratoga Springs NY
    Saratoga Springs has been famous for its mineral waters, for bathing and drinking, for four centuries, and was known to native people long before that.  The town has a rich history of tourism, horse-racing and gambling, and its many springs have been developed commercially and heavily exploited by bottling companies.  In order to protect the springs from over-pumping, the area was declared a New York State Reservation in 1909. Dr. Simon Baruch, a leading exponent of hydrotherapy, guided the Spa's development in its early years.  In 1928, New York Governor Franklin Roosevelt established a commission to rehabilitate the springs, chaired by Bernard Baruch,...
  • Augusta City Farm/Poor Farm (demolished) Repairs - Augusta ME
    "During the winter of 1934-35, Augusta city officials called upon the ERA to assist in repairing the City Farm. This called for a tremenduous amount of material and labor but an agreement was made by the two parties whereby the City was to furnish the material and the ERA the labor. The project was started January 24, 1935 with a small crew of men and within a few days more men were added to make a crew of 21. This crew remained on the job until it was finished on June 6, 1935. The labor cost of this project was...
  • Quimby Field - Gardiner ME
    "The Quimby Athletic Field of Gardiner was enlarged to make a combination baseball and football field at a cost of $17,257.08 of which $1,368.50 was spent for material. There were 11,700 cubic yards of earth moved and 300 cubic yards of ledge had to be taken out. All was done by hand. Two grandstands 50 feet long were constructed from lumber salvaged at the Veteran's Administration Grounds at Togus. They were roofed with metal roofing, painted with a heavy coat of asphalt aluminum paint. These stands will seat 300 people each. A dressing room was built beneath one and a lavatory and...
  • Disposal Plant (former) - Newcastle TX
    Newcastle was approved 2/28/1934 for construction of a sanitation disposal plant by the PWA. The project was awarded 8/30/1934 and work started 12/10/1934. The project was funded with a loan of $24,500, grant of $9,322, for a total expenditure of $33,444 when the project was completed 6/13/1935. The location of the project is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Gary School Grounds Beautification - Tyler TX
    The school is a brick building erected in 1924. There is a rubble rock retaining wall on two sides and a rubble rock stairway. An article entitled "Smith County WPA Projects Get Approval" from Tyler (Texas) Daily Courier Times dated 8/5/1935. "One project of considerable interest to Tyler provides for the landscaping and improvements of the Gary school ground on South Chilton, at approximate cost of $10,000 to $12,000. The plans provide for making the grounds one of the most beautiful in Texas, according to Superintendent J.M. Hodges. They call for a retaining wall around sections washed away, shrubbery around the...
  • Park Square Fountain - Seguin TX
    Fountain, center of Park Square, c. 1935, A WPA project, the fountain exhibits Art Moderne motifs, with stylized volutes and fluting ornamenting its basically plain mass. It serves to continue the public function of the square, and thus contributes to the integrity of the district.
  • Municipal Building - Seguin TX
    Two-story stone Art Moderne governmental building; symmetrical facades with recessed quadripartite windows; central entrance bay behind stepped recess with decorative metalwork around entrance and above central second-story window; central stepped parapet. A WPA project designed by architect Louis Wirtz, the building exemplifies one period of architecture in Seguin.
  • North Rose-Wolcott Middle School - Wolcott NY
    North Rose-Wolcott Middle School, located at 5957 New Hartford St. in Wolcott, New York, was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $325,000 loan and $132,381 grant for the project, whose total cost was $478,816. Construction occurred between Aug. 1934 and Sept. 1935. PWA Docket No. NY 2254
  • Central School (abandoned) - Mt. Upton NY
    The former Mt. Upton Central School, located on the west side of NY-8 just north of the intersection in central Mt. Upton, was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $62,000 loan and $26,757 grant for the project, whose total cost was $102,066. Construction occurred between Oct. 1934 and Nov. 1935. The school has since relocated, and this building is currently abandoned. PWA Docket No. NY 6049
  • Post Office - Honesdale PA
    This classic New Deal post office was constructed with Treasury Department funding, in conjunction with Public Works Administration (PWA), in 1935. The building, PWA Federal Project 332, houses a series of New Deal murals. "On April 1, 1935 ground was broken for the present brick post office. In December 1935 equipment was moved into the building and the dedication was held December 13, 1935. The land was purchased for $8,500 and the cost to build was $60,000."   (https://www.waynehistorypa.org/plid/173)
1 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 108