1 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 108
  • Chehalem Cultural Center (Central School) - Newberg OR
    As indicated by the Newberg Area Historical Society marker on site, a $15,000 Public Works Administration (PWA) grant allowed the Newberg School District to secure a $35,000 bond to build this brick building, occupied currently by the Chehalem Cultural Center. The New Deal era Central School (1935) replaced a wooden school building at the same location that dated from 1889. As early as 1933, the structure was declared a fire hazard. Newberg voters approved raising funds for the new school in 1934 with the necessary bond secured by the PWA grant. H. J. Settergren, a Portland area contractor, built the new Central...
  • Woodrow Wilson High School - Washington DC
    In the early years of the New Deal, 1934-1935, Congress funded the construction of the Woodrow Wilson High School through one or more appropriations of around $1 million to the DC Commissioners. At the time, funding and control of the local government in DC was firmly under the control of the federal government. Municipal architects Albert Harris and Nathan Wyeth were in charge of the design, which is a large Federal style, multi-story, brick building around a central courtyard, with a tower above the main entrance and minimal decoration. The firm of McCloskey & Co. was hired to do construction. The project was...
  • Cascade River Overlook - Lutsen MN
    In 1934 the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) implemented a camp at the Spruce Creek State Park for drought relief by Robert E. Fechner (p.4, The Minneapolis Star), who was selected by President Roosevelt to direct the CCC (Roosevelts tree army). The Spruce Creek Camp established its camp ground at the Cascade River on the North shore. From there they started to build the Cascade River Overlook, which is the largest structure built by the Spruce Creek CCC camp. The CCC camp worked on the overlook for one year between 1934-1935, The Cascade River Overlook is Minnesota’s first example of a...
  • Weber Dam and Reservoir - Walker River Indian Reservation NV
    Construction of the 1,950-foot earthen dam (embankment), gatehouse, spillway and outlet channel commenced in 1933 and was largely completed in 1935; the spillway gates were finished between 1937-1939. The concrete gatehouse was stamped with the year "1934" and "USIS" (Indian Irrigation Service). The purpose of the dam and reservoir is to impound much needed East Walker River water for agricultural use on the Walker River Indian Reservation. The dam project is a good example of the New Deal at work on Indian lands. Approximately $130,000 of the project was financed by the Public Works Administration (PWA). Weber Dam and Reservoir was...
  • Orogrande School - Orogrande NM
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Orogrande School in Orogrande NM. The structure served as a grade school from 1935-1958, a polling location from 1935 to 1985, and a community center from 1971 to present.
  • Matawan Aberdeen Public Library Improvements - Matawan NJ
    In 1935, the Works Progress Administration completed upgrades/repairs for the Matawan Aberdeen Public Library on Main Street, Matawan, NJ. "As the year draws to a close, a WPA-funded upgrading project begins. The project includes book repair, creation of local history scrapbooks, mounting of photos (for instructional purposes), indexing/cataloging and shelf-listing."
  • Lopez School Improvements - Biloxi MS
    Lopez School, WP-52, was started Sept 25, 1935 and completed Dec 13, 1935. Federal funds included $1003 and sponsor contribution was $296 for repairs and renovations to the 1925 1.5 story building. The front lawn was graded and prepared for drainage, and an adjacent lot graded for a playground. The exterior woodwork was painted, and some interior painting and plastering of the cafeteria ceiling completed. The project included payroll for 14 laborers and 9 skilled workers of $809.04. The school was demolished September 2000.
  • Phillips Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration funded improvements at the Phillips Playground in Washington DC, between 1934 and 1935. The work consisted of the following improvements: “Graded ground, removing 200 cubic yards dirt; fencing (700 feet, 8-foot); 4 gates.”
  • Burroughs Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) completed improvements at theBurroughs Playground in Washington DC, between 1934 and 1935. The work consisted of the following improvements: “Resurfaced two tennis courts.” The playground is on the school grounds of the John Burroughs Elementary School and is used as a school grounds and community playground.
  • Payne Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) funded improvements at the Payne Playground in Washington DC between 1934 and 1935. The work consisted of the following improvements: “Removed old shelter and wrecked it; replaced with shelter moved from Lincoln; remodeled, repaired, and painted.”
1 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 108