1 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 109
  • CCC Camp Boyington (former) - Astoria OR
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Boyington served a company of CCC enrollees within the first year of the New Deal. Construction began on the camp outside of Astoria, near the unincorporated town of Olney, in October 1933. The company of 200 "tree troopers" arrived within months of the historic Tillamook Burn that occurred in the summer of 1933. The CCC enrollees provided management and firefighting services on private forest land in the northern Oregon Coast Range. The 1937 report of the Vancouver Barracks CCC District noted that the Company was identified as "a peak camp" by 1935 when its Company number changed from...
  • Main Utility Building - Yosemite National Park CA
    The Group Utility Building (original name) in Yosemite Valley opened 1935.  It was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The utility building consolidated a hodgepodge of old shops, forges, storage and maintenance into one facility.  It also provided three bays for fire trucks. It is a mammoth structure covering 18,548 square feet and lacking in any architectural niceties, hence popularly known as "Fort Yosemite."  Despite its size, however, very few visitors ever see it or know of it.  It is tucked away in the maintenance and parking areas north of the Visitors' Center and Yosemite Museum.
  • Angel's Rest Trail - Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area OR
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees from Camp New Benson Park improved the Columbia River Gorge hike to Angel's Rest in 1934-1935, This involved building bridges over streams as well as grooming the trail. Angel's Rest is one of the most popular hikes in the Columbia River Gorge Scenic area, considered by many a "must" for local hikers. In 1934, a reporter for Portland's Oregon Journal stated: " Perhaps the most beautiful hike out of Benson Park is the trail to Angel's Rest, where at an elevation of 1600 feet one may see up and down the Columbia River Gorge for 50 miles." The...
  • Benson State Recreation Area (New Benson Park) - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR
    In 1933, the City of Portland gave permission to the federal government to establish a Civilian Conservation Camp (CCC) in its Columbia River Gorge Park. What had been Benson Park became CCC Camp Benson. Between 1933 and 1935, CCC enrollees groomed the surrounding parkland, creating the New Benson Park. Today, the lowland, timbered park serves as a day use picnic area with swimming and fishing in the park’s Benson Lake. It also serves as the western anchor to a system of trails connecting Multnomah Falls to the east and Wahkeena Falls to the south. The work of the CCC established these amenities...
  • CCC Camp Benson (former) - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR
    One of three Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps located in the Columbia River Gorge, CCC Camp Benson occupied what was then the City of Portland's Benson Park between 1933 and 1935. Enrollees at this early CCC camp made significant contributions to the development of recreational amenities in the Columbia River Gorge. Camp Benson provided workers for much of Eagle Creek Campground's construction in the Cascade Locks area, as well as improvements at the picnic areas at Wahkeena Falls and Benson Park itself.  Commenting on the progress of Camp Benson enrollees at Benson Park, The Oregonian reported: "Crews of CCC workers assigned to...
  • Summit Park Parking - Bangor ME
    Federal Emergency Relief Administration crews built parking for Summit Park in Bangor ME. Excerpt from Bangor Daily News: "ERA Workers Building Parking Space Near Old Water Standpipe" "One of the new ERA projects now under way in Bangor is a large parking place being constructed at Summit Park. Those who have driven to the standpipe during summer nights for a view of the city, have found it impossible to get a good parking place, and it is believed that the new graveled area will be one of great convenience to those who wish to view the surrounding country from the top of Thomas Hill. At...
  • Stanton County Museum - Johnson City KS
    The Works Progress Administration built the Stanton County Museum in Johnson KS in 1935. The structure is built of native stone.
  • Van Doren Park Facilities - Bird City KS
    The Works Progress Administration built facilities at Van Doren Park in Bird City, Kansas. The park buildings were constructed with stone from Beaver Creek and the Kuhrt Ranch quarry.      
  • City Hall - Bird City KS
    The Works Progress Administration built the City Hall in Bird City, Kansas. The park buildings were constructed with stone from Beaver Creek and the Kuhrt Ranch quarry.    
  • Viola L. Sickles School (formerly the Willow Street School) - Fair Haven NJ
    This public elementary school was built in 1935 with funds in part from the Works Progress Administration. Its facade is in the popular Art Deco style of that time. The architect of record was J. Robert Pierson & Son. 
1 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 109