1 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 109
  • Kessler Avenue (Highway 77) Underpass - Schulenburg TX
    The Texas Highway Department and the United States Bureau of Public Roads built an underpass in 1935 to separate the grade between the Texas & New Orleans Railroad tracks and U. S. Highway 77 in Schulenburg, Texas.
  • P.S. 80 - Bronx NY
    The P.S. 80 school in the Bronx was built in 1935-36 as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The plans for the school were approved by the Board of Education in 1935.
  • Hillside Homes - Bronx NY
    The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Hillside Homes, one of the first subsidized housing projects in the United States. Located in Williamsbridge, the Bronx, the housing complex spans five city blocks. It was designed by architect and urban planner Clarence Stein. The complex was dedicated on June 29, 1935 by Governor Lehman and officials representing of the Federal, State, city, and borough governments. At the time of its opening, the Hillside complex was owned by the Hillside Housing Corporation with with rents controlled by the Federal Housing Authority and the State Housing Board. The facility is still in service...
  • Bryant Park - New York NY
    Bryant Park was redesigned and rebuilt between 1933 and 1935 with the help of New Deal funding and Civil Works Administration labor. The project was supervised by the Parks Department, led at the time by Robert Moses. The central role of the New Deal in the reconstruction of the park has received little recognition, with most of the credit going to Moses' Parks Department. Yet, New Deal support was substantial. Moses himself stated for the NewYork Times that " the projects of 1934, with the exception of the parkways, were done almost entirely with relief labor," mentioning the reconstruction of Bryant...
  • James J. Walker Park Improvements - New York NY
    James J. Walker Park was improved and extended circa 1935 with the help of the New Deal. The agency involved in funding and completing the work is unknown to the Living New Deal. During the 1930s Robert Moses used New Deal funding and labor, yet he  rarely credited New Deal agencies. New Deal plaques in New York parks are rare. For a detailed discussion see, Kermit Project, New Deal Assistance in NYC Parks Department Projects, 1934-43. The NYC Parks site describes the origins of the park: "Bordered by Hudson Street, Clarkson Street, St. Luke’s Place, and the Carmine Street Recreation Center,...
  • Minetta Green - New York NY
    Minetta Green was built circa 1935 with the help of the New Deal. The agency involved in funding or completing the work is unknown to the Living New Deal. During the 1930s, Robert Moses used New Deal funding and labor to build public park facilities, yet rarely credited the New Deal agencies that supported the projects. Because he prohibited the placement of New Deal plaques and corner stones, we have few sources that tie public parks in New York to New Deal agencies. However, several of Moses’ statements reveal the large scale of federal funding for parks  For a detailed...
  • Camp Ben McCulloch Improvements - Driftwood TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements to Camp Ben McCulloch in 1935. The WPA cleared the grounds and created a network of dirt-packed roads leading from the highway to the campgrounds. They modified the open sided gathering hall built in 1904 with a stone facade with a faux cornice to resemble entering a building. The current bathroom was built as a shelter by the WPA and converted to bathrooms in the 1970s. Camp Ben McCulloch was organized in the summer of 1896 as a reunion camp for Confederate veterans and named for Brigadier General Benjamin McCulloch, who was killed at...
  • City Market House (demolished) - Austin TX
    The City of Austin built a farmers' market in downtown Austin partially funded by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant. A bond issue for the market was approved on May 18, 1928, but other city priorities and then the deteriorating financial situation in the country from the Great Depression prevented moving forward with the project. The city submitted an application for a grant of 30% of the cost of the market, and the PWA returned with a grant not to exceed $11,800 in October 1934. The city let a contract the same month for $48,000 to W.J. Schwarzer of Austin...
  • P.S. 107 - Bronx NY
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funding for the construction of Public School 107 in the Bronx, in 1935. Funding for this school was part of a larger PWA grant ($117,641) allotted for the building of 64 projects in all five boroughs of New York City.
  • North Grand Island Bridge - Grand Island NY
    What is now the northbound span of the North Grand Island Bridge (as well as the southbound span of the South Grand Island Bridge) was constructed as a New Deal project in 1933-5, funded by a Reconstruction Finance Corporation (RFC) loan. "The Swartz bill, drafted by Commissioner Robert Moses, state representative of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, passed the Legislature in 1933. This measure paved the way for the $2,880,000 loan from the R. F. C. Robert Moses became an enthusiastic supporter of the bridge. Former Governor Alfred E. Smith gave his active support to the project, as did Speaker Joseph A. McGinnus....
1 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 109