1 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 105
  • Lincoln Playground Field House - Washington DC
    The field house at the former Lincoln Playground (now Joy Evans Park and Lincoln Capper Pool) was built by Civil Works Administration (CWA) relief workers in 1934. It appears to have been demolished and replaced by the Joy Evans Early Childhood Center. The design was brick Colonial Revival, the standard plan for field houses from the period. The Lincoln Playground field house was a notable example of its type and follows the design first established by Municipal Architect Albert L. Harris, whose work is closely identified with civic architecture in Washington, D.C. The Lincoln Playground field house was the only one of...
  • Lincoln School (former) Improvements - Framingham MA
    All 17 schoolhouses in Framingham, Massachusetts were painted, remodeled, and/or repaired with federally funded labor during the Great Depression. At the former Lincoln School the Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) painted classrooms and repaired ceilings in 1933. Heating facilities and floors were improved in 1934. Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) funds also allowed for a new playground for the school that year. In 1936 the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.)  conducted numerous repairs, including varnishing interior woodwork; painting, both inside and out; patching ceilings; and re-pointing bricks. New concrete walkways were installed by the W.P.A. in 1937. A school addition project was completed by the...
  • Lincoln School Assistance (former) - Trenton NJ
    Trenton, New Jersey's old Lincoln School, then a segregated facility, was improved by the federal National Youth Administration (NYA) ca. 1936. The facility now operates as the Rivera School. Quote "The Dawn," a monthly WPA newsletter, July 1936: Twelve colored boys are constructing a baseball diamond at the Lincoln School, and eight girls are doing bookbinding work at the same school.
  • Lincoln School Athletic Field (former) Improvements - Plymouth IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work at what was then Lincoln High School in Plymouth, Indiana. The educational facility, fronting N Liberty Street, appears to have no athletic fields—just parking lots.
  • Lincoln State Park - Lincoln City IN
    Lincoln State Park was occupied by three New Deal agencies from 1933-1942. The first agency to occupy Lincoln Park was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The CCC Company 1543 was active in Lincoln State Park from 1933-1934. The CCC laborers planted trees and constructed a fire tower, shelters, and a ranger cabin. After the CCC laborers were relocated in 1935, Federal Emergency Relief Administration laborers arrived and continued to build improvements for the park. FERA workers developed numerous fish rearing ponds. Later the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was stationed at Lincoln Park. WPA workers built hiking trails, a service building,...
  • Lincoln State Park: CCC Camp Site - Lincoln City IN
    CCC Co. 1543 abandoned their campsite and relocated to Turkey Run in 1934. FERA workers seeded the abandoned campsite and WPA laborers salvaged the lumber.  Some remaining evidence of the CCC Camp include rock walls, ditches, and concrete foundations.
  • Lincoln State Park: Fire Tower - Lincoln City IN
    The CCC constructed firetowers on steel frameworks to help protect the new plantings and existing forests. The firetower at Lincoln State Park was completed in 1934 by CCC laborers. The firetower stands around 120' tall.
  • Lincoln State Park: Footbridge - Lincoln City IN
    CCC laborers completed the first bridge in 1933. The bridge is accessible to vehicles and is positioned between nature center and group camp.
  • Lincoln State Park: Footbridge 2 - Lincoln City IN
    CCC laborers completed the second footbridge in 1933.
  • Lincoln State Park: Ranger's Cabin - Lincoln City IN
    The Ranger's Cabin, also known as the boathouse, sits on the shore of Lake Lincoln. It was completed by CCC Company 1543 in 1934. The structure was intended for park personnel residence but is now used as a boat rental office. The style of the cabin is classified as parks rustic.
  • Lincoln State Park: Shelter - Lincoln City IN
    The lakeside shelter was completed by CCC workers in 1934. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
  • Lincoln State Park: Superintendent's House - Lincoln City IN
    The house was part of a planned service area, which developed after World War II. The superintendent's residence was nearly completed by CCC laborers when the CCC Camp abandoned in 1942.
  • Lincoln Terrace Park - Brooklyn NY
    This large, tiered park in Brooklyn was acquired by the City in stages between 1916 and 1935. In 1939-1940, the WPA constructed a brand new playground on the lower level of the park and then completely redesigned the upper levels as well. The August 1939 press release announcing the opening of the lower section described this work in detail: "The Brooklyn playground, in Lincoln Terrace Park, is one of the most intensively developed recreational areas that has been constructed by the Park Department. It is thirteen acres in size and contains a large open play area for group games for older...
  • Lindbergh Bay Municipal Beach House - St. Thomas VI
    “Also with Public Works Administration funds, a beach house is being constructed at the government-owned Lindbergh Bay beach, one of the best in the world, where also golf will be available on the links on which Colonel Lindbergh landed his "Spirit of St. Louis" in 1928. On this same esste is reserved a site for another hotel when required, and the botanical garden nearby lends additional attraction to the vicinity.”
  • Lindbergh Bay Pier - Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas VI
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) carried out the construction of a pier "at Lindbergh Bay on Government-owned property." The cost of the PWA work—which included a beach house—was $3,230.85.
  • Linden Fire Station (former) Expansion - Malden MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers constructed an extension to the multi-purpose former community building and Linden Fire Station in Malden, Mass. WPA Bulletin: A ward meeting place has been built, recreational quarters added and library floor space doubled by a recent WPA addition to the Linden Fire Station, and branch public library, Maiden. The addition is provided with modern heating, plumbing and electricity. The expansion housed a small branch library, in addition to the fire station. The building has not been an active fire station or library for years, however, it remains the property of the City of Malden which utilizes it for...
  • Lindenwood Park Development - Fargo ND
    CCC Camp SP-3, made up of World War I veterans, "complete extensive work at three city parks in Fargo (Lindenwood, Edgewood, and Oak Grove) ca. 1935.
  • Lindsay Park Improvements - Davenport IA
    Lindsay Park is a 31-acre park located east Davenport, Iowa. The Works Progress Administration landscaped and improved the park in 1935. Pictured is Lindsay park in 1992. The appearance of the park has changed little since then.
  • Linn Run State Park - Rector PA
    A Pennsylvania Historic Resource Survey documents both CCC and WPA work on the park: "The CCC and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) jointly developed Linn Run State Park. There is some indication from secondary sources that the WPA constructed the cabins and other buildings and structures, while the CCC landscaped the logged area and constructed roads, water and sewage systems, and other utilities... Other CCC-built resources within the district include two stone foot bridges, an automobile bridge constructed of steel I-beams with stone abutments, and low profile stone cooking fireplaces."
  • Lion's Pride Playground - Brooklyn NY
    The Department of Parks announced the opening of this playground on August 30, 1935 and noted that it contained a wading pool and playground apparatus. Although federal involvement is not explicitly mentioned, federal funding for laborers, materials, architects, landscapers and engineers employed on Parks projects is acknowledged in about 350 press releases from 1934 to 1943. As researcher Frank da Cruz explains here, from these and other sources, it can be confidently stated that all New York City parks projects from 1934 to 1938 and almost all from 1939-1943 were completed in whole or in part with New Deal funding...
  • Lions Municipal Golf Course Improvements - Austin TX
    Lions Municipal Golf Course was constructed in 1924 for the Lions Club and has been operated by the City of Austin, Texas since 1937. The course was Austin's first public golf course and is historically notable for being the first golf course south of the Mason-Dixon Line to racially integrate. The Works Progress Administration approved a project for the installation of a sprinkling system on the greens and fairways of the golf course and other general improvements to the grounds. The project involved the expenditure of $9,538.70 of federal funds and $11,539.00 of city funds.
  • Lions Park Building - Cheyenne WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and/or Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) constructed a building in Lions Park in Cheyenne, Wyoming, most likely in 1934. "Already a city of beautiful parks, Cheyenne erected a red stone building with relief labor at Lions park to house equipment and a wall was raised as well to shut off any unsightly display of implements." The location and status of this project is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Lions Recuperation Camp (former) Recreation Building - Casper WY
    Casper Star-Tribune: "Convention and social sessions were transferred this afternoon to the Lions recuperation camp for undernourished children on Casper mountain. There in the new assembly and recreational building erected of logs as a CWA project, visitors also learned of the program through a talk given by A. Baker, Casper club member and a past district governor of the Lions. He reviewed both the history and the achievements of the camp, which ministers annually to between 60 and 70 deserving Casper children who are extended the benefits of wholesome and invigorating recreation combined with body-building food and care." The status and...
  • Lippitt Memorial Park - Providence RI
    This large park and fountain, two miles north of the Brown campus, were erected by the WPA in 1935-37 and 1940 respectively.
  • Lithia Park Improvements - Ashland OR
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made extensive improvements to Lithia Park, a 100-acre park at the heart of Ashland OR, from 1935 to 1938. Lithia Park was established in the early 20th century along Ashland Creek above the main town plaza, next to a small Chautauqua Park (added to Lithia Park in 1917).  A duck pond with waterfall was built on the site of an old flour mill in 1910 and then John McLaren, the designer of San Francisco's Golden Gate Park, was invited to landscape the park in 1914-15.  McLaren transformed the little valley around the creek into a romantic...
  • Little Flower Playground - New York NY
    "This playground, formerly La Guardia Houses Park, refers to the popular nickname of New York City mayor Fiorello H. La Guardia (1882-1947), Little Flower. The nickname is a literal translation of the Italian mayor’s first name and an allusion to his small physical stature of 5 feet 2 inches." It was completed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA)." It is also the site of Jo Davidson's bust of LaGuardia.  
  • Little Park Shelter House - Morrison CO
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built this octagonal stone shelter The shelter was designed by Denver architect J.J.B. Benedict in the popular parks rustic style of the time, using native stone and timber to blend with the natural setting.  Little Park was added to the Denver Mountain Park system in 1917.  We do not know exactly what year the shelter was built.
  • Little River State Beach Development - McKinleyville CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) first developed Little River State Beach in the early 1930s.  CCC enrollees built a park boundary fence, an entrance gate, a parking area, and a day-use picnic facility with tables, benches, stoves, cupboards, and restrooms. All of these improvements have been lost to winter storms and the shifting sands typical of Pacific Coast beaches and dunes, especially in far Northern California. The work was carried out some time between 1933 and 1937 by the men of Company 1903 at Camp Prairie Creek, from where the CCC worked on state parks all along the north coast of California.
  • Little River State Forest - Escambia AL
    "Little River State Forest is an Alabama state forest in the counties of Escambia and Monroe. The forest is approximately 2,100 acres (850 ha) and sits at an elevation of 161 feet (49 m). The forest had its beginnings in the 1930s, when the property was deeded to the state. In 1934, during the Great Depression, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) began work to create a state park at the site. Many current structures date from the CCC period, including the office building, a cabin, pavilions, a nature trail, and a 25-acre (10 ha) lake. The site is managed and maintained by the...
  • Little Rock Zoo - Little Rock AR
    The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) had a great impact on War Memorial Park, including constructing "the original zoo buildings" at Little Rock Zoo.
  • Little Thorny Creek Dam - Seneca State Forest WV
    "At Seneca State Forest, Little Thorny Creek was dammed to form Seneca Lake. The original dam stood 24 feet wide at the top, 16 feet high, and 162 feet long. The CCC constructed the original dam in three months using 116,000 feet of cribbed logs and 4,000 cubic yards of clay."
  • Live Oak Park - Manhattan Beach CA
    The WPA built the park and several blocks of surrounding sidewalks.
  • Live Oak Park Improvements - Berkeley CA
    The WPA repaired the walks with gravel and oil, improved the sprinkling system, and re-landscaped as part of the WPA parks project in Berkeley.
  • Livingston Park Pavilion - Jackson MS
    The rustic style pavilion was constructed in Livingston Park, currently home to the Jackson Zoological Park.
  • Lockhart State Park - Lockhart TX
    Lockhart State Park is located at the southwestern edge of Lockhart, Texas and is administered by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. The park consists of 263.7 acres of land that was purchased by the State of Texas on December 14, 1934. The park was constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 3803 between 1935 and 1938. The park was leased to a local country club until 1948 and then opened to the public as a state park. The CCC built the park residence, the combination building, Park Road 10, a stone arch bridge, a swimming pool, a concrete water storage...
  • Locklin Pool Facility Improvements - Bisbee AZ
    The facilities and area at the Locklin Avenue swimming pool, including access stairs from the canyon below and changing rooms were built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938-39. The pool was completed in 1923, well before the advent of the New Deal, and has since been abandoned. According to the Bisbee Daily Review, “Bath house to be remodeled: New change rooms proposed at city swimming pool as WPA project. Bisbee swimming fans may soon have new changing rooms provided for them at the city swimming pool, officials revealed yesterday. Remodeling of the old wooden building at the swimming pool to...
  • Lodi Lake Improvements for Recreation - Lodi CA
    The WPA added 12 acres of parkland to the existing park at Lodi Lake, and a bridge built to link the two parcels of land. Also with the help of WPA funds and 26 men over 20 months, the city constructed dressing rooms, an office building, grading and oil surfacing of the park roads, a parking lot, the installation of riprap, dredging, painting of boats and benches and tables.
  • Log Cabins - Mohawk State Forest MA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built cabins at Mohawk Trail State Forest and Savoy State Forest, MA, circa 1934. The architect of record was L. C. Roy.
  • Logan Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    The Works Progress Administration, and the Civil Works Administration (WPA) funded improvements at the Logan Playground in Washington DC. The work consisted of the following improvements: WPA, 1935-1936, “grading 1,000 cubic yards.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1936) WPA, 1936-1937, “Completed grading, fencing 400 linear feet; one gate.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1937) WPA, 1937-1938, “Installation of equipment.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1938)
1 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 105