1 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 103
  • Kofa National Wildlife Refuge, Kofa Cabin and Water Tanks - Yuma AZ
    The Kofa Refuge is named for the King of Arizona mine. It includes 666,641 acres of protected land. Kofa Refuge literature notes that the Kofa Cabin and upland water tanks for wildlife were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). In 1939, a CCC side camp was set up at the Kofa Refuge. CCC enrollees, most of them of Native American descent, worked to develop high mountain waterholes for the bighorn sheep. This work was part of a statewide conservation effort to save the bighorn sheep. The refuge is managed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and is currently used for camping and hunting.
  • Koke'e State Park CCC Camp - Waimea, Kauai HI
    "Civilian Conservation Corps Camp in Koke'e State Park is located at Hawaii Route 550, in Waimea, on the island of Kauai, in the U.S. state of Hawaii. It was built in 1935 with lumber that was put into the saltwater and floated to the shore at Port Allen, the seawater adding a natural termite protection to the lumber. The camp was in continual use for forest management, until Hurricane Iwa devastated it in 1982. In the 1990s it was restored through the efforts of the non-profit Hui O Laka environmental group, and is currently open to the public. It was...
  • Kolbert Park - Brooklyn NY
    NYC Parks describes the origins of this small park: "In August 1936, the City of New York acquired this property by condemnation for the sum of $87,938.40. That year, Parks assumed jurisdiction over the property, removing sections of both Ocean and Locust Avenues that traversed the property in order to create a full park area. In June 1937, the playground officially opened to the public." The press release announcing the opening stated that "the new playground has swings, see-saws, slides, sand tables, playhouses, handball, horseshoe pitching and shuffleboard courts. There is also a wading pool, a softball diamond and an oval...
  • Kolmar Park - Chicago IL
    "In 1934, the Great Depression necessitated the consolidation of the city's 22 independent park agencies into the Chicago Park District. Using federal relief funds, the newly-created park district soon began work to complete Kolmar Park. The park district improved the site with a playground and a playing field that was flooded for ice skating in the winter."
  • Kooser State Park - Somerset PA
    Kooser State Park in Western Pennsylvania is surrounded by the Forbes State Forest. "The park’s original design character was stamped by the Civilian Conservation Corps projects of the 1930s that established the existing lake and most of its use areas, its architecture and site details."   (https://www.dcnr.state.pa.us) "The CCC established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt during the Great Depression built a camp on the western edge of Kooser State Park. The young men of the CCC built the dam on Kooser Run creating Kooser Lake. They also built roads, outdoor fireplaces and cabins. Much of their work can still be seen today...
  • Kosciuszko Parks Pool and Bathhouse - Milwaukee WI
    "One of the later WPA projects was the construction of the Kosciuszko pool and bathhouse. As one of the parks transferred from the city in 1937, the county set out to update the facilities. Plans for the project were complete in 1939 and approval for funding by the federal government soon followed. Construction for the pool began in 1941. The bathhouse was not completed until 1943."
  • Krassel Ranger Station - Yellowpine ID
    The CCC built several buildings for the Krassel Ranger District in 1937 and 1938.
  • Kyle Canyon Development - Mount Charleston NV
    “The Forest Service’s CCC program blazed new roads and trails into prospective campgrounds, existing mines, or susceptible fore zones. The Forest Service with its ample staff of engineers and natural resource specialists provided technical expertise for CCC projects. Similarly, the technical staff assisted the Soil Conservation Service by supervising construction activities on southern Nevada flood-control projects in the lower Moapa Valley, Panaca, and Caliente. Similarities in construction and design in different forests are no coincidence. Most early ranger stations, roads, and campgrounds were built according to standard regional plans prepared by architectural engineer George Nichols in Utah. After 1938, a manual...
  • La Palma Park - Anaheim CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided $195,000 in funding to pay relief workers to develop La Palma Park in Anaheim, CA. Workers planted palm trees, built a playground, and built the baseball field, which is now known as Dee Fee Stadium, all remain intact. But the pond pictured in the historic photo has been filled in and replaced with a parking lot.
  • La Purísima Mission State Historic Park: Mission Reconstruction - Lompoc CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carried out a complete restoration of the  Mission La Purisima in Lompoc CA, 1934-41.  It was an astonishing achievement, given the ruined state of the Mission and scarce historic sources to guide the work. The CCC agree to do the restoration if land could be secured to turn the site into a State Historical Park.  Donations of land by the Catholic Church and Union Oil Company did the trick, and the CCC went to work. From 1934 to 1941 CCC crews uncovered, restored and rebuilt 13 separate structures at the Mission.  The State Historical Park was...
  • La Purisima Mission State Historic Park: Painting and Sculpture - Lompoc CA
    As part of the New Deal reconstruction of Mission La Purisima, the Federal Arts Project (FAP) of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was asked to send in professional painters to finish the interior of the buildings. In 1938, FAP artists were employed in painting the pulpit and railing in the chapel of the padres' residence building, under the supervision of Douglas Parshall of Santa Barbara (Savage, p. 151).  in 1940, artist Harry Hemle got the job of decorating the interior of the completed church.  Hemle painted the walls, alter decorations and pulpit, with the assistance of two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees...
  • La Purisima Mission State Historic Park: Seegert Fountain - Lompoc CA
    As part of the New Deal reconstruction of Mission La Purisima, Helen Seegert created a concrete fountain at the east end of the complex in 1936.  It was paid for by the Federal Arts Project (FAP) of the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
  • La Salle Park - Buffalo NY
    La Salle Park, along the shore of Lake Erie in Buffalo, New York, was originally known as Centennial Park. The WPA helped to develop the site, in conjunction with the completion of the Clearwater Reservoir, ca. 1936.
  • La Tourette Golf Course - Staten Island NY
    On May 7, 1936, the Department of Parks announced the opening of the newly constructed second nine and the reconstructed first nine at La Tourette Golf Course in Staten Island, which had been “thoroughly reconstructed with new tees and greens throughout…with relief funds provided by the C.W.A., T.E.R.A. and W.P.A.” The course is still in use.
  • LaBolt Lake Bathouse - LaBolt SD
    This bathhouse was built by the WPA in the 1939. It still stands today along the shore of LaBolt Lake, in Grant County, South Dakota. Much of it is in disrepair but it still stands as a nice tourist attraction. It is still used as a very rustic changing facility. The changing rooms have no roof and no door so discretion is a valor when using the facility.
  • Lacey-Keosauqua State Park Development - Keosauqua IA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed stone buildings and bridges and planted thousands of trees.
  • Lafayette Field - Shelton CT
    Friday, February 16 - "About 100 CWA men are working on Lafayette Field. The football field will have a cinder track around it, and a baseball diamond will also be laid out. The fields will be surrounded by at least 1500' of fencing." Lafayette Field is located behind the old Lafayette High School.
  • Lafayette Park Renovation - Washington DC
    Lafayette Park, also known as Lafayette Square, is a seven-acre public park directly north of the White House on H Street, bounded by Jackson Place on the west, Madison Place on the east, and Pennsylvania Avenue. The park was established in the 19th century and remained largely unchanged from 1872 until the 1930s. New Deal work on the park as part of a larger Capital Parks improvement program undertaken by the Public Works Administration (PWA), Civil Work Adminstration (CWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), all working under the supervision of the National Park Service, which had been...
  • Lafayette Square - San Francisco CA
    "Graded and layed 4" rock base for 19,000 square feet of paths, reconstructed 42,000 square feet of existing paths, paved with asphalt, 61,000 square feet, demolished water tower and frame house, built 91 cubic yards of concrete steps and wall, two tennis courts and completed water system, regraded existing playfield. This work modernized an old park in a high class residential section.--Healy, p. 57.
  • Laguna Ball Park (demolished) - Santa Barbara CA
    "During the dark days of the Depression, Santa Barbara gained more than its share from the Federal program known as the Works Progress Administration...Another local WPA gem, the grandstands, fences and outbuildings that graced the grand old Laguna Park baseball stadium was, in 1970 unceremoniously plowed under to make way for a parking lot for the city’s fleet of buses and administration buildings. ...Designed by the acclaimed local architect Winsor Soule, it was a full-sized stadium built in a small-sized city in 1938. Bigger than Ebbets Field or Wrigley Field, Laguna Park was a place where minor league teams associated with...
  • Lake - Gitano MS
    A chain of lakes for the hill counties of Mississippi was proposed in 1936 by Si Corley, director of conservation of the State Game and Fish commission. Funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in concert with the sponsorship of the Game and Fish commission began the construction of a series of lakes adjacent to cities in the hill counties including a small artificial lake near Gitano. Exact location is unknown.
  • Lake - Pelahatchie MS
    A chain of lakes for the hill counties of Mississippi was proposed in 1936 by Si Corley, director of conservation of the State Game and Fish commission. Funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in concert with the sponsorship of the Game and Fish commission began the construction of a series of lakes adjacent to a number of hill county cities including at Pelahatchie. Corley pointed out that in addition to providing sites for outdoor sports, when fully stocked, the lakes could produce 2,000 pounds of fish per acre each year. In addition, they would be migratory bird sanctuaries. The...
  • Lake - Raymond MS
    A chain of lakes for the hill counties of Mississippi was proposed in 1936 by Si Corley, director of conservation of the State Game and Fish commission. Funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in concert with the sponsorship of the Game and Fish commission began the construction of a series of lakes adjacent to several hill county cities including Raymond. WPA workers constructed the lake about one mile from Raymond. Corley pointed out that in addition to providing sites for outdoor sports, when fully stocked, the lakes could produce 2,000 pounds of fish per acre each year. In addition,...
  • Lake Afton - Afton KS
    "Lake Afton is a 258-acre (104 ha) man-made recreational lake located about 25 miles (40 km) southwest of Wichita, Kansas, U.S.A. It is within the 720-acre (2.9 km2) Lake Afton Park, on land once inhabited by the Kiowa, Comanche, Wichita (tribe), Osage, and Southern Cheyenne Indian tribes. The lake was created by Works Progress Administration workers in 1939–1942."
  • Lake Alexander Shelter Cabin - Admiralty Island AK
    "The Alexander Lake Shelter Cabin is a three-sided Adirondack style shelter built by the Civilian Conservation Corps on the Admiralty Island Canoe Route in 1935. The natural environment surrounding the cabin is unchanged from the 1930s. Since its construction, the shelter cabin has been maintained with materials similar to the original." "The cabin has a peeled log superstructure and shake walls and roof. The structure is well-maintained, and its current appearance matches its original appearance. The sill logs on the two short sides have been replaced and are beginning to rot again; the back sill log has been replaced and is in...
  • Lake Ashburton Pumping Station and Improvements - Baltimore MD
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) developed the park at Lake Ashburton, constructing a fence and walkway around said. Maryland WPA Project #13. The Public Works Administration also built the lake's pumping station for the Baltimore water system.
  • Lake Atalanta Park - Rogers AR
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the Atalanta Lake Park in 1937. Located in Rogers AR, the park and lake development secured recreational opportunities for area residents for years to come. The Fort Smith office of the WPA notified the town officials in Rogers that funds for the project were approved in 1936. Its total cost was estimated at $53,667 and sought to improve approximately one hundred acres. The original project “contained a restaurant, swimming pool, ice skating rink, boat rentals, a tennis course, miniature golf and more. It was not only a city park, but a destination for tourists.” Due to...
  • Lake Bogue Homa - Laurel MS
    Mississippi State Game and Fish Commission sponsored the Works Progress Administration to create a number of lakes for recreation purposes. Near Laurel, Lake Gates was approximately 1500 acres, fed by the Boguehoma Creek. The project began in 1936, and was completed in 1939. At some point by 1947, the name had been changed to Lake Bogue Homa. The lake remains an active fishing location and has been improved over the years.
  • Lake Bronson State Park - Lake Bronson MN
    The park contains 12 rustic style park structures built in the 1930s, “including a unique observation/water tower and a dam engineered over quicksand."   (Wikipedia)
  • Lake Brownwood State Park Improvements - Brownwood TX
    Pecan Bayou flooded the city of Brownwood in late September of 1900 causing considerable damage to the business district and washing away the train track that served the city. The citizens of Brown County looked for a way to control Pecan Bayou. They voted in 1926 to create the Brown County Water Improvement District. The water district acquired seven tracts of land for the purpose of building a dam on Pecan Bayou. The water district completed the dam in 1932 just before another flood swept down the Bayou quickly filling the reservoir. The Texas State Parks Board acquired 538 acres of...
  • Lake Carasaljo Boat House - Lakewood NJ
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a boat house along Lake Carasaljo in Lakewood, New Jersey in 1936. The structure was constructed "from wood and stone salvaged from the surrounding countryside." The exact location of the house and its current status are unknown to Living New Deal. WPA Project No. 5-15-11.
  • Lake Carlos State Park Bathhouse - Carlos MN
    The Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed this bath house in 1941-1942. Located at Lake Carlos, the facility includes a concession area, restrooms, and storage. The structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, along with other 4 structures, in 1987. A 1992 National Register of Historic Places Registration Form describes the formal characteristics of the Bath House: “The Bath House is a standard design utilized in many state parks with overall dimensions of 82'2" x 22'6". It consists of a split stone gable roofed central section containing a concession, restrooms, and storage areas flanked on either side by loggias which allow circulation through the building....
  • Lake Carlsbad Beach Park - Carlsbad NM
    Quoting from a supplement issued 30 years prior, the Carlsbad Current-Argus stated in 1970: "Through the assistance of WPA the city has just completed a $50,000 improvement program at Municipal Beach park. This includes a beautiful bath house of natural rock design and complete landscaping of the park area with walks, trees and grass." The park, which was constructed during the late 1930s by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), lines a reservoir along the dammed Pecos River. Its riverwalk currently extends for miles along either side of the lake. The original "beach park" was located along the western side of the...
  • Lake Chabot Golf Course: Clubhouse - Oakland CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the club house at the Lake Chabot Municipal Golf Course in 1939-40, in conjunction with the City of Oakland Parks Department. The Mission Revival style building is still intact, including most of the interior.  It has a lovely main hall with a bar and behind that, the Chabot Cafe.  The entrance hall has a closed-off fireplace and original tile work.  In front, there is a Mission-style breezeway with tiled floor. Decorative stone walls line the road, both entry paths, and the practice putting green next to the clubhouse. In 1939, the WPA was brought under the umbrella...
  • Lake Chabot Golf Course: Improvements - Oakland CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved and enlarged every hole at the Lake Chabot Municipal Golf Course, in conjunction with the City of Oakland Parks Department.  The WPA workers also construction a two level parking area with stone walls. It is an 18-hole course that serves a diverse population from Oakland, including many African American and Asian American golfers.  A 36-hole disk (frisbee) course has been added in recent years. One claim to fame for the course is that it served the young Tony Lema, an Oakland native, who was taught by the course pros and elder statesmen.
  • Lake Cisco-Area Park Improvements - Cisco TX
    Among the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects identified as completed in a Abilene Daily Reporter article from June 14, 1936 was "park Improvements" in Cisco, Texas. "Lake Improvements consisted of clearing the creek channel below the dam and swimming pool, lining the channel with rock, terracing banks of the creek, and building walks, drives, and a small bridge. Twenty-five men were employed for six months. Total expenditure was $5,000." Living New Deal believes this to be a reference to Lake Cisco.
  • Lake Claremore Boathouse - Claremore OK
    This WPA boathouse was built in 1938, and is still standing: "This boathouse is a two-story, rectangular (34' x 68') structure constructed of cut, course, and rusticated native stone. It has a parapet roof... The lower level where boats dock, contains a small room that Claremore policemen once used as a jail. The roof is now made of tin and the doorway has a partial insert of wood attached, but these alterations do not impeach the integrity of the building. This structure is now designated for boat storage."   (Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination) Additional contributor note: "Lake Claremore is located on the northeast side...
  • Lake Cliff Park Improvements - Dallas TX
    The site, originally developed in 1906 as an amusement park, was acquired by the City of Dallas in 1914. The park encompasses 44 acres and a large lake. Works Progress Administration (WPA) sponsored improvements included construction of a stone picnic shelter in 1938, roque court, retaining wall, paving, picnic units, a bridge, and extensive landscaping. Perhaps the most visible WPA features are the rose garden and pavilions, constructed 1940-1943. The pavilions and shelter were restored in 2009.
  • Lake Corpus Christi State Park - Mathis TX
    Lake Corpus Christi State Park is situated along Lake Corpus Christi southwest of Mathis, Texas. The land was leased from the City of Corpus Christi in 1934 and the 356-acre park was opened the same year. The park is currently administered by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Lake Corpus Christi State Park was developed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 886. In 1934, the company formed Camp Kleberg, named for local Congressman Richard Mifflin Kleberg, a supporter of early New Deal programs including the CCC. The enrollees worked at Lake Corpus Christi until their transfer to Palmetto State Park in...
  • Lake Fort Phantom Hill Dam - Abilene TX
    New Deal funds aided in the construction a dam north of Abilene on Elm Creek, resulting in the creation of Lake Fort Phantom Hill. The lake continues to be "the city’s main water source." Sources do not indicate exactly which New Deal program(s) provided the funding and/or labor for this project.
1 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 103