Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers completed the custodian’s cottage in 1936. The building is classified as parks rustic. Today the custodian’s cottage is the property manger’s residence.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed fire towers on steel frameworks to help protect the new plantings and existing forests. The fire tower at O’Bannon State Park was completed in 1937 by CCC laborers. The steel tower replaced a temporary,… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers constructed a service building in 1935. The building is a series of connected sheds extended in a L shape. Today the service building is used as the park’s office.
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers completed the shelter house in 1935. The structure is classified as parks rustic.
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers completed the shelter house that overlooks the Ohio River. The shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The campsite is marked primarily by low stone walls and scattered foundations. The camp was occupied in December of 1934 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 517, which was comprised of young African-American boys. Upon completion of their work, the… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a field house at O’Rourke Field in Quincy, Mass. Quincy’s Historical and Architectural Survey writes: “Other [WPA] projects elsewhere in the City included … the field house at O’Rourke Playground …” The building… read more
WPA project description: “Improvement of the grounds surrounding this Martha’s Vineyard community’s new school provides a proper setting for the new structure completed recently by WPA workmen. After carefully grading a little more than an acre around the school WPA… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Oakes Field House (former Recreation Building) in South Charleston in 1939. The Recreation Building, as it was called in 1939, is a two-story brick building with gable and seven bays facing 3rd… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) constructed a gymnasium at the old high school for the Oakhurst school district in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (now within the city limits of Charlotte). The structure, whose exact location is unknown to Living… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements to the Oakland city zoo in 1935-36 when it was located in Sequoia Park (now Joaquin Miller Park). In 1939, the zoo relocated to its present site in Durant Park in the East… read more
Numerous New Deal agencies had a tremendous impact on the development of Ocmulgee National Monument, the site of pre-Columbian southeastern settlement dating back millennia. “The largest dig ever conducted in this country occurred here at Ocmulgee and the surrounding area…. read more
The CCC worked to restore Earthlodge at Ocmulgee National Monument. NPS.gov: “At the Earthlodge, enrollees puddled clay in large pits, mixed in straw, and then applied the mixture to the inner concrete wall to simulate the Indian architecture. The public… read more
The striking Art Moderne visitor center at Ocmulgee National Monument has New Deal roots, featuring involvement by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The National Park Service (NPS) website has this to say about the… read more
oglebayfoundation.org, 2012: “Several dozen Works Progress Administration (WPA) workmen began construction on the Oglebay pool in late 1936, using a federal grant of $68,000, supplemented by a loan from the Sarita Oglebay Russel trust (with the loan to be paid… read more
The Okefenokee Swamp had long been a site of habitation in southern Georgia. According to the New Georgia Encyclopedia, “An all-black unit of the Civilian Conservation Corps was transferred to the refuge, and between 1937 and 1941 they developed facilities… read more
The Shelter House/Chapel was constructed with native limestone in 1937 as part of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) project and renovated in 1984. The one-story, asymmetrical Mission-style chapel now houses the cemetery office. Oriented west, the building features an L-shaped… read more