The federal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop southeast Oregon’s Malheur National Wildlife Refuge during the 1930s. “The Refuge was expanded on February 21st, 1935 to incorporate the 164,503 acre Blitzen Valley. The Blitzen Valley was purchased using funds… read more
In 1935, the Works Progress Administration built a club house and tennis court, along with picnic structures. The club house survives in near original condition. The tennis court picnic structures have been updated over the years.
Mammoth Cave National Park in central Kentucky encompasses portions of Mammoth Cave, the longest cave system known in the world. The National Park Service website describes CCC work on the park: “…the Civilian Conservation Corps arrived on the scene to… read more
The Manitou Experimental Forest (MEF) is part of the USDA Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station, located in Pike National Forest. “Built between 1937 and 1939, this collection of six architecturally significant sandstone buildings represents some of the finest Depression-era… read more
The former 17,000-seat Manning Bowl was constructed by the federal Works Progress Administration between 1936 and 1938. The facility was demolished in 2004. WPA Bulletin, 1937: “At 10 o’clock Thanksgiving Day morning football teams of the Lynn Classical and Lynn… read more
This large stone building was completed by the WPA in 1938 along with a swimming pool. The pool has since been replaced by a modern pool, but the large bathhouse and attached buildings have been repurposed as the Maplewood Public… read more
“The first park land was purchased in 1921. However, the majority of the park facilities were not constructed until the 1930’s by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Both programs resulted from the federal government… read more
CCC crews built Marcoot Fire Lookout tower in what would become Mark Twain National Forest in 1936. The tower is on Route 72 and consists of the tower and outbuildings, some of which appear to be from the original project. … read more
An August 1935 Parks Department press release lists Mariners Harbor Playground as one of seventy-three play areas developed in the preceding year with “city, state and federal relief funds.” The release describes this park as having play areas designed for… read more
The National Youth Administration built the Marion County Roadside Park near Jefferson, Texas between 1935 and 1938. The park serves the same function as of 2019. A state historical marker at the site reads: “This roadside park was constructed by… read more
In 1935, the Public Works Administration (PWA) funded renovations for Marion Park, southeast of the Capitol, such as sidewalk repair, landscaping, and so forth. Marion Park was first established in 1886, but like other parks in the district had suffered… read more
“Authorized by the California State Legislature in May 1939, the 35-A District Agricultural Association held its first annual county fair in Mariposa October 1939.” A couple of years later the Work Projects Administration made major improvements. “WPA Project No. 165-1-08-292,… read more
"Psychological Color Chart; Dr. Oswald's Color Solid" (1940), oil on canvas, is in the west wing.
Beniamino Bufano created two sculptures for the Maritime Museum in 1942 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. “Seal” is a red granite sculpture, and “Animal” a black one.
Sargent Johnson created this two part project “Sea Forms” for the WPA “comprised of a 30 feet long, 14 feet high greenish-gray slate facade titled, Sea Forms, that was placed over the main entrance to the Maritime Museum on Polk… read more
One of many county line historical markers placed in West Virginia. Each side denotes the county that is being entered. The West Virginia historical marker program began in 1934 with the beginning research for the markers with the intention of… read more
WPA Bulletin, 1937: “Picnic Cave Unusual Feature of Playground Lunenburg — An underground cave equipped with a fireplace and picnic facilities for 40 persons is the outstanding feature of Lunenburg’s WPA-built recreation centre at Marshall Field. The grounds also boasts… read more
‘… the land acquisition and most of the construction costs were covered by a local bond issue of $125,000… Research done when the park was declared a city landmark in the late 1990’s indicated that at least two small wall-mounted… read more
The New York Times reported in 1941 that, as part of WPA efforts, Brooklyn would receive six new playgrounds, located at: “Third Avenue and Thirty-fourth Street, Second Avenue and Fifty-fifth Street, Fort Hamilton Parkway and Fifty-second Street, Albany and Foster… read more
The 1934 Dept. of Conservation Annual Report indicated that the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completed “1 lookout tower.” The CCC constructed fire towers on steel frameworks to help protect the new plantings and existing forests. The fire tower at Martin… read more