1 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 105
  • Landry Memorial Stadium - Amesbury MA
    In the first half of the 20th century, the Amesbury High School was located on Main Street in the town of Amesbury, MA. In 1938 the school was selected for the construction of an athletic stadium by the Works Progress Administration. The original high school burned down in 1964 and was rebuilt on Highland St. Now the property on Main Street is home to the Amesbury Middle School. The stadium was constructed with an odd and peculiar design that can best be described as a bowl structure built into the side of a small hill. On two opposing sides there are...
  • Landscaping (Bronx Blvd. and Duncomb Ave.) - Bronx NY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted landscaping work at a "triangular plot at the intersection of Bronx Blvd. and Duncomb Ave." The New York Times reported on an adorable story that occurred during the project, involving the hatching of six baby birds from eggs in a nest "no larger than fist."
  • Landscaping, Montana Tech University - Butte MT
    Montana's Big Timber Pioneer newspaper reported in 1938 that 40 WPA laborers were "doing a $40,000 job of tree painting, landscaping, road oiling, leveling and general beautification" at what was then known as the Montana School of Mines, now Montana Tech of the University of Montana. Most evidence of such renovations is long gone, but one rock wall we observed looks suspiciously like WPA work. WPA employment was vital to the welfare of unemployed miners around Butte, Montana during the Great Depression.
  • Lane Field Baseball Stadium (Former) - San Diego CA
    "Lane Field is a former baseball stadium located in San Diego, California. The ballpark was home to the San Diego Padres of the Pacific Coast League from 1936 through 1957. The ballpark was located in downtown San Diego, at the end of West Broadway near the waterfront. Broadway bounded the park to the south (first base). Its other two close bounding streets were Harbor Drive (third base) and Pacific Highway (right field). There were various buildings to the north (left field) between the ballpark and Ash Street. Before it was called Lane Field, the stadium began its life as a U.S. Navy...
  • Lane Park Development - Birmingham AL
    Birmingham's Lane Park was the site of substantial work relief efforts on the part of multiple New Deal agencies: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Historical marker: "The land was also used for the Allen Gray Fish Hatchery (fed by Pullen Springs), a stone quarry, a complete baseball diamond, and a golf driving range. Several of the stone structures were erected by the WPA. Two hundred acres are now the home of the Birmingham Zoo (est. 1954) and the Birmingham Botanical Gardens (est. 1962)." A CWA/Alabama Relief Administration project was soon after launched to fully develop the...
  • Langdon Park Improvements - Washington DC
     During the 1930s, Langdon Park was upgraded as part of a larger Capital Parks improvement program undertaken by the Public Works Administration (PWA), Civil Work Adminstration (CWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). A Washington Daily News article from 1936 described New Deal work in the park: "Wading pool built; new walks, picnic groves and parking area completed." In this case, the improvements were most likely done by the WPA, which was at work on a million-dollar program of parks renovation in 1935-36.  Langdon Park today contains a swimming pool and pool building, basketball courts, tennis courts and as...
  • Langston Playground Improvements - Washington DC
    In 1942, the Washington Post reported the approval of $16,500 in funding for the Federal Works Agency (FWA) to build and/or make improvements to the Langston Recreation Center (now the Langston Playground) in Anacostia Park, next to the Langston Golf Course. It is known if the present football field, basketball courts and other improvements at the site are left from the New Deal era.
  • Lassen Volcanic National Park - Mineral CA
    According to a National Register of Historic Places form for Lassen National Park, “In 1933, with the establishment of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), trail construction, campground development and road maintenance benefited from hundreds of laborers, who accelerated the pace of park infrastructure development….CCC workers provided most of the labor on spring clean up and road maintenance projects, including gutter line cleaning and slope stabilization. They built facilities at the park's developed campgrounds, as well as many of the park's 150 miles of hiking trails.” The CCC also removed dead timber (for fire prevention), developed scenic parking areas, made trail signs,...
  • Laurel Athletic Field - Laurel NE
    In July 1935, the Laurel School Board sponsored a proposal for a new athletic field adjacent to the school grounds. The land had been used as a school “park”, but since the school had no athletic field to speak of, the Board proposed to procure 6,000 cubic yards of dirt from the nearby borrow pit of the State Highway Department and level the yard. Thirty men were given employment as a result of this Works Progress Administration (WPA) project.
  • Laurel Cove Amphitheater - Pineville KY
    "Another distinctive and ambitious project was at Pine Mountain, the site of the annual Mountain Laurel Festival. CCC corpsmen excavated an amphitheater from the hillside and constructed new seats and facilities for the thousands of visitors who made the annual spring pilgrimage to see the governor crown a new queen. More than $500,000 of CCC money went into this park alone." "The Laurel Cove Amphitheater is part of Pine Mountain State Resort Park. This incredible venue has been the home of the Mountain Laurel Coronation for 90 years, the world famous Book of Job drama, spectacular weddings, and the Laurel Cove...
  • Laurel Hill State Park - Somerset PA
    "Beginning in 1935, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration began purchasing sub-marginal agricultural and forest land so that it could be converted to better use. In 1936, the National Park Service was given the responsibility of the Recreational Demonstration Areas. Laurel Hill was one of five areas in Pennsylvania and targeted for restoration and reforestation, and organized group camping and day picnicking. Beginning in 1935, with cooperation of the Pennsylvania Department of Forests and Waters, men of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) began building roads, trails, bridges and recreational facilities. Two CCC camps, SP-8 and SP-15 arrived...
  • Laurelhurst Park (maintenance) - Portland OR
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) became the New Deal's primary work relief program for the general population in 1935. WPA funds supported a number of projects in City of Portland parks. In the case of Laurelhurst Park, WPA funds provided wages for unemployed men to work on park maintenance.
  • Laurelhurst Playfield Field House - Seattle WA
    During the late 1930s, with funds from various New Deal programs, the Seattle Park Department made significant improvements to Laurelhurst Playfield. The largest of these improvement projects was the construction of a field house near the southern end of the playfield. Workers with the CWA began constructing the field house in January 1934. Work had not yet been completed when the federal government shut down the CWA program at the end of March 1934. The remaining work on the structure was completed in 1935 with assistance from the Washington (State) Emergency Relief Administration. Designed by Seattle architect Lloyd J. Lovegren,...
  • Laurelhurst Playfield Improvements - Seattle WA
    The Seattle Park Department acquired the site for Laurelhurst Playfield along NE 41st Street between 45th Avenue NE and 48th Avenue NE in 1927. Although a few improvements to the site were completed between 1929 and 1932, a series of New Deal projects between 1933 and 1941 allowed the Park Department to move forward with additional upgrades despite the hardships of the Great Depression. Laurelhurst Playfield was one of a limited number of Seattle park facilities to receive funding under the New Deal's Civil Works Administration program. During the winter of 1933-1934, CWA laborers began construction on a brick field house...
  • Laurelton Playground - Queens NY
    The NYC Parks website explains that: "In May 1934, after closing P.S. 38, the Board of Education transferred the property to Parks. Parks opened Laurelton Playground on August 23, 1935 in service of the local community. Parks acquired two small parcels that were added to this playground during 1936." A Parks press release announcing the opening explained that it was then "developed as a small children's play area." As researcher Frank da Cruz explains here, almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were accomplished with New Deal funds and/or labor. Given the date of this project,...
  • Lava Beds National Monument - Tulelake CA
    The CCC at Lava Beds built roads, laid the first power and telephone lines, and built a superintendents residence and headquarters building at Indian Well, which is now a Visitor Center. They built a campground (which is now the "A" loop at the park), the picnic tables at Fleener Chimneys, and built dozens of trails through the lava tube caves. Without using any heavy equipment, they were able to move over ten million cubic yards of earth and debris, largely by hand, from the caves near the Visitor Center and install ladders and stairways there.   The following is an excerpt from...
  • Lava Beds National Monument: Petroglyph Point - Tulelake CA
    The following is an excerpt from an interview with Abe Boehm, a CCC enrollee (Company 3740) stationed at Camp Clear Lake in northeastern California between February and June of 1937: "The CCC boys from Clear Lake fenced off the Petroglyphs. The reason they needed a fence was that the tourists would chip the rocks off for souvenirs . When we first went there, 90% of the Petroglyphs were still intact, but every day you’d see a few fresh chips missing. So out crew’s job was to build the fence and a tower that the game wardens and sheriffs could use for...
  • Lawn Avenue Athletic Fields - Jamestown RI
    "Early projects proposed by the town and paid for by the WPA included ... new athletic fields on Lawn Avenue ..."
  • Lawrence Street Park Bowl - Zeeland MI
    This outdoor amphitheater was built into a hillside of a city park so the sounds from summer concerts and other events could easily project up through the audience. This popular gathering spot was renovated in 2009, with $220,000 covering improvements to the structure itself, as well as new barrier-free concrete ramps, new landscaping and new sound and lighting equipment. According to Michigan Live, "Set at the bottom of a wooded hill, just west of the downtown area, the bowl was built as part of a federal Works Progress Administration project at Lawrence Park in the mid-1930s."  
  • Lawrence Triangle Improvements - Flushing NY
    The New York City Parks Department website details the history of Lawrence Triangle, a 0.14-acre park in Flushing, New York. "In July , the Flushing Garden Club presented the land to the Flushing Hospital to be used by hospital patients as an outdoor retreat during their stay. The hospital then granted the park to the City of New York in July 1939. The WPA (Works Progress Administration) worked to improve the park for general use by planting trees, grass and flowers, paving the paths, and removing an old gate. A local law named the park in honor of Lawrence in 1951."
  • Lawrence Virgilio Playground - Woodside NY
    On July 28, 1937, the Department of Parks announced the opening of "five playgrounds, constructed by the Department of Parks with relief labor and funds," noting that "These playgrounds are five of the twenty-four sites in neglected areas selected by the Commissioner of Parks and acquired by condemnation after authorization by the Board of Estimate and Apportionment on July 15, 1936." One of these five playgrounds was what is now known as the Lawrence Virgilio Playground in Windmuller Park. Today's NYC Parks website confirms that "The land comprising Windmuller Park was acquired from the Windmuller family in 1936 and the park...
  • Lawrence-Dumont Stadium (demolished) - Wichita KS
    Lawrence-Dumont Stadium, originally Lawrence Stadium, was a baseball stadium built by the Civil Works Administration (CWA) in 1934. Home to minor league baseball and National Baseball Congress tournament for many years. It was demolished in 2018 to make room for Riverfront Park.
  • Ledges State Park - Worth Township IA
    "Park facilities constructed of native timber and field stone by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930's are still standing today. These examples of fine craftsmanship include an arch stone bridge, shelter in Oak Woods, stone trail steps and the stone shelter in lower Ledges."
  • Lee Park - Cordell OK
    The Works Progress Administration built the Lee Park in Cordell OK. Contributor note: "Lee Park lies between 2nd and 3rd Streets, and between Glenn L. England (Highway 183) and Cordell Avenue. An extension north of 3rd Street also contains basketball court and skate park, as well as some playground equipment and an old hut. This park was a WPA project in 1940 and contains numerous rock structures, such as two bridges, drinking fountains, fire pits, drainage ditches and walkway curbing, as well as a rock hut. Over the years, items have been added, such as volleyball court and a nice Kiwanis sponsored playground. The...
  • Lee State Natural Area - Bishopville SC
    "Lee State Natural Area is one of South Carolina's first state parks. It was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression of the 1930s as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal. Formerly Lee State Park, it is situated along the banks of the Lynches River. The park is open to visitors year round for activities like camping, hiking, nature walks, horseback riding and fishing. The park has a boardwalk into the wetlands to reach habitats that would otherwise be difficult to reach. Visitors can see white-tail deer, herons and egrets, warblers and reptiles and amphibians like...
  • Leeper Park Improvements - South Bend IN
    Federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor conducted improvement work in South Bend's Leeper Park during the 1930s. "In 1936, a retaining wall faced with scrap salvage concrete was constructed around the island and the channel of the slough was dredged. In 1938 a shelter house near the tennis courts was also built with WPA labor." The shelter house has since been removed.
  • Legion Field Improvements - Birmingham AL
    Then known as Municipal Stadium, Birmingham's Legion Field was improved by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA).
  • Legion Park Bandshell - Auburn NE
    The historic bandshell in Auburn, Nebraska's Legion Park was constructed as a Work Projects Administration (WPA) project starting in 1940. About 30' x 40' in size, the shell features a dark stone foundation and brick designed to mesh with other WPA-built improvements in the park. "The back of the stage is a scientifically designed concave surface, which will be covered in a material adapted for the best acoustics." The basement of the bandshell featured dressing rooms and a 22' x 23' recreation room. The estimated cost of the project was $6,500.
  • Legion Park Development - Auburn NE
    Auburn, Nebraska's Legion Park was dramatically improved as a result of Work Projects Administration (WPA) efforts. In addition to the park's bandshell, "uring the late 1930’s, the City received WPA funding to build the ... playground, picnic shelter, and the arched entrance."
  • Legion State Park - Louisville MS
    "Legion State Park, also known as Legion State Park Historic District, is located in the red hill country of Louisville, Mississippi, and area originally inhabited by the Choctaw Indian Nation. It is one of the original Mississippi state parks developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s and includes the Legion Lodge, a hand-hewn log structure that has remained unaltered since its construction. Activities at the park include fishing, boating, swimming, hiking and camping."
  • Legions Field - Bridgewater MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor constructed numerous facilities at Bridgewater's Legions Field. The facility was located at WPA Bulletin: WPA is completing construction of a Playground and Athletic Field, Bed- ford Street, Bridgewater. Work includes the building of a football field, a baseball diamond, two clay tennis courts, a wading pool and a locker building with showers and a road bordering one end of the property.
  • Lehigh Parkway - Allentown PA
    Lehigh Parkway is a large public park along the Little Lehigh River in Allentown. Along with much of the rest of Allentown's park system, Lehigh was developed largely by the WPA. "The stone wall in Lehigh Parkway may be the most recognizable relic. Under the WPA, the 700-foot-long wall was built to support the road that runs above it. At its highest point, two decorative turrets frame a staircase that allows people to reach the park from the road."   (https://articles.mcall.com) The WPA also built a boat landing and other structures in Lehigh Parkway.
  • Lehman Caves Access Tunnel - Great Basin National Park NV
    Lehman Caves National Monument was established in 1922 and put under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service in 1933. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) came to Lehman Caves National Monument and set up a side camp in 1934.  (The main camp was at Berry Creek, northeast of Ely) The CCC enrollees made improvements to the national monument, including the  water supply, trails, the first campground and parking at the visitor center.   The biggest CCC project was helping the National Park Service drill a new access tunnel into the Lehman Caves, the main attraction at the park.  The tunnel was done...
  • Lehman Caves National Monument Improvements - Great Basin National Park NV
    Lehman Caves National Monument was established in 1922 and put under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service in 1933. New Deal relief agencies came in to aid the Park Service in improving facilities at the park to make it more welcoming to the public. First to arrive was the Civil Works Administration (CWA) in the winter of 1933-34. Relief workers made repairs to the water line from Lehman Creek to the caves, the cave trail and the modest park buildings by the cave. In the summer of 1934, workers from the Transient Relief Camp at Lehman Creek did general clean-up...
  • Leif Ericson Park - Brooklyn NY
    Leif Ericson Park is a long, narrow park in the Bay Ridge neighborhood of Brooklyn, which "features a Norse theme in honor of Leif Ericson and the local Scandinavian-American community" (NYC Parks). By the turn of the 20th century, the neighborhood had a large Norwegian population, and in 1925 community leaders convinced City Hall to turn the five blocks from 4th Ave. to Fort Hamilton Parkway between 66th St. and 67th St. into a park. In the 1930s, the park was extensively developed by the New Deal. In October 1934, the Department of Parks announced the addition of two play areas...
  • Leiter Estate Landscaping - Washington DC
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built park amenities and landscaped portions of the Leiter Estate in 1936-1937. A National Parks Service/Historic American Buildings Survey report describes the nature of the work performed by the CCC: “Upon acquiring the Leiter estate, the NPS planned to turn the acreage ‘into a public recreation area...form a section of the George Washington Memorial Parkway.’ Enrollees from Camp NP-6-VA (Fort Hunt) engaged in ‘selective cutting to open up desirable vistas of the river.’ In addition to creating view sheds, they further enhanced visitor amenities with the construction of 2.5 miles of foot trails and fifteen table-and-bench combinations,...
  • Lenape Park Lake - Cranford NJ
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed an artificial lake in Lenape Park, in Cranford / Springfield Township, New Jersey, along the Rahway River Parkway, ca. 1936.
  • Leo J. Martin Memorial Golf Course Development - Weston MA
    Description of a project undertaken by the W.P.A. in 1937: "Riverside Public Golf Course; this golf course, in Weston, was greatly improved by the completion of work started in 1936. The major items of work were: the removal of a hill (3,500 cubic yards of gravel) and construction of a new tee and green at No. 16 hole; seventeen tees were enlarged by approximately 35 square yards each; dead trees at No. 12 and 15 fairways were removed and 75 young pines were set out; approximately 5,000 feet of irrigation pipe was installed." Riverside was renamed Leo J. Martin Memorial Golf Course.
  • Leominster State Forest - Westminster MA
    The CCC assisted in the development of this state forest.
  • Leominster State Forest: Crow Hill Pond - Westminster MA
    The Leominster State Forest area was purchased by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in 1922. The area was the site of many historic settlements and cellar holes from the 1800s. With the implementation of the New Deal, Leominster State Forest was selected for a number of improvements by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). In particular, Crow Hill Pond, a ten-acre pond located on state Route 31 on the western side of the forest, was the site of many projects. Crow Hill Pond was the work site of the 197th company of the CCC during the years 1936-1938. Captain Dixon led the 197th...
1 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 105