1 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 103
  • Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park - Kennesaw GA
    From the summer of 1938 to early 1942, Civilian Conservation Corps Camp NP-4 provided improvements to the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park. During its operation, the camp's enrollees cut trails and roads, implemented fire suppression measures, improved erosion control at the site, planted tress, and constructed the park's first headquarters building. The camp contained barracks, a recreation center and library, a mess hall, and several vocational education buildings. Though much of the physical campsite was disassembled and re-used for the war effort, the landscape constructed by the CCC is still extant.
  • Kent Falls State Park Development - Kent CT
    Among other work, such as "construction of a new road to access the upper portion of Kent Falls State Park," the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the picnic area and the trail that climbs alongside the falls at Kent Falls State Park.
  • Kenwood Park Drive Rock Wall - Salina KS
    In 1939, a rock wall was constructed along Kenwood Park Drive in Salina, Kansas by youths who were employed by the National Youth Administration (NYA). The NYA was a division of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) that focused on training, employing, and educating young people between the ages of 16 and 25. Chris Cotten, Parks and Recreation Director of the City of Salina, Kansas tells us that "n April 1939 the Salina Journal reported that 35 NYA youths, working part time and using rubble masonry, were hired to construct 'ten dead-end walls' on streets that terminated at the Smoky Hill River. Remnants of...
  • Kern County Fairgrounds (demolished) - Bakersfield CA
    The official birth of the Kern County Agricultural Fair was on August 5, 1916. It was located on 106 acres at Chester Avenue, two blocks north of 34th Street and just south of the Kern River Bridge. There were no buildings at that time so they used tents. The Kern County Museum and Clock Tower now stand in that location. Later during the Depression in the 1930's there was no Fair held for two years. Then in 1952 the Fair was moved from the North Chester location to the present grounds. " Kern County Fair WPA Project No. 65-3-4740, App. Date...
  • Kern Park Improvements - Milwaukee WI
    "Repairing and painting of buildings, including band shells, bathhouses, pavilions, bridges, residences, service buildings and playground buildings in the following parks...Kern Park."
  • Kerrville-Schreiner Park - Kerrville TX
    In 1934, the City of Kerrville donated 517 acres to the State Parks Board for development of a state park. Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1823CV arrived in January 1935 to begin construction on project SP-58. The company stayed until May 1937. CCC work at the park included building the park roads, culverts, and other park infrastructure. the caretaker's dwelling, garage, a storage facility with water storage tank and entrance portals. The park was originally called Kerrville State Park. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Commissioners changed the name to Kerrville-Schreiner State Park in 1990. On February 13, 2004, the park...
  • Kershaw-Ryan State Park Improvements - Lincoln County NV
    “Lincoln County was not far behind Clark County sites in terms of federal funds spent on park developments. The county received approval for a fair share of state-operated recreational facilities that’s to the collective efforts of the county commission, the Caliente Chamber of Commerce, state senator L.L. Burt, and Congressman Scrugham. Lincoln County was anxious to promote its little-known natural attractions, including the intense red spires and erosional features at Cathedral Gorge. After purchasing park properties with federal Public Works appropriations funds, Congressman Scrugham and Senator McCarran secured a CCC camp for Panaca to build new parks. A full company...
  • Kettle Pond Campground - Plainfield VT
    Kettle Pond Campground is a developed campsite within the 26,000 acre Groton State Forest "located on the shores of Kettle Pond, an undeveloped pond." (www.vtstateparks.com) A Vermont State Park document on CCC sites in Groton State Forest lists: "Six remote lean-tos dot the hiking trail around Kettle Pond. Three are still in use, and five stone fireplaces are still in existence. Site #11 is one of the few remaining vertical log leantos built by the CCCs."   (www.vtstateparks.com)
  • Keweenaw Mountain Lodge and Golf Course Complex - Copper Harbor MI
    "The Keweenaw Mountain Lodge and Golf Course Complex is a resort located near Copper Harbor, Michigan. It was designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1976 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, and is open to the public... During the early 1930s, the Great Depression hit Keweenaw County hard. The mining industry had fallen on hard times, and unemployment stood at over seventy percent. Ocha Potter, the head of the Keweenaw Road Commission and superintendent of Ahmeek Mine, conceived of constructing a resort complex in the county. In 1933, he applied to the Federal government for...
  • Key West Aquarium - Key West FL
    The CWA built the famous Key West Aquarium in 1934, amid a flurry of relief work by the FERA and the WPA on the island.
  • Keyworth Stadium - Hamtramck MI
    Keyworth Stadium was opened in 1936 and was dedicated by FDR himself. After many years of use by Hamtramck High School, in 2016 the newly-formed Detroit City Football Club secured funding to renovate the stadium for soccer matches. From the Detroit News: "Roosevelt, a few weeks shy of his landslide re-election, was on his way to a ribbon-cutting ceremony to dedicate the new Keyworth Stadium. It was one of the first Work Projects Administration projects in Michigan, a promise in the midst of the Great Depression of better days ahead, and FDR was here to trumpet its arrival, telling the crowd...
  • Kezar Pavillion and Stadium - San Francisco CA
    Erected a one story reinforced concrete addition to present training quarters and reconstructed old wooden seats to concrete framing. This work of increased the facilities for football and basket ball games. With a seating capacity of 60,000 it is well patronized for conventions and intercollegiate games.--Healy, p. 57.
  • Kiest Park - Dallas TX
    In 1931, Edwin Kiest, an influential Dallas businessman, made a gift of 247 acres of land to the City of Dallas for a regional park as a memorial to his wife, Elizabeth Patterson Kiest, who had died in 1917. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built several stone structures in Kiest Park including stone gates at three entrances to the park, a stone picnic shelter and a stone field house. The WPA also built a formal garden at the heart of Kiest Park. A pergola was built at the head of the garden in 1934 with WPA money. It fell into ruin...
  • Kilauea Visitor Center - Volcano HI
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the Kilauea Visitor Center at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. A plaque outside the building credits the CCC with its construction.
  • Kilbourn House Restoration - Milwaukee WI
    "An unusual WPA project involved the relocation of the Kilbourntown house to Estabrook Park. The Greek Revival home was built by pioneer carpenter and master builder Benjamin Church for his family in the early settlement of Kilbourntown near North Fourth and Court Streets. The building was rescued from demolition and moved in four pieces and restored by the WPA in 1938."
  • Killeen Park (former) Improvements - Bayonne NJ
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to improve what was then known as Killeen Park in Bayonne. The project involved grading 20 acres and seeding 17 acres in the park. It is now part of Mayor Dennis P. Collins Park.
  • Kimball Playground Fort Dupont Park - Washington DC
    In 1942, the Washington Post reported four acres allocated by the Federal Works Agency (FWA) for a play field at Fort Dupont Park (now Fort Circle Park). This is likely the present site of Kimball Playground baseball fields. It is unknown if any work remains from the New Deal era.
  • Kimmell Park - Vincennes IN
    Constructed by the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1938. Four large stone rings and elaborate stone entrance for walk in entry only; picnic area, playground and boat ramp. Memorial to Civil War Veterans. Concrete wall high on east side of Levee that becomes and 8' wall at entrance (all of concrete). Each stone circle has 2 built in fireplace/grills, built in bench a concrete table, a shield with a name and "1938." Each could accommodate about 100 people. The entry gates (pedestrian) open into a round plaza with a flag pole and have 2 relief panels each. The bath house...
  • King Stadium - Las Vegas NM
    "King Stadium is a WPA project originally built to house equestrian events for the U.S. Calvary. Today, the stadium rests in near ruins. Luna Community College hopes to renovate the stadium and hold events - possibly rodeos - there, once more."
  • Kingfisher Park - Kingfisher OK
    Kingfisher Park is a large city park on the east side of Kingfisher, along Highway 33. The park was constructed with a WPA allocation of $11,000 - year unknown. This park is listed as a WPA project in the Oklahoma Landmark Inventory database. Remnants of WPA construction were noted in the native stone picnic tables and a suspension footbridge which has masonry support pillars at each end.
  • Kings Canyon National Park - Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks CA
    In 1940, Congress and President Franklin D. Roosevelt created a new national park to include the glacially-formed splendor of Kings Canyon.  Kings Canyon National Park subsumed the former, smaller General Grant National Park.  Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park are contiguous. Since the Second World War, Kings Canyon and Sequoia have been administered jointly. They are administered by the National Park Service together as the Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks.    
  • Kings County Fairgrounds Improvements - Hanford CA
    Kings County Fairgrounds in Hanford received extensive improvements from Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers in the 1930s.  What exactly was done and what remains of the work is unknown.  Photos are of the present fairgrounds.
  • Kings Mountain State Park - Blacksburg SC
    "Kings Mountain State Park is a South Carolina state park located in the Piedmont region of South Carolina... 6,141 acres (2,485 ha) of this park were donated in 1934 by the U.S. Government. An additional 744 acres (301 ha) were donated and purchased in 1995. The park was largely developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The Kings Mountain State Park Historic District was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008."
  • Kinishba Ruins National Historic Landmark - Fort Apache AZ
    "Kinishba Ruins was constructed by the Pueblo people and occupied as early as 800 until as late as 1400 A.D. Byron Cummings, director of the Arizona State Museum, and his students began excavation and reconstruction of Kinishba in 1931. In 1934 Cummings requested funds from the Civilian Conservation Corps-Indian Division to hire 25 local Apache laborers. Between 1934 and 1937 Kinishba also served as an archaeological field school where Cummings trained more than 70 students. In 1938 and 1939 Cummings and Apache enrollees continued to excavate and restore the ruins; they also constructed a small museum and residence. Cummings hoped...
  • Kisatchie National Forest - Winnfield LA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed facilities at the Gum Springs Recreation Area, located in Kisatchie National Forest. The CCC also planted trees.
  • Kissena Lake Draining - Flushing NY
    In 2002 New York City's Parks Department wrote: "March’s Capital Project of the Month is the restoration of Kissena Lake. It will be undergoing a $1.77 million restoration project, funded by Council Member Julia Harrison, beginning this spring. It is said that the lake and park are named after the Chippewa word "kissina," meaning "it is cold." This capital project is necessary because of construction done to the lake sixty years ago. The WPA drained the lake in 1943 and filled it with a concrete liner, giving it the nickname of a "bathtub lake." While originally this project was meant to improve...
  • Kissena Park - Flushing NY
    The extensive Kissena Park was first established in the early 1900s and now forms part of the "Queens Corridor" park system. In addition to building a golf course at the east end of the park in the mid 1930s, in 1941, the WPA completed extensive work on the main section of the park surrounding Kissena Lake in 1941: "Included in the new improvement is a new modern one story brick boat house and boat landing constructed on the east shore of the lake replacing the old outmoded frame boat house and dock formerly located on the south bank adjacent to the...
  • Kissena Park Golf Course - Flushing NY
    This golf course at Kissena Park in outer Queens was one of several golf courses created with federal funding under Robert Moses' tenure as Parks Commissioner. The Department of Parks first announced the opening of the course in August 1935. Another Department press release in May 1936 announced the opening of the Kissena Park golf course again, suggesting that there was likely further work done in the meantime. The 1936 release further noted that the work was completed "with relief funds provided by the C.W.A., T.E.R.A. and W.P.A."
  • Kiwanis Cabin - Cibola National Forest - Cedar Crest NM
    "The cabin of local limestone was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) around 1930. The cabin was planned by a local Kiwanis group." "The SBAC has determined that the CCC ruins are potentially a nationally significant historic intrinsic quality; however, the only visible site access and interpretation is at the Kiwanis Cabin. Therefore, the SBAC considers this intrinsic quality to be only regionally significant at this time. The Kiwanis Cabin is located seven tenths of a mile from NM 536 Milepost 13.6 (Sandia Crest). There is adequate parking, a visitors center, and an improved path to the site. The U.S....
  • Klamath National Forest Improvements - Yerka CA
    “The Klamath National Forest (KNF) was sponsor to numerous CCC projects and played host to many camps. Throughout the nine years of the CCC program, the Klamath National Forest had ten base camps and numerous spike camps – many of which were forgotten over time. KNF activities assigned to the CCC enrollees included vegetation clearing and CCC camp construction; administration building construction and building improvements (includes ranger stations, guard stations, lookouts, garages, etc.); livestock tanks and troughs; corral construction, drift fence construction; erosion control; trail construction (including the Pacific Crest Trail); waterline construction; well construction; fire fighting; blister rust control;...
  • Klamath Reclamation Project Improvements - CCC Camp Klamath - Merrill OR
    “The Klamath Reclamation Project owes much to the CCC enrollees of Camp Klamath (BR-41) and Camp Tule Lake (BR-20). Between 1935 and 1941 the enrollees’ efforts, under the supervision of the Bureau of Reclamation, resulted in an expansion of the land area irrigated by the Project, and thereby increased the agricultural output of the region. Enrollees at these camps regularly worked on building water control structures of timber and concrete, digging ditches, clearing weeds, and killing rodents. However, some of the projects they completed were far from routine and demanded advanced skills and technical expertise. They also responded to emergencies...
  • Klamath Reclamation Project Improvements - CCC Camp Tule Lake - Tule Lake National Wildlife Refuge CA
    “The Klamath Reclamation Project owes much to the CCC enrollees of Camp Klamath (BR-41) and Camp Tule Lake (BR-20). Between 1935 and 1941 the enrollees’ efforts, under the supervision of the Bureau of Reclamation, resulted in an expansion of the land area irrigated by the Project, and thereby increased the agricultural output of the region. Enrollees at these camps regularly worked on building water control structures of timber and concrete, digging ditches, clearing weeds, and killing rodents. However, some of the projects they completed were far from routine and demanded advanced skills and technical expertise. They also responded to emergencies...
  • Klamath Reservation Improvements - Chiloquin OR
    “Almost immediately upon the initiation of CCC-ID work on the Klamath Reservation, several projects were outlined. Authority was granted to spend $25,000 to conduct CCC-ID conservation work. The first project, implemented on December 9, 1933, was coyote eradication. The second project, started on January 5, 1934, was the Agency-Lone Pine telephone line. The third was to construct the Sycan Bridge, which was started in January. Although the initial projects were not forestry related, most of the CCC-ID work on the Klamath Reservation concerned forestry activities such as fire hazard reduction, tree planting, mistletoe control and especially, pine bark beetle (Dendroctonus brevicomis)...
  • Klawock Totem Park - Klawock AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed the Klawock Totem Park on the Prince of Wales Island, between 1938 and 1940. The CCC selected 21 poles out of the approximately 142 Tlingit and Haida totems that were originally located in the village of Tuxekan. With the accord of the former residents of Tuxekan, the CCC moved the totems to the Klawock Totem Park. The carvings found at Tuxekan were commemorative poles. Unlike other old Native villages, Tuxekan did not have any house post carvings. According to Viola Garfield and Linn Forrest (1961), what also distinguished the carvings at Tuxecan was that they...
  • Kletzsch Park - Glendale WI
    "Kletzsch Park was also greatly improved with the use of relief labor. A Civilian Conservation Corps camp was established in Kletzsch Park in May of 1935 and discontinued in November of 1935. The CCC projects completed included a new dam built across the Milwaukee River with CCC labor. The new structure, built of reinforced concrete in a serpentine design to lengthen the crest, provided increased discharge capacity without widening the river. Models prepared by the landscape design section of the planning department served as guides in erecting the stone facing and the fish ladder built into the face of the dam....
  • Kletzsch Park Improvements and CCC Camp - Glendale WI
    "A sixth CCC Camp was established at Kletzsch Park, a 118.9-acre park adjacent to the Milwaukee River in Glendale. The crew did some landscape work, but its major project was the replacement of the old crib-type dam, which had been badly damaged and partially demolished by recurring floods."
  • Knob Lick Fire Lookout Tower - Knob Lick MO
    This lookout tower was built as a New Deal project, potentially by the CCC, but the agency in charge is not known definitively. The tower is accessible about halfway up to an observation platform and is about 1 mile off of Hwy 67. Views from the platform are excellent in all 4 quadrants. There are no associated outbuildings.
  • Knob Noster State Park - Knob Noster MO
    "Knob Noster State Park is named for the nearby town which itself is named for one of two small hills or "knobs" that rise up in an otherwise flat section of Missouri. A local Indian belief stated that the hills were "raised up as monuments to slain warriors." Noster is a Latin adjective meaning our. Therefore Knob Noster translates as our hill. The park was constructed during the Great Depression by the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration. The CCC and WPA were both part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal a series of government funded programs designed...
  • Knoop Park - Little Rock AR
    From the Arkansas Times: “Originally developed in the 1930s as a Works Progress Administration project, Knoop Park offers visitors hiking trails and picnic tables. The park is known for its striking vistas.”
  • Koehler Pavilion - San Antonio TX
    This structure was built under the Work Progress Administration between the years of 1935 and 1937. It is located in Koehler Park which is adjacent to Brackenridge Park, but most local people just think of this entire area as Brackenridge Park. In 1915 Emma Koehler donated 11 acres of land to the City of San Antonio for a park in memory of her husband, Otto Koehler. The pavilion is available for rental through the City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department; it is a very popular venue for picnics as it is right on the San Antonio River and within...
1 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 103