The historic (and current) main post office in Mount Vernon, New York was originally constructed in 1915. The building received an extension as part of a New Deal project completed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. Work was overseen… read more
From Joseph Conforti’s Creating Portland: “The Public Works Administration constructed a number of staff residences and dormitories on the campus of the existing Maritime Commission hospital, which was completed in 1859.” From Joseph Conforti’s Creating Portland: “The Public Works Administration… read more
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Building was originally constructed for the federal Farm Credit Administration, a New Deal agency. It was built between 1938 and 194o, hence started under the Treasury Department (which handled federal buildings at the time)… read more
Many of the projects of the New Deal involved large scale public works projects that required hundreds of workers. While this type of project was incredibly important to help alleviate widespread unemployment, there was also a belief that the United… read more
Brooklyn, New York’s Metropolitan Station post office (originally known as Station A) was constructed with Treasury Department funds in 1935-6. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, the building is “a two-story, flat roofed brick building with… read more
The historic U.S. Border Inspection Station at Milltown International Bridge in Calais, Maine was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The Neo-Classical facility was completed in January 1939. The facility, since altered, is still in service.
The post office in Mineola was built in 1936 under the Public Works Administration (PWA) program and was designed by architects at the U.S. Treasury Department. It continued to be used as a post office until 1998. It is now… read more
The historic Mott Haven Station post office in the Bronx on East 139th St. was one of several post offices in the borough constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. The post office was initially known as New York, New… read more
The Mount Shasta Ranger Station was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935 in classic rustic park style. The original Ranger Station consists of three buildings – the main office, the timber management office and a guest house – which remain… read more
The Municipal Court building in Jackson, Georgia was constructed as the city’s post office during the 1930s. This New Deal structure served as the post office until 1995, upon its relocation to East 2nd St. The building also housed an… read more
"The building was constructed in 1933, one of the projects undertaken during President Roosevelt's Depression-era New Deal building campaign. Although remodeled in 1965 to make it wheelchair accessible, it remains relatively unchanged since it was built." (Napa County, 82)
The National Archives building was substantially completed under the New Deal and the central stacks were built with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). In 1926, Congress approved $8.7 million for a home for the National Archives. The Public… read more
The exterior of the National Archives is graced by sculptures, bas-reliefs and inscriptions. The building above ground was completed under the New Deal by the Treasury Department Office of Procurement, including the sculptures. Congress originally approved a new home for… read more
The modern campus of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) was established at Bethesda MD during the New Deal. It included the first laboratory of the newly-created National Cancer Institute, as well (the NCI came under the NIH in 1944)…. read more
A federal Treasury Department-funded construction, the old National Leprosarium Infirmary building, “built in 1933, had 68 beds in two open wards–men upstairs and women downstairs. Architects provided screened porches across the front of the building to allow patients fresh air. Notice… read more
Works Progress Administration (WPA) project cards for 1938 at the National Archives indicate that the WPA was charged with making improvements to the grounds, buildings, and distribution systems at the U.S. Naval Observatory. Photograph cards on file at the archives show… read more
The Sprankle Building (also known by later names of The Pembroke and The Daylight Building) is now a 38- (formally 40) unit condominium in the adaptive reused building. Built in 1927, this building housed the initial offices of the Tennessee… read more
"The construction of new postal facilities throughout our country was an integral part of Roosevelt's New Deal. The Democratic president's WPA (Works Progress Administration) put thousands to work, including the many artisans and laborers who built the NoHo Post Office…. read more
The historic red-brick North Philadelphia Station post office was built in 1935. Constructed with federal Treasury Department funds, the building is still in use today.
The historic Northgate Station post office was constructed from 1936-7 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which housed an example of New Deal artwork, is still in service.
Originally the Columbia post office, when the post office moved to Walnut St, the building was converted into the Federal Building, then became the Youzeum, and now is the office for the nursing program at Columbia College. There were 2… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) modernized and expanded the administration building at the original Oakland Municipal Airport (now the North Field of Oakland International Airport). The project was sponsored by the Port of Oakland and cost $70,000. The work added… read more
One-story brick Colonial Revival building, rectangular in shape, on raised basement. Limestone pilasters with Doric capitals surround windows and door in center of facade. Interior of the building is largely intact, including original brass post office boxes.
The Washington Post, September 8, 1933, reported on a Public Works Administration (PWA) disbursement for a number of federal buildings, including $3,121 for roof renovation on the old Post Office Department Building. On October 11, 1933, the paper also reported that:… read more
The historic former Palmer Square post office in Princeton, New Jersey, was constructed in 1934. It was originally Princeton’s main post office. Now, the building is privately owned. The building contains an example of New Deal artwork, “a controversial 1939… read more