The historic Mott Haven Station post office in the Bronx on East 139th St. was one of several post offices in the borough constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. The post office was initially known as New York, New… read more
The CCC conducted extensive work on Mount Greylock State Reservation between 1933 and 1942. From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: “The Mount Greylock Summit, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, contains an exceptional collection… read more
Mount Rainier was the nation’s fifth National Park, established 1899. During the Great Depression the New Deal’s Civilian Conservation Corps greatly aided the park’s development. NPS.gov: “The Civilian Conservation Corps was busily building and repairing park lands and structures from… read more
The Mount Shasta Ranger Station was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935 in classic rustic park style. The original Ranger Station consists of several buildings, including the main office/visitors’ center, timber management office, guest house and auxiliary… read more
The Municipal Court building in Jackson, Georgia was constructed as the city’s post office during the 1930s. This New Deal structure served as the post office until 1995, upon its relocation to East 2nd St. The building also housed an… read more
"The building was constructed in 1933, one of the projects undertaken during President Roosevelt's Depression-era New Deal building campaign. Although remodeled in 1965 to make it wheelchair accessible, it remains relatively unchanged since it was built." (Napa County, 82)
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)’s Camp Fernow, which housed Company #183, was stationed at Natchaug State Forest in Eastford, Connecticut. The camp was established June 29, 1933 and was discontinued May 28, 1941. Among other projects independently listed on other pages,… read more
The National Archives building was substantially completed under the New Deal and the central stacks were added with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). In 1926, Congress approved $8.7 million for a home for the National Archives. The Public… read more
The exterior of the National Archives is graced by sculptures, bas-reliefs and inscriptions. The building above ground was completed under the New Deal by the Treasury Department Office of Procurement, including the sculptures. Congress originally approved a new home for… read more
The modern campus of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) was established at Bethesda MD during the New Deal. It included the first laboratory of the newly-created National Cancer Institute, as well (the NCI came under the NIH in 1944)…. read more
A federal Treasury Department-funded construction, the old National Leprosarium Infirmary building, “built in 1933, had 68 beds in two open wards–men upstairs and women downstairs. Architects provided screened porches across the front of the building to allow patients fresh air. Notice… read more
Works Progress Administration (WPA) project cards for 1938 at the National Archives indicate that the WPA was charged with making improvements to the grounds, buildings, and distribution systems at the U.S. Naval Observatory. Photograph cards on file at the archives show… read more
The Sprankle Building (also known by later names of The Pembroke and The Daylight Building) is now a 38- (formally 40) unit condominium in the adaptive reused building. Built in 1927, this building housed the initial offices of the Tennessee… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Graves operated between May 27, 1933 and April 22, 1936 at Nipmuck State Forest in Union, Connecticut. Among the C.C.C. accomplishments were “8 miles of truck trails” and “fire suppression on the Connecticut—Massachusetts border.”… read more
"The construction of new postal facilities throughout our country was an integral part of Roosevelt's New Deal. The Democratic president's WPA (Works Progress Administration) put thousands to work, including the many artisans and laborers who built the NoHo Post Office…. read more
The historic red-brick North Philadelphia Station post office was built in 1935. Constructed with federal Treasury Department funds, the building is still in use today.
The historic Northgate Station post office was constructed from 1936-7 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which housed an example of New Deal artwork, is still in service.
Originally the Columbia post office, when the post office moved to Walnut St, the building was converted into the Federal Building, then became the Youzeum, and now is the office for the nursing program at Columbia College. There were 2… read more
The campsite is marked primarily by low stone walls and scattered foundations. The camp was occupied in December of 1934 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 517, which was comprised of young African-American boys. Upon completion of their work, the… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) modernized and expanded the administration building at the original Oakland Municipal Airport (now the North Field of Oakland International Airport). The project was sponsored by the Port of Oakland and cost $70,000. The work added… read more
Numerous New Deal agencies had a tremendous impact on the development of Ocmulgee National Monument, the site of pre-Columbian southeastern settlement dating back millennia. “The largest dig ever conducted in this country occurred here at Ocmulgee and the surrounding area…. read more
One-story brick Colonial Revival building, rectangular in shape, on raised basement. Limestone pilasters with Doric capitals surround windows and door in center of facade. Interior of the building is largely intact, including original brass post office boxes.
The Washington Post, September 8, 1933, reported on a Public Works Administration (PWA) disbursement for a number of federal buildings, including $3,121 for roof renovation on the old Post Office Department Building. On October 11, 1933, the paper also reported that:… read more