The historic College Station post office in New York, New York on West 140th St. was one of many post offices in Manhattan constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. This project was implemented by the Public Works Administration…. read more
Originally constructed in 1809-1910 and privately owned, the U.S. government purchased what is now the Robert C. McEwen U.S. Custom House, completely renovating it for federal purposes, during the New Deal era. GSA: “The George Hall Corporation, a shipping company, owned… read more
The U.S. Customs facility located just north of Kalanianaole Ave on the west side of Kuhio St. was constructed with federal funds administered by the Public Buildings Administration of the Federal Works Agency. The building, then called the “Customs Warehouse,” was dedicated on… read more
In 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed living quarters, roads, fences and a well at the Desert Experimental Range Station in Pine Valley UT. The station was established in 1933 by President Herbert Hoover, who set aside an 87-square-mile… read more
The Public Works Administration carried out “repairs and improvements to the quarters of the Director of Police.” The cost of the project was $1,742.89.
The historic Federal Building—originally U.S. Post Office and Court House in downtown Orlando, Florida—was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building was dedicated on April 15, 1941, and continues to serve as the downtown post office for Orlando.
The historic Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Station post office in Milwaukee, Wisconsin was constructed in 1938 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is still in service.
In 1933, the Washington Post reported the appropriation of $2,000 for unspecified repairs and $5,000 for removing old chimneys to the former State, War, and Navy Building – now known as the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. The 1888 building… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this new immigration building: “The New Immigration Building is one of three major New Deal-era buildings at Ellis Island created to meet… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this and another long covered passageway: “A system of covered passageways connected the three islands, providing sheltered circulation during inclement weather. Pipes… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this and another long covered passageway: “The one-story brick passageways on the west side of Islands 2 and 3 are now designated… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this recreation building: “The Recreation Building at the Ellis Island U.S. Immigration Station was designed and built between 1933 and 1937 as… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this recreation shelter: “The Recreation Shelter on Islands 2 and 3 was part of the last active phase of construction at the… read more
The Washington Post, October 11, 1933, reported on Public Works Administration (PWA) disbursements for federal buildings in the District: “Five Government buildings will get new window fixtures here at a cost of $77,324. The departments sharing in this grant are Post… read more
The F. Edward Hebert Federal Building was built from 1935 to 1939 and is still in use. At the time it was built, the Treasury Department was responsible for all federal buildings. Formerly home to the New Orleans Main Post… read more
This red brick post office building was built in 1936 as Philadelphia’s Fairmount Station post office, and is now the Fairmount carrier annex.
“Constructed almost twenty years before Alaska became the forty-ninth state, the Federal Building in Anchorage symbolized the U.S. government’s commitment to the economic growth and development of the territory. Providing residents with a post office, courthouse, and other federal services,… read more
The first federal courthouse in Ketchikan was opened in 1905. By 1913, a federal grand jury requested the government build a new facility. In 1923, a report found the 1905 courthouse “dilapidated beyond reasonable repair and overcrowded past endurance.” Finally,… read more
An extension to the Newport News Federal Building’s main structure was built with Treasury Department funds. Construction was completed in 1941. The building, which is still in use, houses New Deal artwork. The original Newport News Federal Building was built in… read more
The J. Will Robinson Federal Building occupies the former Provo main post office building, constructed c. 1936. The building bears an unexpected cornerstone from 1965, owing to the building’s extensive renovation at that time. The building houses multiple federal agencies… read more
This New Deal post office is now known as the Federal Building: MesaAZ.gov: “The Federal Building was built in 193[6-7] by the Federal Government Department of Treasury to become Mesa’s first 1st-class post office and one of the finest buildings… read more
This federal building, formerly known as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was originally occupied in 1907. According to the General Services Administration, a three-story, 100-foot extension was constructed to… read more
The historic 1907 Federal Building and United States Courthouse in Wheeling, West Virginia was expanded during the New Deal era with Treasury Department funds. Wikipedia: “The 1938 addition, built to accommodate a district courtroom, altered the symmetry of the building…. read more