Building C of the DC Appeals Court was built by the PWA as the district’s Juvenile Courthouse on E St. NW at 4th St. NW in 1940. It was renovated in 2012, and now houses the Information Technology (IT) and… read more
“Located in the historic downtown area of Raton, New Mexico, Arthur Johnson Memorial Library building was originally built and used as a New Deal Post Office. Remodeling in the late 1990’s opened the second floor for use, and included the… read more
The former Atlantic Station post office was originally constructed as Virginia Beach’s Main Post Office in 1937. A Section of Fine Arts mural by artist John H.R. Pickett was installed in the post office in 1939. Unfortunately, the building was… read more
The historic Audubon Station post office in New York, New York is located on West 165th Street, between Audubon Ave. and Amsterdam Ave. It was one of many post offices in Manhattan constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. The post… read more
The historic Babb-Piegan U.S. Border Inspection Station on Highway 89 north of Babb, Montana was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The rustic cabin-style facility was completed in 1993. Replaced in 2003 with a facility closer to the border, the… read more
Berea, Kentucky’s Police and Municipal Center was originally built as the community’s post office. The New Deal building was constructed ca. 1938. It also houses an example of New Deal artwork.
Annexes to the original federal building and courthouse dating to 1905 were completed in 1938. The entire structure was renamed for the late politician Birch Bayh in 2003. From the visitor’s guide to the complex: “Originally half its current size,… read more
The historic Broad Ripple Station post office in Indianapolis was constructed in 1940-1 with Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, is still in service.
The historic Bronx General Post Office was built from 1935 to 1937. It was designed by consulting architect Thomas Harlan Ellett (1880-1951) for the Treasure Department’s Office of the Supervising Architect, Louis Simon. The building is constructed of smooth gray… read more
The Canal Street Station post office in downtown Manhattan was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds in 1937. It was designed by architect Alan Balch Mills. The two story building in the Moderne Style is clad in terra cotta panels, with a black base,… read more
The historic Cathedral Station post office in New York, New York is located on West 104th Street, between Broadway and Amsterdam Ave. It was one of many post offices in Manhattan constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. The post… read more
The Central Martinsville Station Post Office was constructed with New Deal funds in 1939.
Formerly known as the Aiken Federal Court House, this PWA structure exemplifies the Georgian Revival style popular in the South in the 1920s and ’30s. The National Register describes the building’s history: “Constructed in 1935, the steel-framed building has housed… read more
The historic post office building located at 100 Center St. in Chicopee, Massachusetts was constructed by the federal Treasury Department and completed in 1935. Located in the village of Chicopee Center, this was one of two post office buildings from… read more
The historic Chief Mountain (a.k.a. Glacier Park) U.S. Border Inspection Station on State Highway 17 northwest of Babb, Montana was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The rustic facility was completed in 1939, and also features a garage and pump… read more
Sitka, Alaska’s City Hall was originally constructed as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse. Constructed during the Great Depression, the concrete-construction federal building was completed to replace a wooden frame structure that had burned in 1936. The two-story building was… read more
“The Winnemucca MPO [Main Post Office] is a good example of a small town single-purpose post office. The building’s Neo-Classical design originated from standardized plans developed by the National Office of the Supervising Architect. Winnemucca received one of the few… read more
The historic former post office building in Worland, Wyoming was constructed in 1935 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building now serves as Worland’s City Hall. An example of New Deal artwork created for the building has since been relocated… read more
Originally constructed as Kingman’s post office, this building now serves as Kingman’s City Hall Annex. A historic marker outside the building states: “A monument to massive federal building programs during the 1930s, construction of the post office represents the first… read more
The historic College Station post office in New York, New York on West 140th St. was one of many post offices in Manhattan constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. This project was implemented by the Public Works Administration…. read more