The Jackson Heights Station post office of Flushing in Queens, New York “is a historic post office building located at Jackson Heights … The original section was built in 1936-1937, and was designed by architect Benjamin C. Flournoy (1876-ca. 1939)… read more
Completely overgrown ruins- primarily concrete foundations, some breaks, built-up roadways lived with pines, and a large stone chimney and stone/concrete foundation. Occupied by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 1556, 1933 to 1940.
The Medford OR post office and courthouse was originally constructed in 1916. An extension was added by the Treasury Department in 1940. Treasury’s Procurement Division was responsible for all federal buildings at the time and Louis A. Simon was the… read more
The colossal James Farley Post Office Building, so named in 1982, is home to the Main Post Office of New York, NY. The building was originally constructed in 1912, facing Eighth Avenue; a 1934-6 Treasury Department-funded addition doubled the size… read more
The James O. Eastland federal post office and courthouse was constructed in 1933-34. It is a “five-story, limestone, Art Deco interpretation of a classical building” (www.gsa.gov). A new courthouse recently replaced this one, and the Eastland building is now privately… read more
Albany, New York’s historic James T. Foley U.S. Courthouse was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds as the city’s main post office, courthouse, and custom house. “The architects completed their plans in 1931 and the following year, the government awarded… read more
Built as the U.S. Court House and Custom House from 1932 to 1934, this building was Renamed the John Archibald Campbell United States Courthouse in 1981. A 1939-1940 New Deal construction project involved the extension of the building to the… read more
This New Deal Art Deco building was originally constructed as the “post office annex” to the 1908 Federal Building and Courthouse next door. The building still functions as both a post office and a general federal building housing various federal… read more
The Department of Justice Building is part of the Federal Triangle, first proposed by the McMillan Commission in its 1901 report on planning Washington DC. The Federal Triangle is a 70-acre area east of the White House, between Pennsylvania and… read more
Brooklyn, New York’s Kensington Station post office “is a historic post office building … was built in 1935, and designed by consulting architect Lorimer Rich for the Office of the Supervising Architect. The building is a two-story, six-bay-wide brick building… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) crews from the Chimney Park Camp (F-17-W) in Laramie, Wyoming constructed two log structures for the Keystone Work Center from 1939 to 1942. Located on the southeastern slopes of Wyoming’s Medicine Bow Mountain Range, the Keystone… read more
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania’s old Kingsessing Station post office, located at the western corner of Whitby Ave. and S 52nd St., was constructed during the Great Depression with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is now privately owned. A pair of New… read more
The Kofa Refuge is named for the King of Arizona mine. It includes 666,641 acres of protected land. Kofa Refuge literature notes that the Kofa Cabin and upland water tanks for wildlife were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). In… read more
Two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps were established at what is today the La Purísima Mission State Historical Park: Camp La Purísima and Camp Lompoc. They were built back-to-back on the mesa above La Purísima Mission, but housed two separate companies… read more
The historic Lamb County Library building in Littlefield, Texas was constructed as the city’s post office in 1940 with federal Treasury Department funds.
Lamoille Canyon is the largest valley in the Ruby Mountains in northeastern Nevada. It is a spectacular glaciated canyon with several side valleys, surrounded by peaks over 11,000 feet. Much of the canyon lies within the huge Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest… read more
The historic Lenox Hill Station post office in New York, New York is located on East 70th Street, between 2nd Ave. and 3rd Ave. It was one of many post offices in Manhattan constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. The… read more
Originally constructed as the Osborn (later renamed Fairborn) post office, this New Deal building was constructed in 1940 and now houses Fairport’s public library. An example of New Deal artwork created for the building has been relocated to the community’s… read more
The historic former post office building in Floral Park, New York was constructed with Treasury Department and Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds in 1936. The building presently serves as the Floral Park Public Library. Postal operations have been moved to… read more
The John Adams Building is one of three buildings of the Library of Congress. Congress passed a bill to fund an annex to the library in 1930, but construction did not take place until the mid-1930s, making it a New Deal… read more
“This building, which was built in 1938 as a post office in the New Deal project, PWA (Public Works Administration), is the home of a beautiful Peter Hurd mural which is on the front exterior of the building. In Alamogordo,… read more
Originally built as the Lincoln Park Post Office and constructed by the Treasury Department in 1938, the building now houses the Lincoln Park Historical Museum.
CCC Co. 1543 abandoned their campsite and relocated to Turkey Run in 1934. FERA workers seeded the abandoned campsite and WPA laborers salvaged the lumber. Some remaining evidence of the CCC Camp include rock walls, ditches, and concrete foundations.
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Office and Warehouse for Los Angeles Department of Water and Power’s Mojave District Headquarters. The DWP’s Mojave District was responsible for operations and maintenance of the Los Angeles Aqueduct in the… read more
This Mission Revival style building was built under the Roosevelt Administration and served as the main mail distribution for LA until 1994. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Only a part of this structure… read more