Formerly Fresno’s Main Post Office and subsequently its Downtown Station post office, building presently houses the Fresno United School District Education Center. “The U.S. Post Office building housed the main post office branch, as well as Federal courtroom sand offices,… read more
Originally constructed as Treasury Department project and completed in 1935, Philadelphia’s large Art Deco 30th St. post office served the community for many years, before being left vacant in 2006. It has since been converted into a modern office building…. read more
Stamford’s main post office (which was later renamed the Atlantic Street Station post office) was constructed 1916-1917 and was a unique design. Additional improvements were made with federal funding in the 1930s. The building was listed on the National Register… read more
The historic (and current) main post office in Mount Vernon, New York was originally constructed in 1915. The building received an extension as part of a New Deal project completed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. Work was overseen… read more
From Joseph Conforti’s Creating Portland: “The Public Works Administration constructed a number of staff residences and dormitories on the campus of the existing Maritime Commission hospital, which was completed in 1859.” From Joseph Conforti’s Creating Portland: “The Public Works Administration… read more
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Building was originally constructed for the federal Farm Credit Administration, a New Deal agency. It was built between 1938 and 194o, hence started under the Treasury Department (which handled federal buildings at the time)… read more
Many of the projects of the New Deal involved large scale public works projects that required hundreds of workers. While this type of project was incredibly important to help alleviate widespread unemployment, there was also a belief that the United… read more
In 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Recreation Center at McCormick’s Creek State Park. The building served as the CCC’s Camp 589 Recreation Hall. After the CCC vacated the camp, a WPA project adapted it into a nature museum in… read more
Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge is located in northeastern Montana between the Missouri River and the Canadian border. Medicine Lake NWR encompasses 31,702 acres and consists of the 28,438-acre north tract, which includes Medicine Lake, and seventeen smaller water units…. read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) developed Tucumcari Metropolitan Park, a.k.a. Five Mile Park, in Tucumcari, New Mexico. “At one time Tucumcari Metropolitan Park had the largest outdoor pool in the entire state of New Mexico, a playground with lots of equipment,… read more
Brooklyn, New York’s Metropolitan Station post office (originally known as Station A) was constructed with Treasury Department funds in 1935-6. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, the building is “a two-story, flat roofed brick building with… read more
The historic U.S. Border Inspection Station at Milltown International Bridge in Calais, Maine was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The Neo-Classical facility was completed in January 1939. The facility was altered and later replaced in 2014.
The post office in Mineola was built in 1936 under the Public Works Administration (PWA) program and was designed by architects at the U.S. Treasury Department. It continued to be used as a post office until 1998. It is now… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built Camp Nicholas P-53 in the Monongahela National Forest. Pictured are CCC crews carrying out construction activities in 1935.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built camp barracks in the Monongahela National Forest, in 1933. Pictured are CCC crews and barracks under construction photographed by E.S. Shipp in September 1933. This is likely Camp Nicholas P-53.
The Civilian Conservation Corps built a road in the Monongahela National Forest. The company likely belonged to Camp Nicholas P-53.
The US Bureau of Reclamation built the Moon Lake Reclamation Project in 1935-41, with the assistance of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). It provides irrigation water for the the Moon Lake Water Users Association in the Duchesne Valley of northeastern Utah…. read more
Extensive remnants of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp, constructed between 1933 and 1938; concrete foundations, roadbeds, ditches, excavations- overgrown and with a more recent pared road bisecting the area. This site encompasses a larger area and more extensive remnants than… read more
The historic Mott Haven Station post office in the Bronx on East 139th St. was one of several post offices in the borough constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. The post office was initially known as New York, New… read more
The CCC conducted extensive work on Mount Greylock State Reservation between 1933 and 1942. From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: “The Mount Greylock Summit, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, contains an exceptional collection… read more
Mount Rainier was the nation’s fifth National Park, established 1899. During the Great Depression the New Deal’s Civilian Conservation Corps greatly aided the park’s development. NPS.gov: “The Civilian Conservation Corps was busily building and repairing park lands and structures from… read more