- Clarksville, TN
- Site Type:
- Post Offices, Federal Facilities, Auxiliary Federal Facilities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Federal & Military Operations, Treasury Department
- Blair Construction Company
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
The Federal Building in Clarksville, Tennessee—originally constructed as a post office, was constructed during the Great Depression with Treasury Department funds.
The design of the United States Post Office for Clarksville was released April 19, 1935, to be located on the corner of Legion and Second streets. The front of the building is marble, with brick sides with marble trim. Six partial columns extend across the front, spaced between windows/center door, and light posts are on either side of the door on short columns. The lobby floor was marble. Two murals were installed in the building, in 1938, painted by F. Luis Mora. Both murals were reported to have been destroyed. Excavation was begun in June, 1935, following the clearing of other buildings, and construction slated to begin in July by Blair Construction Company. The building is currently occupied by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for Clarksville.
"Architect's Idea of New Postoffice." (April 19, 1935). The Leaf-Chronicle, p. 1.
"Excavation for P. O. Starts Soon." (June 17, 1935). The Leaf-Chronicle, p. 1.
"Contractor is Rotary Guest." (July 31, 1935). The Leaf-Chronicle, p. 1.
Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee's New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. University of Tennessee: Knoxville.
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on June 17, 2019.
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site