The West Virginia Department of Commerce writes: “The forest and its amenities are directly attributable to the development CCC Camp Rhododendron, formerly Camp Preston. A priority for the forest was fire fighting and wildlife food plots to increase hunting and… read more
The Coos Art Museum in Coos Bay was originally constructed in 1936 as the post office for what was then Marshfield, Oregon. Marshfield changed name to Coos Bay on Feb. 15, 1945. The Coos Art Museum (CAM) acquired the building… read more
This structure was built in 1939 by members of the 768th company of the Arkansas Civilian Conservation Corp. It was designed to be a garage and vehicular maintenance building for use by the members of the Forest Rangers. It is… read more
Originally constructed in 1809-1910 and privately owned, the U.S. government purchased what is now the Robert C. McEwen U.S. Custom House, completely renovating it for federal purposes, during the New Deal era. GSA: “The George Hall Corporation, a shipping company, owned… read more
The U.S. Customs facility located just north of Kalanianaole Ave on the west side of Kuhio St. was constructed with federal funds administered by the Public Buildings Administration of the Federal Works Agency. The building, then called the “Customs Warehouse,” was dedicated on… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Decatur Co. CCC camp in Decatur County KS in 1936. According to the Kansas Historical Society, “The former camp ground eventually was consumed by residential and commercial development. Today no remnants of Camp… read more
The CCC worked at what is now Denali National Park for two summers in 1938 and 1939. “The Mount McKinley National Park Headquarters District in what is now called Denali National Park was the original administrative center of the park…. read more
In 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed living quarters, roads, fences and a well at the Desert Experimental Range Station in Pine Valley UT. The station was established in 1933 by President Herbert Hoover, who set aside an 87-square-mile… read more
The Public Works Administration carried out “repairs and improvements to the quarters of the Director of Police.” The cost of the project was $1,742.89.
The historic Federal Building—originally U.S. Post Office and Court House in downtown Orlando, Florida—was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building was dedicated on April 15, 1941, and continues to serve as the downtown post office for Orlando.
The historic Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Station post office in Milwaukee, Wisconsin was constructed in 1938 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is still in service.
J.D. Sutton, a private in the 10th West Virginia Infantry, was a veteran of the Battle of Droop Mountain. As a visionary he began the movement to preserve Droop Mountain. He and other veterans began to worry in the aftermath… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp 23 miles north of Monticello in San Juan County, in the southeast corner of Utah. CCC teams worked around Dry Valley, Indian Creek, Blanding, Monticello and La Sal, building fences and corrals; flood… read more
Although the Eagle Creek Campground opened as the first “auto camp” in the northwest region in 1915, Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) workers made significant improvements to the campground from 1934 to 1937. As early as August 1934, the Oregonian reported that “Eagle… read more
In 1937, CCC workers from Camp Cascade Locks began improvements on recently acquired park land to extend the Eagle Creek campground and picnic area to the shores of the Columbia. These twenty-one acres were acquired to provide access to land… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) set up five camps in the East Bay hills, starting in 1933-34 and carrying on until 1942. From those camps, the “CCC boys” set out into the newly-created East Bay regional parks to do a… read more
In 1933, the Washington Post reported the appropriation of $2,000 for unspecified repairs and $5,000 for removing old chimneys to the former State, War, and Navy Building – now known as the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. The 1888 building… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this new immigration building: “The New Immigration Building is one of three major New Deal-era buildings at Ellis Island created to meet… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this and another long covered passageway: “A system of covered passageways connected the three islands, providing sheltered circulation during inclement weather. Pipes… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this and another long covered passageway: “The one-story brick passageways on the west side of Islands 2 and 3 are now designated… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this recreation building: “The Recreation Building at the Ellis Island U.S. Immigration Station was designed and built between 1933 and 1937 as… read more
The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) describes the New Deal’s extensive work on Ellis Island, which included building this recreation shelter: “The Recreation Shelter on Islands 2 and 3 was part of the last active phase of construction at the… read more
The Washington Post, October 11, 1933, reported on Public Works Administration (PWA) disbursements for federal buildings in the District: “Five Government buildings will get new window fixtures here at a cost of $77,324. The departments sharing in this grant are Post… read more
The F. Edward Hebert Federal Building was built from 1935 to 1939 and is still in use. At the time it was built, the Treasury Department was responsible for all federal buildings. Formerly home to the New Orleans Main Post… read more
This red brick post office building was built in 1936 as Philadelphia’s Fairmount Station post office, and is now the Fairmount carrier annex.
“Constructed almost twenty years before Alaska became the forty-ninth state, the Federal Building in Anchorage symbolized the U.S. government’s commitment to the economic growth and development of the territory. Providing residents with a post office, courthouse, and other federal services,… read more
The Federal Building in Clarksville, Tennessee—originally constructed as a post office, was constructed during the Great Depression with Treasury Department funds. The design of the United States Post Office for Clarksville was released April 19, 1935, to be located on… read more