The Laguna Honda Hospital contains five 8′ x 6′ murals by Glen Wessels, painted with funding from the PWAP in 1934. Four of the murals depict the elements “Earth,” “Air,” “Water” and “Fire,” while a fifth is called “The Professions.”
Victor Arnautoff’s fresco entitled “Life of Washington” consists of twelve panels and totals 1600 square feet. It was produced with the assistance of FAP funds.
This oil on canvas mural “Early Farmers” by Karl Kelpe, and a companion piece (“Pioneers”), were originally in the main entrance of the old Julian School building. They were painted in 1936 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project…. read more
WPA records in the National Archives report that the WPA constructed a new building at the McMillan Playground in Washington DC, and that New Deal wood carvings were installed inside. There no longer appears to be a McMillan Playground in… read more
As part of a larger Capital Parks improvement program assisted by the PWA, WPA, and CCC, New Deal workers did significant work in the grounds immediately surrounding the Washington Monument: “New entrance roads from 14th-st constructed; 15th-st widened and repaved… read more