“On the Hoosier, the CCC crews fought fire, planted trees, developed habitat for fish and wildlife, constructed roads, bridges, campgrounds, and lookout towers. During the early days of the Hoosier National Forest, the CCC served as the primary work force… read more
“This building, in addition to housing the county court and its officers, provides space for the county clerk, treasurer, welfare department, county nurses, agricultural department, school departments, record storage, and for certain bodies of the Federal Government. It is a… read more
This building has multiple murals, including two by Eugene Savage entitled “The Receiver of Taxes,” “The Disbursement of Tax Dollars” and an unnamed mural (all pictured here). They were created 1937, likely with funding from the Federal Art Project [confirmation needed]…. read more
Stone and concrete foundation, stone and timber walls, hipped roof, and asphalt shingles. Constructed in 1939 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 589 (encamped at Salamonie River State Forest) on bluff alone Mississinewa River – now overlooking Mississinewa Reservoir (constructed… read more
Large windows, glass block over modern 2 pane windows, central entry replaced with glass. 1936 addition included large 1/1 windows with flat arch brick lintels and limestone sills. Gym & north wing were Public Works Administration (PWA) construction from 1936.
The Works Progress Administration built the Inland Naval Armory, also know as the Heslar Naval Armory. According to historian Glory-June Greiff, “[…] the stunning WPA-built Naval Armory, the work of architect Ben H. Bacon, has graced the bank of the non-navigable White River since… read more
Construction of the Hovde Hall of Administration was enabled by Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds in the form of a $151,875 grant. The total project cost was $372,577. Construction occurred between Dec. 1935 and Jan. 1937. PWA Docket No. IN [W]1001
The CCC first arrived at the park in 1933. Quarters were soon built for 250 CCC boys. The CCC would help build “trails, bridges, camps, shelter, and more.” (http://friendofindianadunes.org/historic-page/) The CCC also built roads, gatehouses and other facilities. “A CCC… read more
The Wilson Shelter is located at the Indiana Dunes State Park. The shelter was completed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
Multiple New Deal agencies: the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) and the Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) contributed to the development of the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Projects included the Coliseum, WPA Barns, and a WPA Tunnel.
“Architect Merritt Harrison considered this building his finest creation. PWA (Public Works Administration) funds made it possible for the Fair Board to build this structure, which was to be a “Livestock Pavilion.” Harrison used tan brick and Indiana limestone on… read more
“Built by WPA as an example of an ideal modern farmhouse and later used as an officer’s club during WW II. Built of concrete block, the house includes an attached garage, wiring, plumbing, and other modern conveniences.”
“This building was originally constructed by the WPA in 1936 as an exhibition hall. From this area behind the Home and Family Arts Building you can see the upper floor living quarters for seasonal fair workers. Also, this open parking… read more
“The State Fair Board has recently restored a number of these wooden buildings. They were all built with WPA funds. The WPA was one of several of FDR’s New Deal alphabet soup programs designed to help jobless workers during the… read more
“Built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the tunnel provided a way for automobiles to park in the infield.”
In the 1930s through the early 1940s, Indiana University’s Bloomington campus was expanded through New Deal funding. The construction of the IU Auditorium (formerly the Hall of Music) began in 1938 with PWA funding. The Auditorium is built with Southern… read more
Federal funds, via the Public Works Administration (P.W.A.), enabled $195,000 of construction work of the then-in-progress World War Memorial. P.W.A. Docket No. IN 2200
Originally a lumber shed adjacent, and sawmill building nearby. A long concrete foundation remaining may have been one of these. A 1935 photo shows a building where the foundation is. About 750’ N of the barn is a ruin- a… read more
Completely overgrown ruins- primarily concrete foundations, some breaks, built-up roadways lived with pines, and a large stone chimney and stone/concrete foundation. Occupied by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 1556, 1933 to 1940.
Concrete foundation, wood shingles. Built in 1935 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) as a museum building, constructed with logs from an old cabin (furnished by Jackson Co Historical Society), the Peter’s house, that had stood in the vicinity of Vallonia.
Historic shelter house in process of being completely rebuilt-essentially only the stone fireplaces. Constructed between 1934 and 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co 1556 occupied in the forest.
The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Oven Shelter in the Jackson-Washington State Forest in Indiana in 1934. “This oven shelter in Jackson-Washington State Forest, featuring two fireplaces ovens and grills, was a typical New Deal-era structure in picnic groves. The entire… read more
Impounded nearly circle pond of approx. ¾ acre. Overflow outlet at Southeast. Intended to display aquatic plantings cypress trees line the far edge on the north and west. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935.
Approx. 7 acre. lake, impounded by earth dam with small concrete overflow outlet. Small hip-roof frame structure. The two structures below the dam comprised a filter plant. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.
Concrete foundation, gabled roof. Historic photo indicates there was a 6th garage door south of present office entrance. Dormers originally flat-roofed. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.