Excellent example of recreational development in a state forest constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 513 in 1934.
2-acre “lake” impounded by Earth Dam (N-S) with small concrete spillway. Small frame square building with hipped roof, presumably preprocess, SW of spillway. Small open picnic shelter with hipped roof, NE of dam (may be of Lake Vintage). Similar to… read more
Some of these buildings may pre-date the New Deal, but between 1933 and 1939, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) engaged in considerable lumber milling activity while encamped here, and weekly built some of the sheds, at least (They built lumber… read more
Stone walls, wood proches. Clark State Forest is one oldest, established in 1903. This building, constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935, probably replaced the old administration building constructed in 1905 at this site.
School foundation, from 1934, remounts in a celery now adjacent to I-65. On one consorts foundation a more rebuilt picnic shelter has been erected (Gabbled, open-sited). Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 513 OCCUPIED CAMP S-51 in May 1933, along with… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1597 was active at Clifty Falls from November 1933 until 1938. The CCC built roads, trails, gatehouses, shelters, barns, and more. To enhance the outdoors experience projects exhibited designs that were rustic and harmonious with… read more
The Saddle Barn was completed in 1935 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers. The style of the barn is classified as Parks Rustic. The barn was damaged during a tornado in 1974 and was later remodeled into a nature center.
CCC laborers completed two stone arched bridges at Clifty Falls. The first one was completed in 1936 and crosses Dean’s Branch. The bridge has 2′ high stone walls spanning the length of the bridge.
The Lilly Memorial Lookout was completed in 1936 by CCC laborers. The picnic area contains a stone seat that stands 4′ high. The picnic area also contains 18″ stone fences.
CCC laborers completed two stone arched bridges at Clifty Falls. The second bridge was completed in 1936 and crosses Little Clifty Creek.
Originally known as the Saddle Barn, this building was completed in 1935 by CCC laborers. The style of the barn is classified as Parks Rustic. The barn was damaged during a tornado in 1974 and was later remodeled into a… read more
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The north gatehouse at Clifty Falls was completed by CCC… read more
The CCC laborers completed the picnic site in 1936. The site contains stone walls surrounding the picnic benches.
The Shelter House is located at Clifty Falls. It was completed by CCC laborers between 1935 and 1936. The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The south gatehouse at Clifty Falls was completed by CCC… read more
Works Progress Administration built the Crystal Beach Pool and Bath House in Madison IN. The National Parks Service describes the history of the pool: “Madison’s Crystal Beach Swimming Pool and Bath House are two monuments of the WPA’s work in… read more
Ernest Kasas painted the mural titled “The Gift Of The Book To Mankind” at the East Chicago Public Library. While sources attribute the work to the Federal Art Project, the date (1934-35) is too early for that program; so it is… read more
Terre Haute’s historic U.S. Post Office and Court House was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds and completed in 1935. The building has been remodeled by Indiana State University; currently known as Federal Hall, the building houses the Scott School… read more
This massive work is a large triptych on the second floor of the former Terre Haute Federal Building that now houses Indiana State University College of Business. The mural portrays the scene of the signing of the Magna Carta in… read more
Stone walls, gabled roof, 2 stone chimneys, asphalt shingles. Constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 1513 in 1936.
Approx. 40-acre lake impounded by earth dam. A combined Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project. Lake intended in part as water supply for a fish hatchery below the dam. CCC Co. 1513 occupied the camp… read more
Concrete foundation, clapboard walls. Hipped roof and asphalt shingles. Difficult to see completely due to plants. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935.
Stone foundation, stone walls, hipped roof, asphalt shingles, stone chimney. Very similar to Homing Ridge Shelter house at Salamonie State Forest, except only one fireplace. Excellent example of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) mentionable development in a state forest. Exemplify styles’… read more