Constructed with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1936, the 5th Avenue Bridge spanned Pigeon Creek, south of Diamond Ave, though it is no longer extant. It was a modified parker truss bridge, polygonal top chords, lacks cross diagonals in… read more
From April 1939 until May 1942, 277 men worked for the WPA at the Angel Mounds Site near Evansville, Indiana under the direction of Glenn A. Black, archaeologist for the Indiana Historical Society. During the project over 2 million artifacts… read more
“This building of glacial stone and the surrounding 17 acres of fishing ponds and structures are a tribute to natural aesthetics, an idea important to the League who made this building their clubhouse. The Argos Izaak Walton League was established… read more
National Youth Administration (NYA) was stationed at Avoca State Fish Hatchery from 1935 until 1942. The improvements to Avoca State Fish Hatchery was one of the longest NYA projects undertaken in the state. The NYA built a shelter house with… read more
Quoins at corners-smooth limestone also on buttresses. Ticket windows along facade, 1 story 6 windows, flat roof-bonded cement overhang. All windows filled with cement block. Facade: 2 pairs of double doors w/transom. Large open space, wooden stairs to bleachers. Walls… read more
Annexes to the original federal building and courthouse dating to 1905 were completed in 1938. The entire structure was renamed for the late politician Birch Bayh in 2003. From the visitor’s guide to the complex: “Originally half its current size,… read more
The Birch Bayh Federal Building annex (the rear portion of the building, toward E. New York St.) features two vehicular entrances—one at the northeast and one at the northwest corner of the building. They are capped by identical limestone friezes, titled “Distribution… read more
“Mail, Transportation and Delivery” and “Early Present Day Indianapolis Life” are two sets of murals painted by Grant Christian in 1935-6 with funding from the Treasury Relief Art Project. The artwork, which is not accessible to the general public, consists… read more
About 8.6 acres, renovated by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), completed in 1942 . Bridgeton Historic District is located along Bridgeton’s Mains Street and encompasses the town’s center of commerce, industry, civic activity. Collom’s General Store (56005) and Bridgeton Country… read more
The historic Broad Ripple Station post office in Indianapolis was constructed in 1940-1 with Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, is still in service.
“Suburban Street” is a 1942 Section of Fine Arts mural entitled “Suburban Street” by Alan Tompkins. The size of the mural is 11’9″ x 5’2″ and the medium is oil on canvas. The work is installed in Indianapolis’s historic Broad… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) laborers improved Brown County State Park from 1933 – 1934. The CWA laborers built shelters and worked on establishing trails during their brief stay at Brown County State Park. In 1933 two Civilian Conservation Corps… read more
CCC laborers completed the park amphitheater in 1936. The amphitheater was built into a wooded hillside near the Abe Martin Lodge, as a place for programs and entertainment. The seats, stage, and steps were all made from native stone.
In 1934 a vast archery hunting ground was established in the eastern part of the Brown County State Park. In 1935 CCC laborers completed the Archery (Hunters’) Shelter. The shelter is classified as parks rustic state park.
The site was originally the camp of Emergency Conservation Work (ECW) laborers. In 1934 it became the home of CCC Co. 1557, which was comprised of World War I veterans. The marker commemorates CCC laborer and reads “It was in… read more
Hesitation Point was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The vista sign explains view (height, atmosphere). Hesitation Point is a good example of vistas cleared by CCC workers.
CCC laborers completed the Lower Shelter in 1936. The shelter is two stories with multiple fire places. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The north gatehouse is one of two at Brown County… read more
The Ogle Lake Shelter was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The shelter overlooks Ogle lake and the earth dam to the south. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
CCC laborers completed the oven shelter in 1940. Inside the stone shelter is a two-sided stone fireplace. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
Several oven shelters were built throughout Brown County State Park between 1934 and 1940 but only a few survived. The oven and drinking fountains are in the vicinity of Lower Shelter. The style of the shelter is classified as parks… read more
The Weed Patch Shelter, also commonly known as Peach Tree Shelter, was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The building was originally called Vermin Shelter, today it is known as the recreational building. Originally the building was used to educate people about local animals. The shelter hosted various small predatory animals (hence the name “vermin shelter”) for public… read more
CCC workers completed the Brown County State Park saddle barn in 1936. It is the largest saddle barn of any Indiana state park, with stalls for 25 horses. The saddle barn is classified as Parks Rustic.
Strahl Shelter was renovated by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The Upper Shelter House was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. CCC workers also constructed a drinking fountain near the shelter. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The west gatehouse is one of two at Brown County… read more
The West Lookout Tower was completed by CCC laborers in 1936. The building is a two story structure overlooking a valley. The style of the lookout is classified as parks rustic.
Concrete foundation, clapboard walls. Gabled roof, asphalt shingles, stone chimney. Carpenters is other skilled workers employed through the Civil Works Administration (CWA) worked on the buildings as well as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The building is now only used… read more
"This structure stands in a 37-acre tract of land which includes a park, a high-school site, fields for baseball, football, and tennis, and extensive automobile parking space. The building contains a gymnasium-auditorium with 3,156 permanent balcony seats and 2,200 additional… read more
“Clark State Forest, located just north of Henryville, Indiana in the United States, is Indiana’s oldest state forest, formed in 1903 as a forest research facility and a nursery and later expanded by the Works Progress Administration. Originally 2,028 acres (8 km²)… read more