The bath house, or beach pavilion, was a cooperative effort between CCC and WPA workers. The structure was left unfinished at the start of World War II. Park employees were able to complete the pavilion in 1942.
The beach shelter was completed in 1935 by CCC laborers. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The CCC completed nine identical family cabins between 1938 and 1939. The cabins are typical of CCC construction, and represent the movement in recreational developed in the 1930s toward promoting group and family camping.
The maintenance shed was constructed by CCC laborers in 1938. The CCC used the maintenance shed for storage and truck maintenance.
“Federal New Deal employment programs of the Great Depression further upgraded the airfield. In 1933, the Commerce Department’s Aeronautics Branch and the Civil Works Administration (CWA) began a nationwide program of airport development. The CWA funded 13,108 man-hours of labor… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers worked together to build a bathhouse. The project spanned from 1933 till 1941. The project was abandoned by the New Deal agencies at the onset of World War II. The… read more
The Butternut Grove Shelter was completed in 1934 by CCC laborers. The shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The CCC Camp SP10 is located west of the service building. At the site there are multiple stone markers. “Here Lies Old Man Carelessness, September 1939” is inscribed on a limestone marker. The significance of the marker has not been… read more
Picnic area with stone patio and benches with a fireplace and two tables Located south of the Butternut Shelter on Trail 4 ENTIRELY NOT New Deal – I took a video of a female pileated woodpecker drilling on a fallen… read more
The Donaldson Shelter was completed by CCC laborers in 1934. In 1940 the shelter was moved and remodeled by CCC laborers. The CCC workers added fireplaces and a comfort station. The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The CCC laborers completed three overnight cabins in 1938. Two of the three cabins remain today. A photograph of cabin 2 was in the 1938 National Park Service Publication, Park and Recreation Structures. The style of the overnight cabins is… read more
The refreshment stand was completed by CCC laborers in 1934.The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The service building was completed by CCC laborers in 1940. The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The souvenir stand was completed by CCC laborers in 1940. The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The Spring Mill Inn, completed in 1939, was the only new park hotel built during the New Deal years, and the extent of the WPA’s involvement with this project, if any, remains unclear. Records indicate CCC laborers contributed to building… read more
The CCC laborers completed the Spring Mill Lake in 1937. The CCC workers also built a dam. The dam has remained in use and is unaltered.
The Sycamore Shelter was completed by CCC laborers in 1935.The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
These restrooms were completed by CCC laborers in 1934. The style of the structure is classified as Parks Rustic.
Building was the hatchery office, since replaced by a pole barn to the South (Building now empty). More recent development is to the south (an additional pond, a property manager’s residence), and west of the lower ponds (headquarters and maintenance… read more
Concrete foundation, hipped and gabled roof, and flat-roofed dormers all 4 sides. Site of Starve Hollow nursery immediately to South with white pine plantings. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1938 and 1939.
175-acre lake impounded by earth dam. Large concrete spillway Southeast end. Set in heavily wooded hollow. Fish hatchery below dam. Constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1938 and 1939.
The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) supplied an “unprecedented” $3,120,000 loan to Charles W. Chase to “expand further the Indianapolis [street car] system and buy even more state-of-the-art cars.” These efforts helped increase patronage of the street car system by 25%,… read more