Box Elder High School Gymnasium – Brigham City UT

“In Brigham City, the PWA sponsored another public building, the Box Elder High School Gymnasium. This was a more ambitious project, one of twenty Utah school gymnasiums built during the 1930s. Of red brick, the building cost $106,000. Its construction… read more

Bryce Canyon National Park – Bryce Canyon UT

Bryce Canyon was originally designated as a national monument by President Warren G. Harding in 1923 and became a national park through an act of Congress in 1928. The park covers 35,835 acres in south center Utah. The New Deal… read more

Bryce Canyon National Park: Cabins – Bryce Canyon UT

Several cabins for Bryce Canyon National Park employees were built by New Deal agencies over the course of the 1930s.  They appear  in the residential area of the Park near the lodge. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a 3-room employee cabin… read more

Bryce Canyon National Park: Miscellaneous Improvements – Bryce Canyon UT

In addition to the major New Deal projects added to Bryce Canyon National Park (see related pages), many smaller projects were undertaken. In 1933-1934, the Public Works Administration (PWA) received modest funds for four small projects: two employee cabins (see… read more

Camp W.G. Williams Hostess House – Riverton UT

The WPA and FERA built the “Hostess House” at the recently opened Camp Williams National Guard training site in 1935. From the National Register of Historic Places: “This public works-sponsored building is an example of the Period Revival/ English Tudor… read more

Capitol Murals (State Capitol Rotunda) – Salt Lake City UT

In early 1934,  the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP) sponsored ten local artists to decorate the Utah State Capitol, led by Lee Greene Richards. The others included Ranch Kimball, Henri Moser, Gordon Cope, Florence Ware, J.T. Harwood, Walter Midgley and Millard Mallin…. read more