- Bryce Canyon, UT
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Infrastructure and Utilities, Roads, Bridges, and Tunnels
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) performed road work in Bryce Canyon National Park from 1934-1941. The CCC made grading improvements on the Rim Road (the 20 mile-long road through the park) and built service roads. The exact locations of such work cannot be ascertained today, but the roads are still there.
The CCC also built parking lots at the Bryce Canyon Lodge and the headquarters building in 1936 and 1939.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) did some road work as well, in 1938-1941.
Park rangers and architectural inventory report from the 1990s (typescript obtained from rangers)
Site originally submitted by Richard Walker on July 28, 2016.
At this Location:
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Cabins - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park Improvements - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: South Campground - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Rainbow Point - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Trail Work - Bryce Canyon UT
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site