- Fillmore, UT
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Military and Public Safety, Armories
- New Deal Agencies:
- Works Progress Administration (WPA), Work Relief Programs
- Niels P. Larsen
“During the 1930s, UTNG used federal money, often supplied through the Works Progress Administration (WPA), to build or expand a number of UTNG facilities. The WPA funded eight armories and several garage and storage areas for the UTNG. By 1940, 13 armories were in use by the Utah Guard including” that in Fillmore.
“A bronze plaque on the east pilaster on the north elevation reads: “Fillmore Armory Constructed by Utah State Armory Board, Fillmore City and the Works Progress Administration 1937.” The Fillmore Armory was designed by Niels P. Larsen, an architect who designed many buildings while working with the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Several architect-designed plans for public work buildings and for the National Guard armories were used repeatedly. For example, the National Guard Armories in Nephi, Spanish Fork (both no longer standing), Manti, and Mount Pleasant were constructed from the same plan that was also used at Fillmore. The architect’s plan called for brick construction although concrete framing was finally used during the construction of Fillmore.” (army.mil)
Source noteshttps://www.ut.ngb.army.mil/environ/Cultural_Resources/HSMT/fillmore.html www.ut.ngb.army.mil/environ/Cultural_Resources/HSMT/HISTORY/Armory%20histories.doc https://utahcfa.org/project/armory-national-guard_127-1
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 23, 2016.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site