- Bryce Canyon, UT
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Campgrounds and Cabins
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Work Relief Programs
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laid out the first campground in Bryce Canyon National Park in 1934. Several campsites are leveled using tell-tale CCC stone-work. Water and sewer lines were laid. The original tables no longer exist but metal fireplaces appear original.
Also at the South Campground is the amphitheater, build by the CCC in 1934. Originally called the “lecture circle,” it has a simple wooden stage (which can be opened like a giant closet door) and rows of benches. The old wooden benches have been replaced by plastic ones.
Site originally submitted by Richard A Walker on July 27, 2016.
At this Location:
- Bryce Canyon National Park Improvements - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Rainbow Point - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Trail Work - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Road Work - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Cabins - Bryce Canyon UT
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site