1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • Water and Sewer Systems - Moab UT
    A substantial waterworks and sewer system construction project was undertaken in Moab, Utah during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $32,000 loan and $13,118 outright grant to the community for the project, whose total cost was $49,391. Construction occurred between December 1934 and May 1935. PWA Docket No. UT 1951 On January 4, 1934, the Times-Independent newspaper reported that the Moab water/sewer project had been approved by federal officials, which also funded the Moab public school building and Grand County courthouse.  Local voters had previously approved a bond issue in support of...
  • Water Supply - Murray UT
    The Federal government assisted the city of Murray, Utah by expanding its municipal water supply. This was accomplished by "driving tunnels into the hillside at McGhie Springs." The area known as McGhie Springs is located at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon.
  • Water System - St. George UT
    A waterworks construction project in St. George, Utah was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $101,500 loan and $41,300 grant toward the $152,499 total cost of the project. Work occurred between January 1936 and July 1937. (PWA Docket No. UT 1578)
  • Water System Development - Blanding UT
    A substantial waterworks-improvement construction project was undertaken in Blanding, Utah during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $25,000 loan and $20,454 outright grant to the community for the project, whose total cost was $44,050. Construction occurred between September 1938 and April 1939. PWA Docket No. UT 1125
  • Waterworks - Heber City UT
    The PWA funded the construction of these buildings for the Heber City waterworks, contracted by E.K. Ferguson & Sons of nearby Spanish Fork. It is unclear if the buildings survive, but they cannot be discerned from satellite imagery. Based on Google Street view imagery, the original photo appears to have been taken facing west northwest at the edge of town, consistent with the current location of the city's water department.
  • Waterworks - Trenton UT
    The PWA funded the construction of the waterworks in Trenton.
  • Wayne County Courthouse - Loa UT
    The historic Wayne County Courthouse in Loa, Utah was constructed as a New Deal project with Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor. The building is still in service. Prior to its construction, "county officials originally met in private homes and rented quarters and later converted a store into office space." (UCM)
  • Western Park Grandstand (former) - Vernal UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a grandstand at the Uintah County fairgrounds, now known as the Uintah County Western Park.  We do not know the year of construction. A report on historic sites in and around Vernal, Utah, says that there were several New Deal projects, including street work and sewers in Vernal, work at the dinosaur quarry at Dinosaur National Monument,  41 reservoirs, 150 miles of roads and 20 bridges.  These were done by various New Deal agencies, which are not specified here in that report (Lufkin 2004, p 6).  The county fair grandstand would have been built by the...
  • Wilson Elementary School Addition (demolished) - Logan UT
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of an addition for the Wilson Elementary School in Logan, Utah.   The PWA Docket number was 1004-R (Utah). The architect of record was K. C. Schaub. The old Wilson School has been replaced by a new structure in recent years.
  • Woodland Grade School (demolished) Improvements - Woodland UT
    Originally built in 1913, the former Woodland Grade School in Woodland, Utah underwent alterations and improvement work as part of a Public Works Administration (PWA) project, Docket # 1023-R (Utah). The architect of record was Ashton and Evans. The facility is no longer extant.
  • Zion National Park - Washington County UT
    "The historical buildings and structures of Zion National Park represent a variety of buildings, interpretive structures, signs and infrastructure associated with the National Park Service's operations in Zion National Park, Utah. Structures vary in size and scale from the Zion Lodge to road culverts and curbs, nearly all of which were designed using native materials and regional construction techniques in an adapted version of the National Park Service Rustic style. A number of the larger structures were designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood, while many of the smaller structures were designed or coordinated with the National Park Service Branch of Plans...
  • Zion National Park: Bridge Abutments - Washington County UT
    The bridge abutments at the Emerald Pools and Angel's Landing trailheads along the Virgin River display rock work that was clearly done by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  The abutments and foundations have survived even though the original bridges have been washed-out several times by the river and replaced.
  • Zion National Park: Canyon Overlook Trail - Washington County UT
    The Canyon Overlook Trial at Zion National Park was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933.  It runs about a half mile from the east portal of the famous Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel to an overlook at the Great Arch.  Sections of the trail are cantilevers over sheer stone cliffs.  The trail was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
  • Zion National Park: East and South Entrance Signs - Washington County UT
    The East and South Entrance Signs were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934 and 1935 and are made of locally-quarried red sandstone pillars, with horizontal logs supporting the signs. The signs were designed by the National Park Service Branch of Plans and Designs in 1936 and made by CCC workers from Camp NP-2. They were altered in 1940 to the design of Park Service architects H.W. Young and A.C. Kuehl and the south entrance sign was rotated in 1960 so that it stuck out of the pillar on the east side rather than the west side in order...
  • Zion National Park: East Entrance Check-In - Washington County UT
    The smaller of the two check-in stations at Zion National Park is the East Entrance check-in.  The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completed the entrance in 1935.  (The North Entrance check-in was added in the 1990s.)  In 1934, the CC constructed a small ranger residence across the road from the check-in station.  The National Park Service designed the residence. Both the residence and the check-in have not been significantly modified or rehabilitated in over 80 years.  The residence was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
  • Zion National Park: Great White Throne Overlook - Washington County UT
    In 1942, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a path on the east side of the main road up to a viewing platform.  The CCC built the construction in stones that face west toward the Throne of the Patriarchs.  It is still intact, with modest rock work and the original concrete pathway.  The Great White Throne Overlook was the last CCC project in Zion before Congress cut the CCC funding.
  • Zion National Park: Pine Creek Irrigation Canal - Washington County UT
    Mormon farmers excavated the Pine Creek Irrigation Canal at the turn of the century, using water from Pine Creek to irrigate farmland on the west side of the Virgin River near Bridge Mountain.  The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built new headworks in 1934.  The CCC used a 15-foot sandstone boulder as an anchor to draw water directly from the Virgin River 1/4 mile upstream from the Pine Creek, conveying the water over Pine Creek in a flume.  The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funding.
  • Zion National Park: South Campground Amphitheater - Washington County UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the South Campground Amphitheater in 1934-35 in typical stonework for the stage, walls, walkways and steps.  Red sandstone was used in accordance with National Park Service rustic design principles.  The original wood benches, set on stone blocks, were replaced with metal seats in 1956.  The amphitheater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 14, 1987.
  • Zion National Park: Trail Work and Roadwork - Washington County UT
    The higher elevation portions of the East Rim Trail at Zion National Park were originally completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  They were intended as a government road and truck trail.  Vehicular use quickly diminished and it became a foot trail. Although the CCC did not built any other roads and trails in the park, CCC men did significant work on slope stabilization and retaining walls along all of the trails and roads.  Typical CCC stonework can be seen in several places shoring-up trails and roads.
  • Zion National Park: Virgin River Rip Rap - Washington County UT
    Several revetments (rock flood walls) along the Virgin River in Zion National Park's main canyon were installed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  Unfortunately, this kind of flood control work was a hopeless endeavor and most of the revetments were washed-out. Where they remain, however, they channelized the river, which is even worse because it has altered the deposition regime of the river and affected the ecology of the flood plain through the bottom of the canyon.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7