- Bryce Canyon, UT
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Forestry and Agriculture, Viewpoints and Overlooks, Paths and Trails, Campgrounds and Cabins, Park Roads and Bridges, Erosion Control, Pest Control, Fences
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Public Works Funding, Work Relief Programs, Public Works Administration (PWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Bryce Canyon was originally designated as a national monument by President Warren G. Harding in 1923 and became a national park through an act of Congress in 1928. The park covers 35,835 acres in south-central Utah.
The New Deal greatly improved Bryce Canyon National Park. Along with the National Park Service, the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided special funds, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked continuously in the park, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was also active.
The National Park Service recognizes the CCC’s contribution on its website for Bryce Canyon NP, but not that of the PWA or WPA:
“During the 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps made many improvements to Bryce Canyon National Park. These included campground development, under-the-rim trail, Fairyland Trail, boundary fences, parking areas, museum-overlook at Rainbow Point, erosion control and insect pest control.” (NPS website)
Park Rangers were helpful in pointing out some of the CCC work and provided us with a copy of a historic structures inventory made in the park during the 1990s. Specific sites are not marked as New Deal, however.
https://www.nps.gov/brca/historyculture/park_history.htm, accessed June 16, 2013.
Site originally submitted by Charles Swaney on June 16, 2013.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
At this Location:
- Bryce Canyon National Park: South Campground - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Rainbow Point - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Trail Work - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Road Work - Bryce Canyon UT
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Cabins - Bryce Canyon UT
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site