1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 117
  • Waterworks - Fairview WV
    A waterworks improvement project in Fairview, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $9,000 loan and $7,372 grant toward the $16,384 eventual total cost of the project. Work occurred between Feb. and Aug. 1936. PWA Docket No. W Va. 1026-R
  • Sanitary Sewers - Marmet WV
    A sanitary sewer construction project in Marmet, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $21,000 loan and $14,347 grant toward the $31,881 eventual total cost of the project. Work occurred between Mar. and Jun. 1936. PWA Docket No. W Va. 1021-R
  • Waterworks and Sewers - Vienna WV
    A large waterworks and sewer construction project in Vienna, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $135,000 loan and $105,973 grant toward the $235,815 eventual total cost of the project. Work occurred between Mar. and Dec. 1936. PWA Docket No. W Va. 1020-R
  • Waterworks - Franklin WV
    A waterworks construction project in Franklin, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $27,000 loan and $22,172 grant toward the $50,354 eventual total cost of the project. Work occurred between Jun. 1936 and Feb. 1937. PWA Docket No. W Va. 1013-R
  • Waterworks - Thomas WV
    A waterworks construction project in Thomas, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $33,000 loan and $27,000 grant toward the $60,068 eventual total cost of the project. Work occurred between Feb. and Sept. 1936. PWA Docket No. W Va. 1011-R
  • Petersburg National Battlefield: Museum Art - Petersburg VA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) produced sketches and other works for what is now known as Petersburg National Battlefield. The status and present location of these works is unknown to Living New Deal. Wallace and Conway: "In time, additional displays included a number of attractive water colors, pastels, and charcoal illustrations done under a Works Progress Administration art project sponsored by the park in 1937. These illustrations depicted uniforms, battle scenes, and maps of battlefield areas around Petersburg and Richmond." Richmond Times-Dispatch: "The WPA art project for the Petersburg National Military Park in progress for a year and a half has been...
  • Virginia Tech: Armory - Blacksburg VA
    The Armory, now part of the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Virginia, was originally constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project in 1936. The PWA supplied an $18,000 grant for the then-National Guard armory, whose total cost was $42,544. Primary construction began in January and was completed in December 1936. The project is sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), including on a historic information board outside the building's entrance. Once it had fulfilled its original purpose the facility served as an auditorium for what was then the nearby Blacksburg High School. Per VT.edu, the Armory was...
  • Fort Baker Improvements - Sausalito CA
    From 1936 to 1938, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) did renovations and upgrades to Fort Baker, an Army base on the north side of the Golden Gate dating from the early 1900s. One project included renewal of the storm water drainage system, repair of the electric and water distribution system, and three new fire hydrants. It also included installation of a steam heating system in Barracks No. 1 (structure no. 602), which had been heated by fireplaces. (Thompson, p. 59) Most of the buildings got a new coat of paint, inside and out. Latrines, kitchens, and mess halls received two coats of paint.  Later,...
  • East Park - Connellsville PA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built East Park in Connellsville, Pennsylvania between 1936 and 1940.  “In January 1936, Connellsville came together for suggestions to transform the dump back into a more recreational attraction….This transformation started in 1936 and continued until 1940. One of the first things to happen at this site was a fence being built to keep out trucks from dumping. One of the first improvements created as a playground area. By August 1939, many were starting to use the playground area for recreation and even boxing exhibitions.” “As the East Park improvements continued, they were also put on hold with...
  • Honeyman State Park: Park Office (former Park Caretaker's House)- Florence OR
    From 1936 to 1941, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Honeyman State Park, just south of Florence, Oregon, under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS).  The parkland had been purchased by the state from 1930 to 1936. Honeyman Park covers over 500 acres along Highway 101 (the Oregon Coast Highway), tucked behind the Oregon Dunes National Seashore.  It includes two freshwater lakes, Cleawox Lake within the dunes and the much larger Woahink Lake east of the highway. There is a day-use area on the north side of Cleawox Lake, a large campground south of that lake and water sports...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 117