1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 116
  • Museum (former) - Scottsbluff NE
    In 1936 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a gorgeous stone museum in what was then known as Old Settlers Park—now Pioneer Park—in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. The structure, whose present function is unknown to Living New Deal, is still extant and can be found in the west side of the park. Five colors of calcerous limestone for the building was quarried for the project from Ingleside quarries in Colorado, 105 tons in all. One stone mason, Manuel Huberto, who lived in Mitchell, voluntarily walked 20 miles round trip daily to participate in the project. "He took great pride in his work, which...
  • Library - Morrill NE
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the public library in Morrill, Nebraska in 1936.
  • Dam and Lubeck Reservoir - Orleans NE
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted a massive dam on the John Lubeck farm southwest of Orleans, Nebraska. The farm is placed three miles west and four miles south of Orleans, per an article in The Orleans Enterprise. The dam was "350 feet long and 22 to 23 feet in height, measuring 110 feet at the base and 13 feet across at the top." It was planned that the lake impounded by the dam would become a resort. Per Google Maps, a lake called Lubeck Reservoir is impounded by a dam that generally fits the dimensions above. The structure is located...
  • Library - Sabetha KS
    The library in Sabetha, Kansas was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA supplied a $21,375 grant for the project, whose total cost was $43,665. Construction occurred between Dec. 1936 and Jun. 1937. The building bears no cornerstone and no dedication plaque was on-site as of 2023. However, the building does bear multiple original fixtures. Per The Belleville Telescop, the library was also home to one of a number of Works Progress Administration (WPA)-established local county museums. The entire top floor of the new library in Sabetha was utilized for one of these WPA museums. PWA Docket No. 1186
  • School (former) - Douglas NE
    A school in Douglas, Nebraska was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA supplied a $15,252 grant for the project, whose total cost was $34,277. Construction occurred between Nov. 1936 and Aug. 1937. The former school is located on the east side of Washington St. south of N Rd. The building bears a 1936 inscription above the front entrance. PWA Docket No. 1059
  • Camp Angeles Crest - Pasadena CA
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Angeles Crest (F-384) was established in Oak Grove Park, in Pasadena, California, July 1936 (Oak Grove Park is now called “Hahamongna Watershed Park”).  The camp was in operation until at least 1941, and for much of that time (perhaps the entire time) it was the home of CCC Company 903. Camp Angeles Crest and Company 903 were chosen by the CCC’s Ninth Corps Area to create an education model for the Corps.  “Such courses as erosion control, road building, surveying, U.S. Forest Service training, mechanics, etc., were included in the curriculum, and through this vocational training...
  • School - Johnson NE
    Johnson, Nebraska's Johnson School, originally constructed as a high school, was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA provided a grant of $16,506 for the project, whose total cost was $38,391. Construction occurred between Feb. and Oct. 1936. The facility has been expanded into a larger educational campus. PWA Docket No. Neb. 1050
  • Rossville High School (former) - Rossville KS
    Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration, the former high school in Rossville, Kansas was constructed with the assistance of Public Works Administration (PWA) funding. The PWA supplied a $38,004 grant for the project, whose total cost was $85,724. Construction occurred between Decembet 1936 and September 1937. PWA Docket No. Kan. 1095 The building was used for as a high school until 1979. The location and status of the building is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Waterworks - McLouth KS
    A waterworks construction project in McLouth, Kansas was undertaken during the Great Depression as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA provided a $26,000 loan and $21,086 grant for the project, whose total cost was $47,237. Construction started in Oct. 1936 and was completed in Aug. 1937. The status and location of the project are presently unknown to Living New Deal; however, it is likely that the water tower located at the northwest corner of the intersection of W Lake St. and Summit St. was a part of the project. PWA Docket No. Kan. 1143.
  • Post Office - Lamar CO
    The historic and distinctive post office in Lamar, Colorado was constructed as a New Deal project, with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. HistoryColorado.org: "Built in 1936, it is the only remaining post office of its type in Colorado. The building is an especially pleasing example illustrating the Spanish Colonial/Mediterranean influence on Neo-Classicism." The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 116