1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 116
  • City Pool - Mt. Carmel IL
    This beautiful circular pool was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938.
  • City Hall (former) - Marion NC
    The historic former city hall in Marion, North Carolina was constructed as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. It was "begun in August 1936 and completed in 1937, at a cost of $25,000.00."
  • City Hall (former) - Elmdale KS
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided the labor for the construction of the now-former city hall in Elmdale. As of 2023 the building appears to be abandoned. According to a historical marker, the city hall was built between 1936 and 1937 and funded jointly with the city of Elmdale providing $1,500 and the "Federal Government" providing the remaining $3,674.10 of the total cost of $5,174.10. "The building served the Elmdale area for more than just city administrative functions. A wide variety of social and community organizations used the building for meetings and activities. This included groups such as the Boy Scouts and...
  • Waterworks Development - Danbury CT
    A waterworks improvement project was undertaken as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. The P.W.A. supplied a $256,500 grant for the project, whose total cost was $583,095. Construction occurred between May 1936 and Jun. 1937. P.W.A. Docket No. CT 1173
  • Joyce Kilmer Memorial Fireplace - St. Paul MN
    The Joyce Kilmer Memorial Fireplace is a unique New Deal project located in Como Park in St. Paul. Saint Paul Almanac: "Labor for the fireplace was provided by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a federal relief program that provided jobs for unemployed workers during the Great Depression. An old newspaper article said that the stone used to build the fireplace came from the Saint Paul City Hall, which had been demolished three years earlier in 1933."
  • Waterworks Office Building - Marianna AR
    The office building for the Marianna waterworks was built in 1936-1937 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). Projected cost was $11,697 with the PWA contributing $5106. The building is constructed of red brick in the Spanish Revival style. Now on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Memorial to the Start Westward of the United States - Marietta OH
    Memorial in Muskingum Park, Marietta, Ohio commemorating the first permanent American settlement in the Northwest Territory in 1788. Memorial includes a statuary group created by Gutzon Borglum, sculptor of Mount Rushmore carved in local sandstone by WPA workers, landing esplanade on the Muskingum River built by WPA, and four pylons on Front Street topped with eagles also sculpted by Borglum at the North and South entrances to the park. Borglum did not attend the 1938 dedication because he (correctly, it turns out) disagreed with the decision to execute the sculpture in sandstone rather than bronze. Project is underway to restore...
  • Eleanor Roosevelt Community - San Juan PR
    In October 1936 -- two years after the First Lady visited Puerto Rico to assess social and economic conditions -- it was announced that the New Deal’s Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration (PRRA) was taking bids for the construction of the Eleanor Roosevelt housing development.  We don’t know which firm won the bid, but by 1939 about 472 homes were completed and about 1,500 more were planned.  The Eleanor Roosevelt neighborhood still exists today – it is a subbarrio of Hato Rey Norte, in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico had been plagued by hurricanes, poverty, sub-standard housing, and a lack of...
  • Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge - Lakeview OR
    President Roosevelt signed an executive order on December 21, 1936 to establish the Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge in Lake County, Oregon. This area served the largest, remaining pronghorn antelope herd in the United States. Comprised of Hart Mountain and the surrounding desert range, the 215,516 acre refuge included property purchased from private owners as well as land in the public domain. Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees helped establish management of the antelope refuge through work conducted over several years. CCC Camp Hart Mountain operated from 1937 through 1939. CCC enrollees constructed new roads and improved the existing one, laid-out horse and...
  • Trout Building - Centralia IL
    The Trout Building at Centralia Township High School was the home of Orphan and later Annie Basketball from 1936 until 2006 when a new high school opened. At present, it is part of the City Hope Church, Centralia, IL. Construction of the facility was enabled by a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) grant, as evidenced by information on the building's cornerstone. Per primary records, the PWA supplied a $53,181 grant for the project, whose total cost was $125,078. Construction occurred between Nov. 1936 and Oct. 1937. The building faces Second Street on the back side of the block occupied by City Hope...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 116