• Oregon State Capitol Building - Salem OR
    "The Oregon State Capitol replaces a structure which was destroyed by fire in 1935. It occupies the site of the former building and is the dominating feature of a well-designed city plan. A mall has been laid out from the main façade of the capitol, cutting through several city blocks, which will be flanked on each side by future buildings of the State government, one of which, the State library, has already been constructed. It is one of the few PWA projects for which an architect was selected through competition. The first floor is occupied by offices and work space for...
  • Post Office Mural - Rocky Ford CO
    The mural "The First Crossing at Rocky Ford" hangs in the lobby of the historic Rocky Ford post office. "With the Great Depression, fewer people could afford to patronize the arts, severely impacting the careers of artists. The Treasury Departments Section of Fine Arts provided employment by sponsoring artwork in federal buildings. Many of the post offices constructed during the Depression were decorated with murals or other artworks commissioned by the Section of Fine Arts. Funds for artwork were based on 1% of the total appropriation for the buildings construction. Victor Higgins was hired to paint a mural above the postmasters...
  • Ho-Ho-Kus Public School - Ho-Ho-Kus NJ
    "The new school occupies the corner of a 7-acre lot, permitting the development of athletic and play fields. It is a combination grade and junior high school and provides an auditorium and gymnasium, as well as the necessary classrooms and special rooms. It is of semifireproof construction and was completed in April 1937 at a construction cost of $198,628 and a project cost of $219,275." (Short and Brown) Wikipedia; "The original school building was constructed in 1936. Over the years, several additions have been made to the school. The most recent construction added 30,000 square feet of space, primarily in the middle...
  • City Hall - Saginaw MI
    "This city hall occupies the site of a former building which was destroyed by fire on April 9, 1933. It is approximately 120 by 140 feet over-all in plan and is two stories and a basement in height. As it is on sloping ground, the basement windows are above grade on the rear. The basement provides space for the public-welfare department and for a small courtroom. On the first floor are most of the city offices and space for record storage. The council chamber, the mayor's offices, and the department of public works are on the second floor. The building is fireproof,...
  • Charity Hospital (derelict) - New Orleans LA
    Charity Hospital was constructed between 1936 and 1940 in central New Orleans, about a mile north of the downtown by today's Interstate 10.   Charity Hospital was one of two teaching hospitals which were part of the Medical Center of Louisiana at New Orleans. For decades it served one of the country's largest populations of uninsured citizens. At the time it was built, Charity Hospital was the second-largest hospital in the United States. The cornerstone lists the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (later called the Public Works Administration) as the building funder. The architects were Weiss, Dreyfous & Seiferth, who were also...
  • Clinton Federal Building: Reliefs and Sculptures - Washington DC
    The William Jefferson Clinton Federal Building, originally the US Post Office Department, was begun under the Hoover Administration and completed under the New Deal in 1934.  It is richly decorated with New Deal artworks paid for by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. There are 25 murals and 22 sculptural elements: 12 bas-reliefs, 2 statues, and 8 carved wood medallions. The building serves today as the headquarters for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).  It includes a local branch post office, called Benjamin Franklin Station, on Pennsylvania Avenue, that is open to the public; but entry to the rest of the building...
  • Boulder High School - Boulder CO
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded a beautiful new high school for the city of Boulder in 1936-37, replacing an obsolete structure built in 1895. The project cost $550,500.  The school's design is Streamline Moderne (Art Deco) and one of the architects was Glen Huntington, the builder of the noted Art Deco Boulder County Courthouse (which is not a New Deal structure). The exterior facade is done in the same local "Colorado Red" stone as buildings on the University of Colorado campus. The original interior of the auditorium is intact and probably the cafeteria, as well, along with many of the details,...
  • City Hall and Auditorium - Montgomery AL
    In a survey of federal projects constructed with PWA funding in 1939: "The population of Montgomery, the capital city of Alabama, was 66,079 in 1930. Its city hall was destroyed by fire in 1932 and shortly thereafter a grant from the P.W.A. made possible the construction of a new building, which was placed on a site adjoining the State capitol. It is two stories in height and accommodates the water department, police department, tax collector, health department, engineering department, and the mayor and his staff. In addition, it provides an auditorium with a seating capacity of 2,300, a stage, and miscellaneous offices. The...
  • City Hall - Lindsay CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of this magnificent city hall in Lindsay CA in 1936.  The building style is Mission Revival, designed by local architect Fred L. Schwartz. It has been little altered and stands today as a reminder of the elegance of so many mid-20th century civic buildings. "The new city hall in Lindsay is a U-shaped structure with over-all dimensions of 158 by 65 feet. The wing on the left is used as a hall for public meetings and for sessions of the court. The wing on the right contains rooms for the chamber of commerce and...
  • La Purisima Mission State Historic Park: Seegert Fountain - Lompoc CA
    As part of the New Deal reconstruction of Mission La Purisima, Helen Seegert created a concrete fountain at the east end of the complex in 1936.  It was paid for by the Federal Arts Project (FAP) of the Works Progress Administration (WPA).