- Saginaw, MI
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, City and Town Halls
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
“This city hall occupies the site of a former building which was destroyed by fire on April 9, 1933. It is approximately 120 by 140 feet over-all in plan and is two stories and a basement in height. As it is on sloping ground, the basement windows are above grade on the rear.
The basement provides space for the public-welfare department and for a small courtroom. On the first floor are most of the city offices and space for record storage. The council chamber, the mayor’s offices, and the department of public works are on the second floor.
The building is fireproof, of reinforced concrete, and the exterior walls are faced with slightly rough native stone in narrow courses laid irregularly with flush mortar joints. The trim is of sawed limestone and a small amount of marble at the main entrance.
The volume of the structure is approximately 545,000 cubic feet. It was completed in November 1937 at a construction cost of $294,349 and a project cost of $312,526.”
P.W.A. Docket No. MI [W]1097
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 60.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site