• Eastern High School for Girls (Former) - Baltimore MD
    The PWA constructed this building to house the Eastern High School for Girls in 1936-38. In 1979, it became a coeducational school. The school closed in 1986. The buildings were renovated in the 1990s and are now being used for offices by the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. The PWA's 1939 buildings survey described the new school as follows: "This high school…occupies a site of 24 acres in Venable Park, which is developed into an athletic field, a quarter-mile running track, fields for archery, handball, tennis, and badminton courts.   Of the 75 classrooms, 25 are equipped for special instruction. There are also a...
  • Post Office - Chester PA
    Constructed by the Treasury Department in 1936.
  • Post Office - Marceline MO
    The historic post office in Marceline, Missouri was constructed in 1936 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, is still in service.
  • J. Roy Rowland Courthouse and Post Office - Dublin GA
    This New Deal federal building was constructed in 1936-37 by the Treasury Department under supervising architect Louis A. Simon. The building is located back-to-back with the county courthouse.
  • Post Office Mural - Hopewell VA
    The Hopewell post office contains a noted 1939 oil-on-canvas mural by Edmund Archer entitled "Captain Francis Eppes Making Friends with the Appomatox Indians."
  • Post Office - Hopewell VA
    The historic post office in Chatham, Virginia was constructed in 1936 with Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, is still in service.
  • Post Office Mural - Martinsville IN
    "The Arrival of the Mail" is a Section of Fine Arts mural completed by Alan Tompkins  in 1937 for the Martinsville post office. The size of the mural is 16' x 5'6" and the medium is oil on canvas.
  • Post Office - Glen Ridge NJ
    This historic New Deal post office was constructed between 1936 and 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. According to the Glen Ridge Paper, the dedication of the building took place on June 19th, 1937.
  • Brooklyn Museum (Williamsburg Houses) Murals - Brooklyn NY
    In 1936, "when the United States was still reeling from the Great Depression, a series of murals was commissioned by the Federal Art Project (FAP), to be painted in the community rooms at the Williamsburg Public Housing development in Brooklyn, NY. This development was built in 1936-37, designed by the chief architect William Lescaze. The head of the New York Murals of the FAP division in 1937 was Burgoyne Diller. It was a brave move to commission a series of abstract murals from avant-garde, relatively unknown artists. At the time, most murals (perhaps all) were figurative... The artists whose murals were found in the...
  • Water Treatment Facilities - Lorton VA
    According to an index of WPA projects in the National Archives, the WPA constructed a sewage disposal plant, sedimentation tanks, a sludge digestion tank, and dripping beds in Lorton in 1936. In 1938, the Washington Post reported that funds were allocated for the PWA to conduct further improvements. Exact location and status of project unknown, but the facility could now be the site of the Norman M. Cole, Jr. Pollution Control Plant, Virginia's largest such facility.