• Fall River Entrance Ranger Station - Rocky Mountain National Park CO
    In 1936, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed three buildings for what was then called the Bighorn Ranger Station at the east entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park – which was the original entrance on this side of the park. The group included a ranger office with garage, a ranger residence and secondary residence/utility building. The three structures were designed by Edward Nickel of the park service in the classic National Park rustic style popular in the first half of the 20th century. "The residence building particularly reflects the design characteristics of the style with its uncoursed native stone foundation, log...
  • Humboldt General Hospital Expansions (replaced) - Winnemucca NV
    Humboldt General Hospital in Winnemucca has been around in various forms since the 19th century. The first hospital on the present site was established in 1908.  It was expanded with new structures in 1936, 1942, 1962, 1973 and completely rebuilt in 2015-16. The 1941-42 expansion was undertaken with a $14,121 grant by the Work Projects Administration (WPA), while the 1936 addition was undertaken with a $24,545 grant by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The 2015-16 reconstruction of the hospital effaced all traces of buildings before the 1960s. Old Hospital before being torn down in 1972 - Winnemucca NV
  • P.S. 164 (Caesar Rodney School) Murals - Brooklyn NY
    The school auditorium contains a set of murals by Sacha Moldovan entitled "New York Old and New," painted under the auspices of the WPA. "Drawing inspiration from historic images of New York as well as 1930s views of the city, Sacha Moldovan created a fanciful panorama of New York City, old and new, blending recognizable landmarks with a naïve sensibility. Moldovan was born in Russia but lived and worked in Paris, where he came of age artistically as a member of the School of  Paris, befriending Henri Matisse and Chaim Soutine. Moldovan’s paintings feature thick applications of brilliant color, heavy outlines, and...
  • Abraham Lincoln High School Murals - Brooklyn NY
    Artist Seymour Fogel painted two murals, entitled "African Music and European Music" and "Religious and Modern Music", in the Music Room (Room 327) of the Abraham Lincoln High School in 1936-37.  The New York Schools website shows only a portion of the first mural on its excellent Public Art for Public Schools pages, so it is uncertain if the latter mural is still extant.
  • Gwen B. Giles Station Post Office - St. Louis MO
    The historic Gwen B. Giles Station post office—also known as Wellston Station (prior to a Congressional renaming)—in St. Louis, Missouri, was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds between 1936 and 1937. The building, which houses a New Deal mural inside, is still in use today.
  • Post Office - Dwight IL
    Constructed by the Treasury Department in 1936.
  • U.S. Custom House (former) Murals - New York NY
    The old Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House dates to 1902-1907 and today serves as the New York branch of the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian, as well as housing the New York branch of the National Archives and the records of Reginald Marsh. During the Great Depression, the Treasury Relief Art Project (TRAP) funded artist Reginald Marsh to decorate the main rotunda ceiling with a series of massive frescoes.  The frescoes, painted in 1936-37, depict eight New York Harbor scenes and eight portraits of great navigators. The ensemble is one of the most magnificent of New Deal mural installations in New York City.  
  • Post Office - Ticonderoga NY
    The historic post office in Ticonderoga, New York "was designed and built in 1936-1937, and is one of a number of post offices in New York State designed by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department under Louis A. Simon. The building is in the Colonial Revival style and is a symmetrically massed, one story brick building with a stone watertable. The slate covered gable roof is topped by a square, flat-topped cupola with Doric order pilasters."
  • Post Office - Springville NY
    The historic post office building in Springville, New York was built "1936-1937, and is one of a number of post offices in New York State designed by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department under Louis A. Simon. The building is in the Colonial Revival style and is a one story brick structure crowned by a square, flat-topped cupola."
  • Post Office - Long Beach NY
    The historic post office building in Long Beach, New York "was built in 1936 and designed by the Office of the Supervising Architect under the direction of Louis A. Simon. It is a one-story, symmetrically massed building faced with red brick in the Colonial Revival style. It features a central five-bay-wide section with a gable roof, flanked by single bay end pavilions with gable roofs perpendicular to the central section." (Wikipedia) The building became also houses an example of New Deal artwork, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.